Sign in to follow this  
Ode

Skoli figs

Okay, RR...here's a question:

what do you see intra-skoli gender relationships being like?

Are monarchs of each gender accorded the same respect? power? roles?

do monarchs or each (or more than 2?) genders appear w/ equal regularity or is one more likely to appear than others?

How does gender relate to power, rank, and role in priesthoods?

in the military?

in the skilled trades? (weaponsmith? tanner? horse/skorpion master?)

in the arts? (useful or merely cultural - from glass-blowing, weaving, & detail carpentry to dancing & mural painting)

that might keep ya busy for a while!

Let's see if I can put all of these together.

1. Skoli intra-personal relationships obviously vary from Skoli to Skoli, but on the whole Skoli are only slightly more cordial to a fellow Skoli than members of other races. Skoli despise weakness; and they will cull a weak member of their race without pity. Respect is given to equals and superiors, until such time that they are no longer equals or superiors.

2. Gender plays no part in the respect given to a given Skoli. While female Skoli are not entirely equal to males, they are never considered any less dangerous.

3. Answer unclear - ask again later!

4. There are more female priests in the current age than males, although you should not that the overall number of priests in Skoli society are lower than that of other races. The Skoli view on religion is too complex to cover here, but suffice to say that the collapse of their empire caused many Skoli to feel betrayed by their gods.

5. There is no dedicated Skoli military as such in the current age. Warriors are equally likely to be male or female, although the males are more likely to be seen. Females tend to be more stealthy and work unseen than males.

6. There are some gender-favored trades, but the bias is not very strong.

7. Please insert coin for an additional five minutes.

--Robert E. Allen III

Reaper Miniatures Writing Monkey

and more on religion. You gave us info on the one deity, but are there others? And to further ask on CD's questions, are they a monarchy or a theocracy?

Do they value magic over brawn? Or do they see a purpose for both and treat both equally?

LT

1. I'm not spilling ALL of our secrets.

2. Okay, well, I will say that there are more Skoli gods out there. Whether they are on good terms with the Skoli is another matter.

3. Neither.

4. The Skoli value success over failure. The method(s) by which success is gained and failure averted is secondary, or even irrevelant to them.

--Robert E. Allen III

And how do they rear thier young? Always a good question as the way they are brought up really forms a lot of thier attitudes, beliefs etc.

lady Tam

I'd say "Harshly", but I don't think that's a good enough answer for you.

Skoli children are treated in a somewhat paradoxical manner. On the one hand, they are viewed as the future of the race; which has long been on a decline since the fall of their empire. On the other, Skoli children are abused and subjected to a variety of trials that result in the early death of many of them.

The purpose of theis is twofold. It prepares them for a live of constant challenge and struggle. And secondly, it weeds out those who cannot survive such a future. The young that cannot be made ready for the world do not live to see it.

--Robert E. Allen III

Actually, the child rearing aspect of things reminds me of the Fifth Mellenium books (by Stirling, Meier and Werhstein). Very good fantasy by the way. Snowbrother, by S.M. Stirling, features a charecter named Shkai'ra who was raised in a very similar fashion (except fpr a complete distrust of magic).

When the rule book comes out I may run the Skoli similarlly.

they seem a bit drowish to me, sans the whole sexism thing.

There are some similar traits to the archetypical Drow (which are not like the Dark Elves of Adon - but that is a whole 'nother issue, and I'm not spilling it) - but not all. Skoli society, once a Skoli is fully accepted as an adult, involves very little backstabbing and conspiracy against one another. It is rare (though not unheard of) for a Skoli to machinate against a fellow Skoli to bring their downfall. They aren?t normally given to such chicanery; if two Skoli have a dispute, it will be settled through their complex series of duels; often simply until submission, but duels to the death do happen, when both parties are driven to such lengths. On the other hand, if a Skoli is deemed too weak - greviously wounded, or widely mistrusted - he or she will simply be killed by a superior Skoli. This sort of culling is widely seen as a mercy killing - not to the individual, but to the race as a whole.

