I had two of suckers these show up in the crate 'o' figs  today.  I'd forgotten how big the sculpt was.  I'll be watching this thread for inspiration, just in case I ever dig myself out from underneath this backlog of commissioned work and actually have time to paint something for me again . . .

The Egg

• Like 2

he looks giant :) will be looking forward to seeing how this turns out. looks good so far.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tjrez said:

he looks giant :) 

Minus the bulk of extra heads and the very cool base, he's actually not that much smaller than Ma'al Drakar.  

For now, I need to figure out what to mount him to for painting so I have some hope of at least leaning him over while not touching him.  His feet are big enough I'm thinking of putting 2 small screws through a thin piece of plywood.  He's heavy enough without the base though...  I might just try hitting him with liner tonight and seeing how badly I mess him up as I go...  

9 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

Very cool! Mine is going to be the very opposite, a lava dragon

Looking forward to seeing it!

• Like 6

Now THAT's a Dragon!

Not a mere overgrown Lizard....but a True Dragon!!!!

Looking forward to see how you handle him!

( and then I can ruthlessly steal ideas)

• Like 5

So, being a work day up here in Canukistan, I'm not enjoying a long weekend like many of you, but over lunch I did a little google-fu and scribbling on paper and I definitely think there will be someone else along with "big blue".  

I've got a rough plan for a base and I think I have a breath weapon effect sorted (was playing around with ideas last night).  

As for a palette for the dragon, will be aiming for this sort of mix though placement is still be massaged.  Base will be snow-covered so I'll be saving some browns/greys for some protruding rocks to break up the white in the background.  Still need to find the appropriate "foe", but I'll keep digging tonight.  I should have time to start on the spell effect tonight as it may dictate in part which victim is selected.  

Ice.jpg.474a291dfa5ee2e018ecb11ba0e26a03.jpg

• Like 15

Primed with a mix of Vallejo white primer and Reaper blue liner.  Quite happy with the coverage and colour, even if the 3 batches I had to mix didn't quite match. 

IMG_6336.thumb.JPG.6b4bc89a6f34dcbcb49ca477dba88096.JPG

He barely fit in my airbrush hutch so I'm concerned about Ma'al.  

Thanks for looking. 

IMG_6337.JPG

• Like 22

10 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I just got my Bones III package and took a look at T'Raukzul. I am very pleased at the way they did the reinforcing for the wing slots, though it will still need some heavy pinning. It's still quite the chunky monkey. ^_^

I didn't actually pin mine.  I added some green stuff in all the holes before squeezing in the pieces with crazy glue and then added green stuff to the joins/gaps afterwards.  He seems pretty solid.  

Still need to find a way to hold him as I rubbed off some of the paint before it had dried.  

• Like 6

So leaning towards this mini to face off against big blue.  

IMG_6345.thumb.JPG.47e9d4fa77d33eac6787a9767d72bbdd.JPG

need to pick up a few supplies tomorrow to attempt some of the crazy ideas I've got rolling around my head.  Been drawing out some ideas for the setting and hope to start carving foam soon. 

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by Rahz
  • Like 15

For something a little different, my first stab at making dragon breath! 

It's a piece of clear acrylic rod with glue-fin glue with a layer of matte acrylic paste (wet right now).  The rounded base is one of those acorn shaped thingies from a vending machine that had some cheap toy in it that my kids wanted.  It's slathered with lube in the hopes of removing it once the whole thing sets up.  It I can't remove it, I have a backup plan.  Or I'll try again.  

IMG_6355.thumb.JPG.b97a2b1df3c121b68e13b648307f3208.JPG

Basic shape of base, priming and cleric and some blocking in of base colours on the dragon are planned for tomorrow.  Hope the kids let me do some of it!!

• Like 17

7 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

You're using a similar technique to this one!

Thank you for sharing that!  Lots of cool stuff to be found in that thread! 

• Like 1

No painting done, but the shape of the base is starting to come together.  Lumps in the back will be cut to rock-face looking texture.  Lots of messy sanding and cutting in my future. IMG_6362.thumb.JPG.a2b6f764eef650d509390299453f9bc5.JPG

Wasn't able to detach the plastic thing from the hot glue so will be trimming it and the plan is to cover what is left (minus lip and after roughing up the edges) with crackle paint to make it look like the breath weapon is hitting a visible shield.  

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 22