Figure melting point

I was wondering what kind of alloy the figures are made of. I want to have one coated in vantablack, but I don't know if they can withstand 300° temperatures unscathed. For those who don't know, this coating reflects virtually all light and makes anything appear 2D. Perfect for making shadow minis if this works.

• Like 1

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're made from a proprietary high-tin alloy. I don't know what the melting point is, but when you reach it, they're basically tin solder and will turn to puddles. My experience* has been that they're fine at 200-225, but I've never run the temp up higher than that.

* My experience is no guarantee of your future performance. If you try anything like that, you're on your own. Let us know what happens, though.

For Science!

• Like 4

I went to my pewter supplier and looked at all of the lead-free varieties available.  The lowest temp melting point listed was 466 deg F.  Versions with lead get down in the 350 deg F range, but that is no longer used in mini casting.  As long as you keep it under 350 deg F and use modern lead-free pewter, you should be fine.

That said, I'd still run a test on a sprue or other piece of scrap.

• Like 7

According to the Encyclopedia Internettica (Wikipedia), you need 400degrees C to deposit VantaBlack.

that's 752degrees F, so possibly a bit too high?

Leaded Pewter IS still in use some places, but not in the USA.

Prince August in the UK even sells casting tools and blocks of leaded pewter for home casting because of the lower temperature.

( Higher temp = requires more vents and also faster wear of the mould)

Also, VantaBlack does NOT reflect light. It's in fact the best material currently available to STOP reflections.

(up to 99.965% of the light is absorbed)

Where do you get the stuff anyways?

(There's export restrictions on it, and not exactly something you can find in a local paint store)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

Leaded Pewter IS still in use some places, but not in the USA.

High lead content white metals are still used in figure casting in the US. (See Old Glory 15s, for instance.)

Reaper, to my knowledge, does not advertise its figures as "lead-free". Further, the last information I saw from Reaper employees is that Reaper's metal minis may contain a small percentage of lead.

I cannot give an official answer, but I know that Reaper miniatures meet or exceed the regulations for lead content in miniatures, which are highly regulated, for laws pertaining to all 50 states, the US federal government, Canada, and the EU.

Lead can be a scary and controversial subject, so to prevent misinformation, I am locking this thread until such time as an Official answer to the original question can be made by an authorized Reaper employee. I have messaged Reaperbryan, as I believe he is best suited to answer this question and allay your concerns.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Like 4

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By takai
      My first post ever on this forum 😀.

I hope everybody is a ok.

Painted this one a couple of weeks ago. Good fun painting a model well cast.

• By MiniPainterDMan89
      Hello All,

Here is a metal 02716 "Demonic Lasher" aka "Demogorgon" I completed a few weeks ago.   This is a metal miniature and is a bit heavy.  It would be nice to see an updated version of the Demonic Lasher miniature from Reaper.   Though this one does look very much like the original Demogorgon illustration in the original D&D Monster Manual. 

Thank you for looking.

• By Auberon
      Another one nearing the end.  I thought I'd already seen this posted here, but I can't find it. Anyway, basically one pledge for all 12 minis.

Folk Horrors

• By Inarah
      New Diehard KS Starts Tomorrow May 26th At 9am GMT
      Posted by Tim Prow
      May 25, 2022
      View on Kickstarter

Hi Folks,
       I'm proud to present Diehard Miniatures 8th Kickstarter which launches Thursday 26th May at 9am GMT! 

This campaign will allow Diehard Miniatures to expand upon our very popular Sci-Fi range, the aim is to bring 79 new figures including freebies out with your help!
      Our main drive in this campaign will have a good versus bad theme, and those that dwell in the grey area. Sci-Fi Law Enforcers will have a new limited edition figure, Marshal Lex is mounted on her Grav patrol bike. We are very lucky to have one of the last sculpts from our guest sculptor Kev White of Hasslefree fame!! We aim to fund:

THIRTEEN new 5 man units - 65 new miniatures!!
      FOURTEEN free stretch goal miniatures - characters, familiars and droids.
      AND an opportunity to pick up existing units from the Diehard range that complement this release.
      This Diehard KS is slightly different from our previous campaigns, we will be dipping our toe into the realms of Freebies! A first for us and hopefully a fresh new experience for you, any pledges of £30 or above will automatically get freebies. The more backers and the higher the pledge the quicker the stretch goals will be unlocked to a maximum of £87 worth of freebies!!

Link to preview project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diehardminiatures/law-and-disorder-2?ref=eekm6z&token=528b3beb
      Link to receive notification once project goes live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diehardminiatures/law-and-disorder-2

I hope to see you all on our new project as we expand Diehards range and continue our adventure together :)
      Tim Prow

Here's just a few pics of units plus LE figure that will be on offer.
       Limited Edition Miniature, Marshal Lex on Grav Bike. Lex sculpted by Kev White, Grav Bike sculpted by Tim Prow.

Elite Bounty Hunter unit II

Undead Spacemen unit II

E-Corp unit II

• By jadeite
      Another Iain Lovecraft project. Nearly managed to grab a 10€ pledge this time. Still a few hours before the price increases pretty drastically.
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iain-lovecraft/dark-alley-adventure

This time, there will also be metal minis for folks without printers available:

• Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)