Sign in to follow this  
Ode

Skoli figs

This is the intro from the skoli doc.  Nothing's final until it sees print!

Skoli are rarely encountered in Adon save for the lands of Hakir, Jalahandra or the inhospitable Besiac Wastes. For the last ten centuries, skoli tribes have scattered and their numbers dwindled. In some remote regions, the skoli are seen as legendary monsters in tales used by parents to frighten insolent children.

A skoli visiting the civilized lands of Adon is unlikely to be greeted warmly.   The skolis’ fierce appearances combined with their aggressive natures and the race’s dubious past tends to inspire fear, distrust and/or hatred in those they meet. At the very least a skoli will be discriminated against, as the deeds of their ancestors are not easily forgotten or forgiven.

During the Old Age, the skoli were the undisputed rulers of southern Adon and the lands beyond the Malapango Jungle. Their capital, Azhberakk, was located 50 leagues south of what is now known as the Besiac Wastes. During their centuries- long reign, the skoli invaded northern Adon without provocation, mercilessly subjugating the indigenous peoples of the Dragon Spine Sea. Only the high elves of Tirithilia and the pharaoh kings of ancient Hakir successfully resisted the skoli invaders.  However, it was not without a price as the skoli were weavers of sinister blight-magic and curses. Vast tracts of land in present day Jalahandra and Taltos were rendered incapable of supporting life by spiteful skoli arch-wizards. It would take many centuries and the aid of powerful magics to restore the wastelands to a fecund state.

After two centuries of unopposed rulership and oppression in northern and southern Adon, the humans rebelled against their skoli conquerors.  The arch-mage Cauve led a massive uprising, and within months the skoli armies were routed.  Shattered and fragmented, the remaining skoli retreated to their homelands south of the Malapango.

Now, nearly a thousand years since their defeat, skoli numbers are on the rise.  The skoli goddess M’maqua has awakened and is urging her children to unite and reforge the skoli empire once again.

Street marketing 101:  The first taste is free, leave them wanting more :D .

This just makes me want to find out more.  The charecter possiblities are endless, to say nothing of the plot devices involving Skoli masterminds plotting the resurrection of their empire.

I'm hooked, give me more! :love:

And now I want more!  :D After all the world book is due out in what...two, two and half months?

Lady Tam

I'd like to say that it would be, but it won't. Don't worry, Ron is hard at work, flogging his writers. :;):

Reaper Ivy

(when it gets in my hands to layout, I'll let you know...)

jeez, why is it the other writers have all the fun!

but seriously folks...i like it, but i

well, i'm hoping for more complexity.

How did the Skoli empire start? Merely lust for power?

i've seen too many "just evil" races & too many "just good" races (and human empires/kindoms for that matter) With the skoli I was hoping that for the first time we'd get something more grey than black&white.

One idea that can be used to keep skoli from being "pure evil" without changing what's been written here at all:

The skoli are pragmatists & racists, caring little for the "lesser races". In the face of a rising "Great Evil" that threatened the races of Adon w/ extermination, they forged an Empire and conducted raids to gather resources, using fearful tactics ("blighted lands") to cause many refugees to come into their power. They worked the "lesser races" horribly to create powerful weapons/fortifications/whatever to battle the foe. They justified this to themselves based on 2 ideas: 1) they were "lesser" races after all, not as worthy of life or dignity as skoli; and 2) If the Great Evil succeeds, they would all be wiped out anyway, so "we're fighting just as much for their preservation as ours, they're just too stupid to understand that they have to do our bidding - since we know best - until the crisis is over"

So the SKOLI can think of themselves as preservers of Life and Culture on Adon - since they were the ones who defeated the Great Evil (from another plane?). But the other races see them only as agressors and oppressors. This kind of outlook - society pulling together is more important than any harm to one individual (lawful); and fighting evil is important, but we can use nasty hurtful tactics to do so (neutral) - is conducive to a basically Lawful society where some may be good & some may be evil but most are LN.

