Sign in to follow this  
OneBoot

Wizkids Elf Male Sorcerer - commission piece

This is awesome!  A very unique character with an excellent, clean, creative paint job on a marvelous base.  And someone gave you more bones money for you to do it?  Nice bonus.  Knowing it is appreciated and going to be used is probably best of all.

• Like 2

Great job all around! The freehand is very successful and I welcome you to the frustrating world of painting eyebrows. They're maddening to get right, but they really make such a difference on the face.

I love that you pushed yourself to try new things, and look how well it worked out!

Here's hoping that satisfied customer becomes a repeat satisfied customer!

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your kind words, everybody! :blush:

I'm actually very glad I took the commission, since I really work best with a deadline. *eyes rows of partially painted minis* It also reminded me that oh, yeah, I like this whole painting thing. I'd forgotten that over the past couple of months. :)

The only part of it I don't like, looking back, is his mouth. Part of this was because there was practically nothing there on the sculpt, and partially because I've never done a mouth on a guy before, and all of my previous attempts looked like lipstick. So I just painted over all of that and used a medium brown to give him a cartoony line mouth. It does the job, but it looks odd to me since I know what it's supposed to look like. For a gaming figure, though, this probably works better since it's more visible.

1 hour ago, Guindyloo said:

Great job all around! The freehand is very successful and I welcome you to the frustrating world of painting eyebrows. They're maddening to get right, but they really make such a difference on the face.

I love that you pushed yourself to try new things, and look how well it worked out!

Here's hoping that satisfied customer becomes a repeat satisfied customer!

They really did! I wasn't originally going to do them, but his expression looked so blank, I decided to attempt it. My take away is that eyebrows are weird and make no sense when trying to figure out where to put them and how to angle them so it doesn't make the figure look like it's got a crazy expression. :lol:

I'm hoping that this results in more commissions, they're a lot of fun (plus, y'know, money is nice too)! MrBoot reported that he showed it around the office, and several of his coworkers are in one D&D game or another, so here's hoping! My first commission was also from one of his coworkers, so the potential customer pool is there. ^_^ Maybe I should ping their DM to see if he'd like some painted bad guys or creatures or something.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

The brown mouth was a good call - it's very visible and you might think of it as cartoony, but it does the job and isn't exaggerated.

Eyebrows ARE very, very weird. Mine generally end up making the figure look especially judgmental. But they're so necessary - just google pictures of celebrities without eyebrows and it makes it really obvious what a huge difference they make.

I'll keep my claws crossed for your commission future! I think pinging the DM is a great idea!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Eyebrows ARE very, very weird. Mine generally end up making the figure look especially judgmental. But they're so necessary - just google pictures of celebrities without eyebrows and it makes it really obvious what a huge difference they make.

IMO, eyebrows are more important for a good looking figure than eyes. At most distances, you can get away with flesh shadow in the eye sockets, but you really can't get away without painting eyebrows that would be visible except in a few circumstances (blonde hair with very similar skintone, for instance).

• Like 2

nice job,,the base is interesting and I realy like the detail on the back of the cloak

• Like 2

First of all, lovely work! Fine color choices, and splendid execution!

That being said, I find it interesting that you found him frustrating to paint. I am also interested in how you solved the mouth problem, as well as the rest of his features. This is the second Wizkids unpainted figure that I've tackled, and both of them have been a pain in the bahonkus.

Either the detail is not very crisp, or the primer coat they put on is obscuring it. Either way, y'need to be ready to fill in a LOT of detail yourself. I am reassured that this is something OTHERS are seeing, and it's not just me bein' old and cranky and not a very good painter.

How did you find the primer coat to work? I thought it was irritating as all hell. When I prime a figure, I do so to make the paint STICK, durnit... and these pre-primed unpainteds seem to REPEL paint, to the point of being streaky and requiring a second or even a third coat to get a smooth even finish... and THEN I can think about highlighting and detailing and so forth.

Did you find this to be the case?

• Like 4