SparrowMarie

Sparrow paints some Frost Giants (Bones 3)

I'm painting all the giants that came with Bones 3 starting with the 4 frost giants. I'm going to start off by assembly lining the skin and then go back to the queen, who I already have liner-ed, and go from there. Pics under spoiler for size.

Spoiler

20170526_123415.thumb.jpg.fa792d04ed89fdd512667be8da511dab.jpg

20170526_123507.thumb.jpg.cd1f0e98759c3b3d167fdc1763b84a3c.jpg

20170526_123539.thumb.jpg.f0e0ac31b338ea7ac41c32b15aef4cb7.jpg

20170526_123139.thumb.jpg.4b535c1055701c1c27651c51984d762c.jpg

20170529_094923.thumb.jpg.4cece3d5fb46030f1eeb495416d88b16.jpg

• Like 15

Is the Queen's staff bend?

And is the guy with the spear the King?

I will be getting that set.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xherman1964 said:

I think it was bent, or at least the primed version appears to be straight. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

The staff was bent pretty bad when I took the first pictures. I have since straightened them out. Yes, the guy with the spear is the king.

• Like 2

Nice!

I had this idea of making the Queen a Mammoth Herder.

No clue if I ever going to make it, I hope Bones IV has Mammoths or Whooly Rhinos...

Looking forward to see these painted!

Good luck!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

Nice!

I had this idea of making the Queen a Mammoth Herder.

No clue if I ever going to make it, I hope Bones IV has Mammoths or Whooly Rhinos...

Looking forward to see these painted!

Good luck!

That sounds really neat. And thanks, I only have a few weeks to get them done so I hope they come out as nicely as I'd like them to.

• Like 3

So when I initially cleaned the mold lines her leg only looked a little messed up. With paint on it it looks awful, any ideas on how to fix it?

14960843128231177987635.thumb.jpg.90cc6077c062460a59705862e7c5fd5c.jpg

• Like 6

I would suggest a round file to fix the leg, looks like a great set of minis.Looking forward to see these

Edited by Tjrez

I'm supremely jealous of those eyes!  Looking great!

• Like 2

I'm struggling with what color to make her hair. I don't want to do white or blue but I'm not sure what else would really look frost giant-y. I plan on going grey for the beards on the males but not sure if I want to do the same with her.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I'm struggling with what color to make her hair. I don't want to do white or blue but I'm not sure what else would really look frost giant-y. I plan on going grey for the beards on the males but not sure if I want to do the same with her.

The suggestion of black hair looks good on her.  How about black?

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TPSminis
      This is my first post here on the forums, but I've been a fan of Reaper for a while now.  I've also been painting a while, but only got serious about learning in the last couple years.  I've been working at tabletop ready level until I set my sights on these two frost giants.  The detail is amazing in these models, so I felt like I had to throw myself into it and produce the best paint job I could.  These are the very first pieces I've ever felt were worth considering entering into a competition of any sort.  They are currently my best work, and yet I know that I have a long way to go with much to learn.  Together they took 5 days to complete, working about 6-8 hours each day while I recover from shoulder surgery.

Some quick notes:
      1. The bases are what came with the minis, please disregard them, I plan on following up in this post with custom bases for each of them.
      2. The Winter Wolf that belongs to the one with the spear is not done yet.  He'll be forthcoming in time.
      3. Yes, I modded the spear.  I cut off the head and used a spare brush protector tube to connect it to a wood dowel.  I used a stain marker on the wood dowel and painted the spear head and tube.  This meant that I had to drill out her hand.  It was a bit dicey, but it turned out well, I think.

Thanks,

TPSminis

• By Corporea
      I wasn't sure if I should post this in Show off or WIP, but I figured here and if you would please forgive the in progress parts in the subsequent post.

Ron let me paint this lovely sculpt by Gene Van Horne.  Actually, I think I might have begged to paint it and considered stealing it from his office if he refused.   She'll be in the Greek Odyssey Expansion for Bones V.  If by some miracle you have come to this forum and not heard of Bones V, it can be found here.  Aaron Lovejoy was awesome and took some high definition photos of her after last Reapercon.  

I really love this sculpt, can't say that enough.  She's got some fantastic detail, lots of good open space to work on blending or freehand, even a scenic base to play with stone effects.  While I loved the original Yephima by Patrick Keith, and still use her in my classes, this one really screams warrior to me.  I need to paint my bones version when I get it as Athena. I'll have to add a shield somewhere, though. Maybe convert the club to a spear.  Decisions decisions.

Anyway, feel free to ask questions.  I'm happy to explain or help with anything!  I'm going to post the WIP pictures I have in another post, so hopefully those will also be useful.  Enjoy!
    • By TheOldGuard
      Greetings!

I recently bought some Greenstuffworld colourshift paints & eagerly wanting to try them out, I searched through my (huge) Bones backlog for a suitably metallic mini. I grabbed the fantastically ominious Iron Golem from the Bones 4 Stoneskull Expansion & got to work.

The blue areas are the colourshift paint, all the other areas are standard paints.

I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's not as easy to see the effect on these pics as it is with your own eyes but you can make it out. There's no shading or highlighting on these areas apart from some silver to pick out the rivets & sharp edges on the arm plates.

Thanks for looking!

• By SparrowMarie
      Soooo... I'm doing this again this year. I thought I'd have my October stuff up and ready to go by October but Life happened. This led me to the decision to do this again this year. I've adjusted the rules for this year. They may or may not be different to last years, I can't find the post that lists them from then. I have picked minis but have too many on the list so I need to cull it down and then write out my calendar.

Rules:

Paint 30 (or more) unique minis. This means you can paint a bunch of one sculpt but it only counts as 1 mini towards the count. Example: I painted over 70 minis last year but because of the number of sculpts that I did it only came out to 30 discreet minis. You do not have to paint one a day but one for each day. Prep beforehand is totally permitted (washing, mold line removal, priming, etc.) Any paint other than liner (any color) for Bones is not permitted.  
      ETA:
      This is starting in November.

• By stormbreach
      Hi all.  I just finished the Colossal Skeleton that I've had for a couple years now.  For the longest time I was holding off because I was afraid of doing a mini so much bigger than all the rest.  I've gotten some nice reviews on some of my recent stuff so I decided to take the plunge and try my hand at my first large figure.  I have several sets much larger than even this guy so I had to start somewhere.  The closeup pics show how much work I did on the fur for the back lioncloth as well as the wood grain lines I painted on the planks on his right thigh.  I based him on a wooden plaque my mom was getting rid of that I painted black.  I was doing more work on the base, it was supposed to have some more colours in it but I messed up on the drybrushing so I called it finished and hid the mistake with some static grass .  So far one friend has told me the blue rags pull him out of the mini because they look too new and blue while the rest of him is old and rotted.  Maybe he could do with some more staining on the blue but it doesn't bother me much.  Anyways, enough preamble, I hope you all like him enough as my first large mini!

Edit: forgot to apologize for the make-believe "lightbox" photos, but that's how it goes.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 120 Guests (See full list)