Sign in to follow this  
Rahz

T'Raukzul ice dragon

10 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Is it foam? The pink blocks?

That's insulation foam. Looks like 1" on the bottom and 1½", possibly 2" for the blocks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dan Goodchild said:

That's insulation foam. Looks like 1" on the bottom and 1½", possibly 2" for the blocks.

Correct.  1" inch on the bottom, 2" for the blocks and I've since added a partial level of 1/2" in stuff on most of the 1" except where the priest will stand.  Hoping to start carving the cliff tonight and then once it's added, I'll sand/putty/sand again the sides to get them smooth.  Looking at adding a small tree or something to the front right corner (in front of Big Blue) but will see how it comes together.  

I have to say, I've been eyeing a foam cutting table...  but so many doolahs...  

• Like 3

Rather than using green stuff (like Willen did) or hot glue, I'd be really tempted to try using Super Heavy Gel Medium around the acrylic rod. It's transparent and can be mixed with paint before use, so you could get a translucent flame effect. If you need more rigidity and are willing to give up transparency, Acrylic Modeling Paste could work, too.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Rather than using green stuff (like Willen did) or hot glue, I'd be really tempted to try using Super Heavy Gel Medium around the acrylic rod. It's transparent and can be mixed with paint before use, so you could get a translucent flame effect. If you need more rigidity and are willing to give up transparency, Acrylic Modeling Paste could work, too.

Is fire what hes doing or is he doing ice breath?

• Like 1

Result is much the same, I think, except for what colors you use. (Though I should have said "ice effect" rather than "flame effect".

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I used a base layer of hot glue over the clear rod, followed by some liquitex heavy paste.  I thought I had picked up the clear stuff but alas, it is the opaque one, hence why it's all white.  My plan was to go with clear media other than the hot glue which I left streaky, do some painting/washing and then add some more on top to add some depth.  For a first try it's not bad other than I want to bulk it up a little towards the collision point.  Going to do that and paint it up anyway as practice and may well pick up some clear paste for the second try.  At least i still have a few clear acrylic rods for the core.  

Appreciate the input.  

• Like 2

I think the sculpting is very good. I really like the dragon breath effect you achieved.

I particularly like the idea of a clear acrylic rod as a core. It should be strong enough to handle the rest of the sculpture and the transparency allows for some interesting effects. I was actually tempted to mention clear acrylic caulk, since it's cheap and intended for painting, but I think it might be a bit trickier to sculpt. That said, it's so cheap that it might be worth a try sometime. (Note to myself for the future.)

I assume that you're planning to support both ends of the effect? If so, you might want to sculpt on a bit of "splash" to cover the support point.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I think the sculpting is very good. I really like the dragon breath effect you achieved.

I particularly like the idea of a clear acrylic rod as a core. It should be strong enough to handle the rest of the sculpture and the transparency allows for some interesting effects. I was actually tempted to mention clear acrylic caulk, since it's cheap and intended for painting, but I think it might be a bit trickier to sculpt. That said, it's so cheap that it might be worth a try sometime. (Note to myself for the future.)

I assume that you're planning to support both ends of the effect? If so, you might want to sculpt on a bit of "splash" to cover the support point.

Thank you for your kind words. 

Here's a poorly lit picture of the rod with just the glue on it.  I really with the gel I bought was clear. 

IMG_6353.thumb.JPG.96d99fee51b55751a63af217ea53cc83.JPG

As to attaching it at both ends, I was originally hoping to just have it attached to the dragon's mouth but with the plastic cup stuck on the end, it's much heavier than anticipated so I will likely angle it so that some of it hits the ground. Additional splatter will be added once I get a more solid idea of the angel once I finish tweaking the base. 

Hmm, clear caulk never occurred to me.  Hmmm....   

IMG_6354.JPG

• Like 15

Base is starting to come together. Still need to soften some of the edges and I'm debating making rockface just a little higher.  Idea was that it just kept going up and we're just seeing the vignette of dragon and priest but then I feel it would have to be taller than the dragon which is getting crazy.  Will play with it some more tomorrow.  

IMG_6385.thumb.JPG.08f10f61eb79cfb0f6515e1f30aae2b5.JPG

Also started getting some paint on the dragon.  Still lots to do and the blue (Warcolours Blue 5) came out a bit lighter than I would have liked   Going to darken it done a bit with the next pass . Ventral plates will be mauve. image.thumb.jpg.b182d019492f578db36818ae56b8bc3b.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 19

Some more work on the base.  Added some more groves and marks on the cliff face and then mashed the whole thing with a piece of pine bark to add some more natural texture and soften the edges.  Glued the mountain to the base, sanded the back sides and then put some drywall compound on to fill the gaps.  One last sanding once its dry and I can get to adding some more detail to the base.  Off to see Captain Underpants with the minions and then to float in a friend's pool so that's it for the day. 

IMG_6386.thumb.JPG.dee84ce2b1b29d5fa9353a3e497e89b5.JPG

IMG_6388.thumb.JPG.3991c1eb5f872147c474836452806853.JPG

IMG_6389.thumb.JPG.6842cc8895ea57bfeca8ecb21928f971.JPG

thanks for looking. 

• Like 19

On 2017-6-4 at 8:36 AM, Rahz said:

Thank you for sharing that!  Lots of cool stuff to be found in that thread! 

If you have questions, just tag me and I will come running! It is a pretty awesome project you have here.

BTW, support at both end will be crucial. Mine, after a couple years of just sitting there, even broke the thin pin at the lower end and slightly fell off its place. Of course it was much more horizontal so a lot of force on the soft plastic dragon's mouth, making it difficult to anchor at the dragon end.

Another tip is to consider making it more "open" at the character end. If not, the figure will be difficult to see. Contrast is also key to make the character stand up, because you will have a bright big element like the breath, but people should focus on the minis too... so to play it safe I actually painted the flames a bit darker than they should and enhanced the contrast at the "magical shield" side. Else the dwarf was almost invisible at first sight.

Edited by Willen
  • Like 5