Sign in to follow this  
Ode

Skoli figs

Maybe they have forsworn magic after thier empire fell, which is why there is the two fighter types. Then again maybe Reaper hasn't made nay more because they didn't have us whinning bout more. Som maybe they will make more, and we cen get some more clues.

I see them a race ruled by a magic using upper class, based on what we know. I think those mages would keep thier power even after the empires fall, being clever enough to make it look like the Rulers fault.

Or maybe ruled by the clergy. They took the reains of power after the empires fall. The possibilities are endless.

Lady TAm

i never really liked the idea of theocracies. just look at puratins....i hope i didnt offend any one there.....

i was thinking dex and charisma. htey might not play with others but i think they would have some sly whit.... this would put them at sorcerers.....

The puritans were not exactly who they are now made out to be... I read an exerpt from a "puritan" sermon that basically had an awful lot to do with sex.... and not forbidding it, or how evil it is, either. No. But they did demonstrate the need to "separate Church and State". Politics, after all, is a TERRIBLE influence on religion- and I'm not joking. :)

I don't know if the Skoli were powerful magic users. Just that final battle at the Skoli capital used massive amounts of magic (probably both sides goin full tilt ), and that caused the blasted besiac wastes.

-Daniel

hmm, i like SP's theories. they sound a very nice fit for something of a different race than what we gots so far. The history bits about the war are interesting. So is this a highly magical race a la mr. Page's posting (doesn't even get failure % for light armor) or a theocracy or a race that has foresaken magic...

or were their magic skill always overrated based on selective memory of that tragic final battle?

we must yet abide the true answer from reaper.

sigh.

sigh again.

Smokin': Problem is, it takes politicians (ones in suits or smocks, I don't see any difference) and raises them above scrutiny, above question.

On topic: It occurs to me that the creative juices are so stirred around here by the shadowy, ephemeral Skoli that Reaper might be well advised to NEVER answer....

just my odd perspective.

If Reaper would just hire LadyTam, Crypdyke and I, this problem would be solved :laugh:

Steven"Will work for Minis" Page

On topic: It occurs to me that the creative juices are so stirred around here by the shadowy, ephemeral Skoli that Reaper might be well advised to NEVER answer....

just my odd perspective.

actually, this is a point.

Skoli as unusually born elves creates all sorts of interesting possibilities. It's an elegant solution in itself explaining not only their existence, but their relative rarity.

SP has good ideas for making them unique.

LT hasn't put out her specific plans, but clearly she's got it goin' on inside her brain.

once word comes down from  reaper, will we stop being creative 'cuz we gots the official word? well, we will certainly not turn our creative talents to _certain_ questions. Hmm. I don't know. good question tho'.

You know, there are saughin that occasionally get born looking just like sea elves.  It has to do with proximity of the saughin city to an elf colony.  Most of the "mutants" that survive their younger years end up being spies or scouts.  I think they are called malenti.

The Threat from the Sea trilogy from WotC, had one as a major character.  I was not real crazy about the trilogy.  It was okay.  I do really like saughin though.

yeah, this is kinda the opposite: elves being born looking like Sahuagin. Though no one was thinking specifically of that when hammer adopted that idea so i could play a skoli in his game, it is certainly very reminiscent. wonder if it could have been operating unconsciously....

I think they are a seperate race from elves. Something unique and totally thier "own" An ancient race whose magic and pride brought thier downfall and scattered thier empire. Maybe, at some point they were like elves, but at some point they took a different path down the trail of evolution and became thier "own" race. That's my thoughts. As Much as I love elves, they are overatted and over used. I like the thought of the skoli being something totally new and unigue to the Reaper world.

Lady tam

As Much as I love elves, they are overatted and over used.

Lady tam

Okay, now don't hurt me for this, but isn't your avatar... uh,... elven?

Infinity (and I'm shutting up, right now)

Ahem.

Okay, I've been lobbied to spill the beans on the Skoli.

Now, since I'm all for saving SOME secrets for the Player's Guide to Adon, I'm not giving you everything.

But....

Skoli were the dominant race of Adon during the Old Age.  Their empire, at its peak, stretched across Jalahandra, Breonne, Ritterlich, and the surrounding lands.  While they were not on friendly terms with the elves or the dwarves, the three races mostly kept to themselves and avoided contact.  

However, the race of man and the Skoli were never on friendly terms.  The Skoli pushed humans out of many lands, driving them north.  The only humans able to resist the encroachment of the Skoli were the Pharoah-Kings of Hakir.  The Skoli and the Pharoh-Kings warred for hundreds of years.  The Skoli Empire was far greater than that of the Pharoh-Kings, but the will of the Pharoh-Kings would not allow defeat.  They had built their empire upon the backs of thousands of slaves, and they threw thousands of warriors into battle heedless of the costs, so along as their kingdom survived.

The war eventually claimed both empires - the Pharoah-Kings and the Skoli - but hey, if I told you everything, you'd have nothing to look forward to.

In present-day Adon, Skoli are rare.  They live primarily in Hakir and Jalahandra, preferring the warm and dry climate to that of the more northern nation.  They are a shadow of their former selves - their empire all-but forgotten in the modern times, and the Skoli have never recovered.

(FYI, this is off the top of my head - so if this differs slightly to what finally goes into the Player's Guide to Adon, no one gets to complain- or else, no more teasers!)

--Robert E. Allen III

Reaper Miniatures Writing Monkey