Bones IV pre-launch & news

Harrek

I would really like to jump on the DF train, but it is just too damn expensive for the use I could make of it.. even if having a full dungeon in my (in the future) basement would be totally amazing, I know it is a luxury I should not go for.

I don't have a problem with getting both ZB:GH and at least the core set of BonesIV.

Thank you wallet, you are such a good friend !

• Like 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Sayloth said:

I do like DF stuff but I just cannot justify the cost. Its not hard to build a vacuum and once you get into molding and casting (which isn't that steep of a learning curve) it's just not that great of a value compared to these bones Kickstarters and I think the bones terrain looks better though I have not seen many large pieces. For DF $250 you get enough to make 2 maybe 3 cottages with some extra bits. This all just really makes me want a date for this thing and I've gotten very excited about all of this. I'll wait patiently...ok no I'll just be waiting patients went out long ago. It will be my first Kickstarter and my first real dive into bones. I have never used reaper paints and I saw a few colors that we just what I had been looking for and hope to see some more paint add-ons. Has anyone used their paints? Comparison to Vallejo, GW, Army and P3?

The value is in time....Resin casting is time consuming.  The time it would take to assemble a tower out of hirts arts stuff?  DF is for the people that cant do that.  I agree they are a bit pricey I still need more floors..

Reaper paints vs GW paints....Reaper paints superior.  However, Shades from GW rule all... Reaper Metals in the past have not been so great but I understand they have revamped their metal line.  I only have Vallejo Transparents which are great...Havent used their normal paint in years though.  Never used Army (except their primer which is awesome)  and P3 I couldnt tell you anything.  Oh if you do a lot of resin stuff DW paint is pretty good..though its not cheaper than apple barrel so..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sayloth said:

What I'd like to ask about is these Kickstarters. How has everyone's experience been. Any issues with quality? Minis not completed? Is it worth it I guess? I would really love to make a pledge for the core set if a bones 4 is really going to happen and some additional sculptures. 

They are totally worth it. Pledging for the core package gets you tons of great minis for very little. 

In the first bones KS there were a couple of minis that did not get produced, because the sculptors missed their deadlines. Rather than delay the whole project, reaper moved on. (Those two sculpts as currently available in metal.)

The quality is very good. There are sometimes issues, but as reaper has become more familiar with the material, those issues have dwindled. From the first KS there was a handful of minis that did not meet reaper's standards, so they cut them until the mold issues could be addressed. Those minis are now available in the store.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Sayloth said:

Hello everyone. I am not new to the world of minis but I am new to Reaper and Kickstarter also. I have been playing DnD for a little while now. I come from a GW background (don't attack me I hate them too). I make a lot of my terrain because it's just saved me money and I enjoy it. I have a few questions I'd like answered if anyone has the knowledge also I'd like some opinions and experiences. I have seen bones before and have even picked up some for NPCs. I like them. Quality is great. Price is great and I have not had any paint issues. What I'd like to ask about is these Kickstarters. How has everyone's experience been. Any issues with quality? Minis not completed? Is it worth it I guess? I would really love to make a pledge for the core set if a bones 4 is really going to happen and some additional sculptures. Anyone have a date for bones 4? Make me pledge or help me avoid misfortune...thank you everyone.

Truth be told, if you like the Bones minis, there is no better way to get a ton of them for a song than with one of the Kickstarters.  Prices via the KS are fractions of what you will later spend at retail.  The only downside is the wait.  My advice on that is to pledge, pay, and then forget about it.  Assume with any KS that it will take time and will likely take 50% to 100% longer than expected to fullfill (I have never seen one that hasn't, Reaper or otherwise).  

<back to sculpting>

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Well, if this kicks off in June or July, my pledge will be much higher if they include a set of 4 245/40ZR18s, otherwise most of my pledge funds will actually be new tire funds.  Any idea on the treadwear rating on Bonesium??

I don't have the numbers at hand, but IIRC, the floppy ones have much better wear characteristics than the rigid ones.

• Like 4

I kinda wish they would reveal all the nice new minis in June, but at the same time it'd be easier to pledge for me if there is another month in between. 

DF is no real threat to my wallet, while I love their stuff, it's just too expensive, especially when you add on the VAT etc. And you need A LOT to make whole Dungeons/castles.

So I made the decision to fulfill all my terrain needs with paper craft (which is cheaper and easier to store) and put all my hobby money into actual miniatures.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Well, if this kicks off in June or July, my pledge will be much higher if they include a set of 4 245/40ZR18s, otherwise most of my pledge funds will actually be new tire funds.  Any idea on the treadwear rating on Bonesium??

Who needs new tires when he has got a box of Bones? Why leave the house at all? ;)

• Like 9