Perhaps the skoli are rebanding again because the Great Evil rises once more? Will they trust the other races with the Lore to understand the battle that is coming & the measures that will be necessary? Or are they convinced that they still have enough time to spend their resources subjugating other peoples and still rebuild their resources to a new height necessary to combat the Great Evil once again? What if different skoli factions play it differently? What if they honestly need the help of another race's skills (they need to mine for precious resources for mighty magic but they've never had any real racial skill at mining)? And how will the other races respond to their former conquerors?

The elves...do they remember the battle against the GE? Did it come from the south so the Skoli learned of it first and no evidence of the horrible carnage the GE worked remains to those living along the Dragon Spine Sea? And did the elves remain outside the power of the Skoli in part because they ARE learned - perhaps even respected by the Skoli - and so were already taking their own (less merciless) steps to oppose the GE (thus making it unnecessary to conquer them to get them into the struggle)?

Was Hakir Raided because they had Artisans skilled in ways the Skoli felt they needed but not conquered because they didn't inhabit LANDS that had the particular special resources the Skoli needed?

Were the Skoli so easily overthrown in part because it had been decades since the GE was successfully opposed, and... while SOME skoli enjoyed the power of an empire,

SOME thought it worth maintaining in case the GE rose again,

SOME feared the vengeance of freed members of the "lesser races"

and SOME merely wanted to be nasty to the "lesser races" who perhaps killed some skoli family member during the wars of conquest...

The Skoli were in fact already split into factions with some wanting to restore the lesser races to their homes and peaceful lives, making reparation for the (albeit needful) conquest and some merely not caring about the continuation of an empire that had served it's purpose. (Why care what the lesser races do, after all? It's not like we need them anymore...)

With this fragmentation & various skoli unwilling to obey orders (and risk their own skins) to put down a rebellion, those that WOULD preserve the skoli empire weren't able to predict an manage their resources. If people don't predictably follow orders, how can you plan - and therefore, how can you win? Even an ancient and strong empire could be fractured quickly in this way.

Ah, but here's the real question:

Why aren't _I_ writing the darn worldbook entry on Skoli?

Ah, well, not everyone can be omnipotent.

Anyway, here's hoping the Skoli don't become yet another simplistic "Evil Empire" like the Drow, the Red Wizards, the orcs of Sauron, etc. etc.

Me? I want plot & story I can sink my teeth into...

More Skoli info...(from the rough draft).

Personality: Skoli are a difficult race to deal with. Their overbearing, snide natures tend to put off those races used to rational discourse and civilized negotiations. Skoli are used to being heard, their opinions weighed against the evidence, and then implemented without question or hesitation. A skoli’s primary asset at the negotiating table is his intimidating appearance and attitude. In general skoli tend to be blunt, opinionated, confrontational and impatient. The derisive snort and muttered curse are often heard in the company of a skoli.

Skoli recognize the importance of honor, but the line differentiating honorable and dishonorable tends to blur especially when the procurement of wealth is concerned. In terms of greed only the dwarves can match the skolis’ avarice. Richly colored gemstones are prized by skoli artisans who weave these precious stones into weapons, armor, and pieces of jewelry.

Despite the skolis’ character flaws, a skoli’s word is his bond. Once given, a skoli is unlikely to go back on his word as doing so brings shame to their tribe. As evidence to this, some Hakirian merchants have cultivated relations with the skoli of the Besiac Wastes, securing promises of peaceful passage through the skoli-controlled lands.

Because their word is their bond, skoli do not give their words or enter into bargains lightly. Those that make a habit of breaking their promises are likely to be exiled from their tribe.

Hmm, this sounds a lot like some people on our forum...

:p

Very nice, RR - definitely along the lines I was thinking. Not exactly WHAT i was thinking, but yeah, this fleshes things out nicely. And could still be consistent w/ my earlier post. Nothing contradicts anything else anyway...

And now I want more!  :D After all the world book is due out in what...two, two and half months?

Lady Tam

I'd like to say that it would be, but it won't. Don't worry, Ron is hard at work, flogging his writers. :;):

Reaper Ivy

(when it gets in my hands to layout, I'll let you know...)

You'd think he would learn that flogging don't make the fingers type faster.

But nooooooooooooooooooo.....

--Robert E. Allen III

Reaper Miniatures Writing Monkey