The key to understanding the Skoli is a good analysis of their history. An age ago they were the most powerful force in the world. They dominated much of known Adon with their empire. In the blink of an eye their reign ended, and they have been on a downward spiral ever since. They are now a shadow of themselves.

But there are certainly those among them who see a different future than the slow decline of their race.

That's it! I've given you more than I should have, I'm sure, and ReaperRon will surely be visiting me with the hook-barbed "motivational device" for this as it is. I hope that now Lady Tam might be pleased....

--Robert E. Allen III

Well, been close to two months since we 'discussed' this topic. And last night I was thinking about all those new greens we have seen lately, but how there have been no greens of Skoli. Then my mind wandered to the Warlord game and the reptus and such, but there are no skoli there either! So, where are the new skoli minis!?!?! And, are there any Stats figured out for them yet? We got all this lovely background and such, but no stats.

Lady Tam

I have been busy for a few months.

WOW time can really move.

I support the drive for Skoli Stats.

Please

Ode

Nice to see my very first thread doing so well.

Any rewards. (Stats :rolleyes: )

Lady Tam

Persistance Pays Off!!! :lol::lol::lol:

After taking pretty much all day to read this post, all 21 pages of it, I finally asked Ron for the stats. And I got....nothing. ::(:

But then, I asked Mrs. Ron, and she beat him repeatedly about the head and neck and I finally got these:

Which are NOT final, And are subject to change without notice :devil:

Skoli Racial Traits (for 3.0 or 3.5 ed D&D, D20 system, et.al.)

·        +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Wis, -2 Cha; Skoli are physically imposing, and their endurance is legendary; however, they possess reduced capacities common sense, will power, and social niceties.

·        Medium-size: As Medium-size creatures, skoli have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

·        Skoli base speed is 30 feet.

·        Natural Attacks: The claws of a skoli deal 1d4+Str bonus and are considered small weapons for two weapon fighting. The bite causes 1d6 damage but does not include the Str bonus.

·        Natural Armor: Skoli have tough fibrous hide stretched over their lean frames. This combined with the bone spurs and spikes protruding from their skin grant them a +2 natural armor bonus.

·        Fire Resistance: skoli have elemental resistance (fire) equivalent to their Con bonus. Skoli are said to be descended from a now-extinct race of outsiders from the elemental plane of fire or similarly inhospitable plane.

·        Low-light Vision: Skoli have adapted to a semi-nocturnal existence. Skoli can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

·        Proficient with both the scimitar and the falchion. All skoli are proficient with great bolos and javelins. Skoli in spite of their many personal and cultural setbacks remain a race that prides itself on martial ability.

·        +2 bonus to Listen, Smell/Taste and Spot checks. Skoli possess preternatural senses and animal-like cunning. Skoli are treated as if they possessed the scent ability (see page Core Rulebook III for details on this ability) substituting a Smell/Taste check for the Wisdom check.

·        Skoli receive a +2 bonus to their Wilderness Lore, Hide, and Move Silently checks when in desert. Centuries of surviving the brutal climate and hostile terrain of the Besiac Wastes have left the Skoli tough and resistant to environmental hardships. Skoli are also proficient hunters and have learned how best to use terrain to stalk and bring down their prey.

·        Automatic Languages: Skoli. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Infernal, Elemental (Fire). Skoli as a matter of pride prefer their own tongue but most have a fundamental grasp of Common as well as the tongues of those races with whom they regularly associate.

·        Favored Class: Ranger. A multiclass skoli’s ranger class does not count when determining whether she suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing (see Experience for Multiclass Characters, page 56). Scouting and pathfinding come naturally to skoli,

·        Level Equivalent: ECL+2

Ron Hawkins

I hope this helps. And Lady Tam, I believe you owe me some cookies. :blush: