Bones IV pre-launch & news

Harrek

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Arkady said:

Technically, for a company run by an accountant, 'spring' totally means Q2 and thus lasts until June 30th. ;)

Of course, they could be taking the Southern Hemisphere route, and thus, Spring is still several months away.  I mean, they didn't technically say Northern Hemisphere Spring.  :p

• Like 8

Requesting a cup, pint, or whatever size of Brown Liner as part of the next Reaper KS. 

That stuff really does a good job of pre-shading a Bones figure, and helps find those dreaded mold lines. Unlike regular plastic miniatures, after you've scraped off the mold line, the plastic underneath can be painted, so doesn't need re-priming. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, ced1106 said:

Requesting a cup, pint, or whatever size of Brown Liner as part of the next Reaper KS. 

That stuff really does a good job of pre-shading a Bones figure, and helps find those dreaded mold lines. Unlike regular plastic miniatures, after you've scraped off the mold line, the plastic underneath can be painted, so doesn't need re-priming. 

Have you tried Pokorny Paints from Dwarven Forge.?  I tested the Base Wood on some Bones beds with no primers and it stuck to it nicely right out of the bottle..  They come in 4oz bottles. 
Down side is its not as dark as brown liners...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Have you tried Pokorny Paints from Dwarven Forge.?  I tested the Base Wood on some Bones beds with no primers and it stuck to it nicely right out of the bottle..  They come in 4oz bottles. 

Thanks for the tip. That sounds like it could be worth a shot. I actually don't like using brown liner to prime Bones because of how dark it is. I use it for regular lining all the time though. Going to pick up a bottle of Pokorny Base Grey to see how well it works as a first coat on Bones minis and Stones dungeon tiles. Hopefully it will be just dark enough to help catch the mold lines, but not so dark that it takes lots of layers to get nice bright colors. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Thanks for the tip. That sounds like it could be worth a shot. I actually don't like using brown liner to prime Bones because of how dark it is. I use it for regular lining all the time though. Going to pick up a bottle of Pokorny Base Grey to see how well it works as a first coat on Bones minis and Stones dungeon tiles. Hopefully it will be just dark enough to help catch the mold lines, but not so dark that it takes lots of layers to get nice bright colors. 

Straight Brown Liner I find too dark, but I find it still seems to work well on Bones even when rather severely thinned.  I generally get it down to a pale bronze color on my Bones, with the nooks and crannies well picked out.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Straight Brown Liner I find too dark, but I find it still seems to work well on Bones even when rather severely thinned.  I generally get it down to a pale bronze color on my Bones, with the nooks and crannies well picked out.

I probably need to give thinning it another shot. I tried thinning it down with water a couple of times but it always ended up really streaky (a mix of dark and light streaks). Sounds like I didn't thin it enough. I'm really liking the new Sepia Liner though. After writing my last post I went ahead and mixed the Sepia Liner 1:1 with FolkArt Glass & Tile medium and primed up a figure. It's quite nice. Turned out looking like a light flesh wash. Wren praised that Glass and Tile medium in her "first coat is the difference" thread so I picked up a bottle last year. 

I hadn't heard about the Pokorny paints before. After checking them out I think I'll get the 4 main colors (Base Gray, Earth Stone, Olive & Stone Edge). If nothing else, they should come in very handy for painting my piles of Stones dungeon tiles, the upcoming Secret Weapon Tablescapes Dungeon tiles, and the DDS2 terrain. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

I probably need to give thinning it another shot. I tried thinning it down with water a couple of times but it always ended up really streaky (a mix of dark and light streaks). Sounds like I didn't thin it enough. I'm really liking the new Sepia Liner though. After writing my last post I went ahead and mixed the Sepia Liner 1:1 with FolkArt Glass & Tile medium and primed up a figure. It's quite nice. Turned out looking like a light flesh wash. Wren praised that Glass and Tile medium in her "first coat is the difference" thread so I picked up a bottle last year. 

I hadn't heard about the Pokorny paints before. After checking them out I think I'll get the 4 main colors (Base Gray, Earth Stone, Olive & Stone Edge). If nothing else, they should come in very handy for painting my piles of Stones dungeon tiles, the upcoming Secret Weapon Tablescapes Dungeon tiles, and the DDS2 terrain. 

There is also Blue Liner and Grey Liner, and in Bones III there will be Green and Red too.

I have used the Grey and the Blue as well and they work the same on Bones.

If you find the Brown too dark, try the Grey or Blue?

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

There is also Blue Liner and Grey Liner, and in Bones III there will be Green and Red too.

To my eye the brown, blue and grey liners are all pretty close to the same dark.

In fact, they all seem pretty much dark grey.  "Brown" Liner, I find, is a warm dark grey and "Blue" Liner a cold dark grey.  Very useful, and good for different purposes, but not intensely colored.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

The first liner I used to prime Bones was the grey. It actually might be darker than the brown! :P I have all six liners, and of the bunch, sepia is definitely the lightest. It's really nice. I have no idea how to use the red and green yet. I tend to use brown, grey and blue in a similar way to Pingo, to get warm, neutral or cool lines or to darken lighter colors towards warm or cold tints. Although, I still have a long way to go before I figure out how to use them or the Bones III NMM gold & copper sets. Should be fun.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I have tried these out a bit and here is my feeling.  I have only used them for larger bones figures and terrain though I may have a squog on my shelf of shame that has been "primed" with the moss green.  They have great coverage right out of the bottle but they are pretty thick and I worry about using them for smaller minis because of the potential loss of detail.  I've added a tiny bit of water, but very very little without the hydrophobic quality of bones making it pool and not stick.  

One other thing I've noticed is that after it dries, the pieces I've painted with this paint have a rubbery feel to them.  Not tacky exactly.  It feels like the paint is good and strong and flexible, but a lot less sharp.

Okay back on topic.  Hoping bones 4 has more terrain/scenic elements, conversion bits, and paint!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Yoshua said:

Please, please please include the Dragonman Conversion kit and all of the rest of the wing conversion kits? Will be greatly appreciated!

That's a pretty good idea. My son is making a dragonman sorcerer for one of his PCs and suitable minis are hard to find. A Bones conversion kit would be a decent option. Well, that or some actual dragonman/woman minis. I'd be aaaall over that. The only one I have is a beautiful female dragon kin mage from Dark Sword, but it's a little too racy for a PC. Reaper has some master dragon sculptors. Bet they would knock it out of the park. 

• Like 3

I'd recommend tossing that into the Bones You'd Like to See thread. They've said they actually do go through that thread and see what people have suggested. The people making those decisions aren't necessarily reading this thread.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JackMann said:

I'd recommend tossing that into the Bones You'd Like to See thread. They've said they actually do go through that thread and see what people have suggested. The people making those decisions aren't necessarily reading this thread.

Thanks for the nudge. will head over there next :D

• Like 1