Just in case, I took some "finished" pictures with the base in case I mess things up after this or just can't get it to stay on the base.  I would actually be happy with it and if this was a 5 day challenge I would be relieved to have made it (okay pictures are about an hour late for a 5 day challenge but whatever.)

Will I continue to work on it the next two days?  I don't think I can stop myself and I'll probably go down to the wire.  So at least I'll have a stopping point recorded before then.

here it is after 5 days and 1 hour (and one size 10/0 brush):

More pics after the spoiler.

image.jpg.1b0c16fccbdc252ce7ac6f1af2a42a9f.jpg

image.jpg.6833133896aaa4c92c8a63e28d424ad5.jpg

left

image.jpg.2471420438c394fe9afd38961d762fe3.jpg

Close ups

image.jpg.5079f55e99a642c459c99cb27c61da17.jpg

image.jpg.63dc743b1db44259b59406b5528ab167.jpg

base

image.jpg.e494a72880bdf5907614d28bedfd8d93.jpg

let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see.  And thanks everyone for following along!

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Most of the gaps on Khanjira are probably too big for that method. I'm sure it would work for little hairline cracks, but I'm doubtful that it would be the right application here. 

However, that method absolutely works for doing away with missed moldlines. I use GW's 'Ardcoat for it, as that's what Jessica Rich specifically recommended when I was having trouble with a big moldline on a skirt, but I could see it working with any thick varnish. 

Guindy, how does GW 'Ardcoat compare to Reaper MSP brush-on sealer?  I use brush-on sealer or Liquitex matte medium, which is thicker than brush-on sealer.  Usually I go with the thinner product and do more coats when I'm fixing mold lines.  

I was going to recommend an acrylic modeling paste or molding paste or the similar (same?) liquid green stuff for gaps, but if time's an issue, I'd just wait as InvisibleThumb said.  Most of the gaps I've fixed are small, and I'm having a hard time seeing the gaps in his pictures, so I don't know how those products would fare here.

InvisibleThumb, looks like you are virtually done at this point.  Good work!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Serenity said:

Guindy, how does GW 'Ardcoat compare to Reaper MSP brush-on sealer?  I use brush-on sealer or Liquitex matte medium, which is thicker than brush-on sealer.  Usually I go with the thinner product and do more coats when I'm fixing mold lines.  

I haven't used Reaper MSP brush-on sealer for concealing mold lines, but I believe it's about the same viscosity as 'Ardcoat. The big difference is that 'Ardcoat is a glossy varnish. Not a problem when you're putting matte paint on top of it, but it's something to keep in mind.

• Like 5

I am claiming victory over Khanjira.  After taking a 24+ hour break I returned to finish to my satisfaction.  First I had to wash the skin with a much darker mix of red shadow and walnut brown.  Then dry brushed the moldy skin back and finally used dusky skin to give a few imperfections.  Yes, my Khanjira has freckles!

after touching up the spikes and plates again I finally put down a coat of sealer over most of the figure (not the base). With he sealer in place I finally worked up the nerve to try one more thing with the back spikes.  Surprisingly I did not go for more alien goo!  Actually I did touch the nose horn with some, but it just did not look right on the back.  Instead I made a few "rings" with blue flame and along one edge input hearth fire and along the other edge gem purple.  It is a little messy, but given how many spikes I had to navigate to do this while all assembled, I'm surprised it came out as well as it did. 

So here is my final photo session.

image.thumb.jpg.46f97132eb9f65cdefe693a6f06622eb.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.22d369cbda83afe35ba0aa5da495cb6c.jpg

Top view

image.thumb.jpg.2b0ac603b5d0e76e5aa752e173809499.jpg

Close up of back spikes

image.thumb.jpg.d7400ac09c11be8acfbdb172e23e5456.jpg

• Like 14

Huzzah and well done indeed!!! :bday::bday::bday:

I love how unearthly he looks, the color combinations you chose look just so awesome together! And I think the back spikes turned out VERY nice indeed; he looks almost like a sea urchin or some poisonous marine creature from above. :wub:

Congratulations on joining us crazy folks in the 7 day Goblin Challenge club! ::D:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

Khangratulations on Khanquering Khanjira!  This is the part where I award you your Fancy Badge for your signature, but this is the first 7-day done since the new forum upgrade... so let's see if I can figure out how to make this work so you can save it. 

As well, if you PM me your address I will send you out a not-trophy package.  This will be a new kind with a smaller, easier to produce plaque (people still waiting on my backlog, this is why yours aren't out yet.  The trophy place didn't want to make any more of the big ones for the original agreed price, mostly because Cletus made too many errors), I have made new arrangements and should have some sample pieces within a week.  These can be batch done, so when one of these is complete I'll have everything to hand and just have to mail it.  No more bottleneck!

So, your Fancy Badge (if this works):

khanbadge_zpsnrqtsamr.jpg

(looks like it did, you should be able to right-click and save that)

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

So, your Fancy Badge (if this works):

khanbadge_zpsnrqtsamr.jpg

(looks like it did, you should be able to right-click and save that)

It worked!  I won't reveal how long it took me to figure it out.

So sending home address.  Gosh, that's a major crack in my Armor of Internet Anonymity +1.  Granted, I'm planning on joining in a Frostgrave game and meeting face to face with Chris Palmer and others, so I guess I'd better get comfortable with the idea.  I already shared with him my first name!  

Okay, I'll do it.  Thank you for hosting this challenge Buglips and to all of you following along and cheering!  It got me to really stretch myself and clear a big one out before Bones 3 gets here.  Speaking of which, just got my shipping notice! :bday:

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, InvisibleThumb said:

It worked!  I won't reveal how long it took me to figure it out.

So sending home address.  Gosh, that's a major crack in my Armor of Internet Anonymity +1.  Granted, I'm planning on joining in a Frostgrave game and meeting face to face with Chris Palmer and others, so I guess I'd better get comfortable with the idea.  I already shared with him my first name!  

Okay, I'll do it.  Thank you for hosting this challenge Buglips and to all of you following along and cheering!  It got me to really stretch myself and clear a big one out before Bones 3 gets here.  Speaking of which, just got my shipping notice! :bday:

If there's anyone you can trust, it's Buglips the Goblin. Just don't turn your back on him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

If there's anyone you can trust, it's Buglips the Goblin. Just don't turn your back on him.

You can't prove nothin.

Also, technically I only need an address where you can retrieve the mailout... it doesn't need to be your actual address.

And now you know why Guindyloo still has all of her paint.

• Like 5