Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
I did this for my friend's xmas gift this year. He's a big 80's kid, too.
The challenge here was trying to make them all individual more than just their head bands. I wanted to differ their greens a little between them. I also wanted them to look sewer-ridden and dirty, but still hold contrast. Came out pretty nice.
*Donatello was easily my favorite that came out of this batch. His purple was a great mix and stood out.
*Leo had a fun blue that was brighter than expected and gave me the idea to put their respective colors in more areas on them.
*eyes were simple and effective.
*use of washes and lining came out good.
* muscles all have strong definition (no pun)
*bandages look grungy as intended, but did get a little too bright in the edges.
*absolute fail in trying to base with green on airbrush. I may need to resign myself to simply saying i suck with an airbrush.
*shell colors needed a little more, but i couldn't figure out what's going wrong.
*i wanted to push the greens. But needed more something to push the values. Yellow? White? What do you raise green with?
I painted this during 2020, but never put her up here. Oops.
from MidKnight Heroes, this is “Super Chibi "MidKnight" Quest Edition.” Really nice sculpt as I expect from MKH, and great fun to paint up!
At the time I painted her, I was rewatching some anime from my youth, and I took some inspiration from Utena (specifically, from the opening credits, where Utena and Anthy have this super badelf armor that sadly never gets any screen time in the actual episodes).
This is the second miniature I've ever painted, and the first with Reaper paints. I figured that a brush holder would come in handy for the all the Bones V painting in my future! The only Reaper paints I own are the Bones V paints (Learn to Paint kit and the two collections), plus two bottles of Reaper MSP 9038 Rainy Gray.
Overall I'm really pleased with the way this first attempt worked out! I primed everything with 9038 Rainy Gray, then put on the base coats. The wings and ears gave me the most trouble as I had generously overpainted with 9410 Dragon Green, and was attempting a wet blend with 09468 Brilliant Red and 09218 Lava Orange. They required seven or eight coats before I got solid coverage over the green. Once everything was painted and cleaned up, I did a dry brush highlight pass, and then sealed it with two coats of Rust-oleum Crystal Clear Enamel and one coat of Testors Dullcote. I waited 24 hours between each coat to give it plenty of time to dry. I also masked off the gold pile prior to the Dullcote to make sure it would stay shiny.
Some things that could have been better:
The eyes should have been a different color to make them pop, instead of disappearing in the face. Additionally the right eye is quite muddy and the pupil gets lost amidst all the black veins. I was getting tired of working on Rocky at this point and wanted to get it finished. Ideally the eye would have been repainted. The left eye is better, but still gets lost in all the green. I forgot that my wash darkens the mini, and didn't paint in brighter colors to compensate, which means overall it's quite muted and dark.