How are you using the Weapon Sprews

So with Bones three we got a nice batch of grey, hard plastic weapon sprews.

I've never been much of one for Conversions so I'm asking

What is the best way to use these things with Bones.

A few I figure I can just glue on, particularly the Swords in Sheaths or the loose Crossbows, but how would one go about replacing say a Floppy Bones Sword or Spear with one of these cool looking grey (and not floppy at all) weapons?

• Like 1

Well, first you need tools for this project, a small hand drill and a good, sharp hobby knife, mini glue and some protective gloves if you want them. You do not want an Electric drill of any kind as one slip up and you have drilled through the mini, protective glove, your hand and other side of protective glove. This is not a good thing! Instead, use a manual hand drill for better control and less holes in your body parts.

First off, remove the floppy weapon using the Hobby Knife. Depending on the original Weapon and the chosen replacement weapon, you may want to remove one or both ends of the weapon. If going from Sword to Sword, you may want to leave the non-blade end on if it is not floppy. For spears and staves or other polearms, chop off both ends and drill a hole through the hand all the way. Otherwise, just enough of a hole is needed to secure the handle of the new weapon. DO NOT cut off the HAND unless you have the skill to remake it! This also applies to the miniatures hand:P But seriously, be careful with pointy and sharp things.

Second, stick the replacement weapon in the hole to check that it fits. If it fits, apply glue to the handle of the new weapon and insert it in the hole. leave it to dry. If not, enlarge the hole or trim down the handle until it fits.

That is the basics. there are more advanced ways that you can find directions for on the interwebs. Search YouTube for "Miniature Weapon Swap Tutorial" if you want to see it first hand.

GF

• Like 1

I just use an exacto knife, superglue, and sometimes Green Stuff (modeling putty). I slice off the old weapon just above and just below the hand, measure about how tall the hand is, cut out that much of the handle of the new weapon, then glue the top half of the new weapon above the hand, and the bottom half below. If the join isn't snug, I'll wait for the glue to set, then use a tiny amount of Green Stuff to smooth out the join.

I don't know if this method will work for the translucent weapons; those are a much harder plastic, and more prone to snapping than neat cutting.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3

What OneBoot said.

For the transparents, I'd use a pin vice, drill slowly on the weapon to avoid chipping or breakage, and use a pin if necessary.

• Like 1

You could also use them for scenery. A sword above the mantle in a noble's house, a custom weapons rack, etc. Not an earth-shattering idea, but would take less work than refitting a number of minis if you wanted a more straightforward use. You could also lay them atop a treasure hoard, especially if you paint them to look enchanted in some way. 

• Like 2

When replacing weapons, I typically trim at top and bottom of hand, drill the hand, and then open the hand with a knife if necessary.

For drilling, I prefer to use a very small drill bit to drill a pilot hole, then finish the hole with a larger bit. That reduces the chance that the bit will drift uncontrollably out of the hand. (I've done this with several hundred 15mm spearmen and pikemen.) If you ever do this with metal miniatures, make sure you lubricate the drill bit; it makes drilling much easier.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 3