Sign in to follow this  
Ode

Skoli figs

No complaints here oh glorious Writing monkey!  :D  (except I am still having troubles typing due to my finger "injury") Thanks a bunch!

And yes, my avatar is an elf. I like elves don't get me wrong, but sometime they are "over done" Just look at greyhawk. Someone wanted 'tall" elves so up came the"valley elves" Tall and anti-social. we have grey elve, gold elves, wild elves and wood elves. (In FR you got Moon and Sun elves) Then you got your Drow elves. And then in secoond ed they did that elf book and at the back were more elf sub-types, including a Winged elf. Now, going by what they say about elves and thier low productivity, where did all these sub-tpes come from? Some where out there some elves are breeding like rabbits. I guess I just wanted to see something "new" that wasn't based on an exsisting race. And it looks like I got my wish. they are, unique and totally new.

Lady Tam

Thanks a bunch ReaperRobert! Your the best!

Aw, shucks.  I won't argue, just don't tell the other writing monkeys - they get jealous easily, and then they get violent.

--Robert E. Allen III

Reaper Miniatures Writing Monkey

ReaperRobert, you are the man!

LadyTam, no one ever said elves don't like to mate...only not with other elves :p

Anyone who likes elf-bashing needs to read Warhammer's "Gotrek and Felix" series. Gotrek, the dwarf Slayer on armor:"Fine for women and girly-elves..." :laugh:

Legolas fans don't blame me, I didn't make it up.

Thank you Mini Reaper.

I actually regret asking the question.

Your teaser was fine but not helpful.

My three different play groups eat up my material so fast I had hoped to take a short cut and not reinvent the wheel. As they say time waits (or game sessions) for no race.

May your campaigns never fail for the lack of a nail in a horse shoe.

Ode signing off.

Unofficially -- since I am the monkey with the pencil instead of the typewriter...

The Skoli go back far into the history of Adon.  In fact, I doubt even the oldest of elves could recall a time before them.  It is true that their empire's nexus was likely in Adiri, in what "currently" is the Besiac Wastes.  Some accounts tell of the great empire, far more feared and far-reaching than even Malvernis' -- and far more unforgiving.

By nature, the Skoli are survivors.  Modern Skoli have adapted well to their desert environment, some standing a towering 7-8 feet tall, with leathery, copper-hued skin.  Their "horns" are actually calcium deposits underneath their hide, tending to form in places needing re-inforcement (backs, heads, elbows and knees).  Their eyes have nictating membranes, and many Skoli can fold their nostrils and ears shut against the harsh desert sandstorms.  Their armor, once proud and ornate, has mostly been replaced by piecemeal suits, reflecting their displaced and nomadic status.

The one thing that I'm almost certain about regarding the Skoli is that the first Great War was not merely between the Skoli and Humans:  If the other races had not banded together, all of Adon may still be under the Skoli "influence".  Skoli are rare now, and usually solitary or in small, well-concealed groups.  If a moderate-to-large gathering of Skoli is discovered, it is usually crushed swifly and brutally by large, local forces -- all of the races of Adon remember thier threat and prowess, and few would hazard a second uprising.

***Of course, all of this is subject to change completely, as I have not seen any of the material for the World of Adon sourcebook.  But, as they are one of my favorite races, I'll still play them like hardened, bitter warriors who cause even Orcs to cross the street to avoid.   :;):

...Not that I'm biased, or anything...

--Talin

Well, we can all await the joyous "FOOM" when she does.   :p

I like it.  It's different from other capsule summaries I've seen of Yet another Elf In Yet another RPG (YAEIYARPG).

I didn't notice before, but that could be a good sound to make when a Skoli is near.

"He's on me, I can't....YAEIYARPG!!!"

we have grey elve, gold elves, wild elves and wood elves. (In FR you got Moon and Sun elves) Then you got your Drow elves. And then in secoond ed they did that elf book and at the back were more elf sub-types, including a Winged elf. Now, going by what they say about elves and thier low productivity, where did all these sub-tpes come from?

Well, as my grandmother used to say, "As long as you've got your 'elf, that's the main thing."

Kewl! Even more info. I am liking this!

Wonder if Crydyke has seen it all yet?

Lady Tam

cripdyke's seen it now!!!!

FFFFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!

woo  hoo. great info, the second installment even more than the first, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate _all_ the monkeys.

thanks monkeys! have a banana. no don't throw that! that's gross! ah - someone get me outta the monkey house! ahhhh!

phew, that's better.

now, as for the misinterpretation that's been flying around here:

I ALWAYS WANTED SKOLI TO BE A NEW UNIQUE RACE. NOT AN OFF SHOOT OF THE ELVES.

However, I love the skoli minis. There were no details, and playing a mutated elf was how it was going to happen in 'hammer's game or it wouldn't happen at all. This is a plot device of hammer's that is frankly delicious to me - as it has potentially grand implications in his world - and that, here's the important part, let's me play jesset.

Once the full and official skoli stats come out, i am certain i will use skoli as skoli (not as elf-offshoot) in my own and other games. But right now, the skoli as elf-offshoot is what i could get away with & it seems to be working in 'hammer's game.

so, to sum up:

i'm not complaining about 'hammer's game or his plot devices. It's very cool and clearly has inspired some good roleplaying.

i'm not abandoning jesset's history to bring it in line with what's happening in Reaper's world - i'd have to rewrite that novel of a character background & I don't wanna do it.

i AM excited about the potential for the skoli particularly as they come into their own as a _culture_ and not just as a race (i.e. more than a picture of what their bodies look like).

so, to all the monkeys on all the typewriters, i say, play on!

you know I love you.

Woooooooooo cool guys, this sounds so cool I'll have to work it into a game somewhere.  I have to admit I picked up the female Skoli at a con just cause she looked cool.  Having no idea what she was supposed to be- I've been using her as a tiefling....

Can I ever live down the shame???   :(

are there wood elves in "Adon" ???

i was hoping the malvernis guys were freedom fighters. ah well. lets here it for those guys with crosses on their shields..... "yeah"....

are there wood elves in "Adon" ???

i was hoping the malvernis guys were freedom fighters. ah well. lets here it for those guys with crosses on their shields..... "yeah"....

Indeed, there are; and the wood elves of Adon have their own domain - the Kingdom of the Woodspike forest.

As for Malvernis....er, "freedom" is a really funny concept in the Empire of Malvernis.  But really, that's off topic...

--Robert E. Allen III

Reaper Miniatures Writing Monkey

The malvernians are like a cross between the Inquisition and the red Wizards of thay. Bad to the bone self rightous buggers!

lady Tam

.....but very stylish bad to the bone self rightious buggers. It seem to be a requiremnt for the class.