Jump to content

GCB Paints: 77380 Khanjira the World Breaker (x2?)


Recommended Posts

Hey!  l haven't done a WIP thread in a while now.

 

I know Bones III is the new hotness now, and Mal'drakhar is the shiny that everyone wants to paint.  But I got a comission to paint Khanjira, and and one of my own to paint, too:

 

Khanjira_01_Boxes.thumb.JPEG.82c3994258d5b53cd1c78ce17f77aca3.JPEG

 

The comission doesn't want to have "dinosaur colors or Godzilla colors" and likes the idea of a blue Khanjira.  I'm flipping back and forth on mine;  I might go with a red and purple color scheme, or I might do a "Pacific Rim"-inspired dark grey with a blue bioluminescent glow on his eyes, mouth and parts of his armor.  I'll mock up some colors after I get one assembled and photographed.

 

I started the comission yesterday, and so far have managed to trim the flash and mold lines from just four parts - and 10 more to go.  There's a lot of mold lines on each part, and removing each one potato-peeler style takes a lot of time!  (I tend to nibble them away.)  At my rate, I estimate about 2-3 evenings left for removing mold lines on just the first one.

 

Oh, and I just know that there'll be the question of why I don't take the 7-day goblin challenge.  No, sorry, just no.  I'm one of those types that can't stand exposed mold lines or gaps on my finished models, and resolving that alone would disqualify me for doing that before the challenge started, or take up too much of the week to finish on time.  And also, I have still a few scraps of sanity left... and want to keep them!

 

Next update when I finish surface cleanup and start fitting the pieces...

 

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
Double picture
  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Moderator

Ooo, a Pacific Rim kaiju would look awesome! :wub:

 

And yeah, I hear ya about the mold lines on this guy. The longer I spent painting him, the more I kept finding, with his fingers being the worst areas. FYI my copy had a fair number of gaps, mostly around the back plates.

 

I look forward to seeing these painted up! ^_^

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Ooo, a Pacific Rim kaiju would look awesome! :wub:

 

And yeah, I hear ya about the mold lines on this guy. The longer I spent painting him, the more I kept finding, with his fingers being the worst areas. FYI my copy had a fair number of gaps, mostly around the back plates.

 

I look forward to seeing these painted up! ^_^

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

 

Wouldn't ya know?  The hands and feet are exactly the problem I've been running into today.  I've spent about three hours alone today trimming mold lines and re-cutting detail into the hands, and I'm still not done.  When I get done trimming one, I'll post a side-by-side comparison pic.

 

Test-fitting gave me an idea of how big the gaps on the back are.  I think I can manage the gaps if I heat and soften the back plates one-by-one and glue then in fron bottom to top.  The remaing gaps I'll have to fill, and I'm trying to think of what gap filler material would be appropriate for the flexibility of Bones.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trim, trim, trim, gotta keep trimming, trimming, trimming.  Last night, I finished trimming flash from only two more pieces -- the last arm and one of the back armor plates.  I started at nine, then looked up and it was 12:00!  Those arms hide a lot of mold lines in the detail!  

 

X-Acto blades dulled so far doing this work: 1

 

At my current rate, I'll be able to start assembly this weekend.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dueling Khanjiras!  This will be very interesting to watch.  I would say how great it is that you can fall into a rhythm in this hobby and suddenly look up and realize that like 3 hours have flown by, but that's probably not how it feels when those three hours are spent solely on mold lines.  ::o:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2017 at 3:23 AM, Rahz said:

I've used Green Stuff on all the bones I've gap filled so far with no problems.  

 

On 6/5/2017 at 3:24 AM, robinh said:

Green stuff has worked great for me on the Bones minis.  I have used on small and large gaps and occasionally I use it to secure the fitting as I am occasionally too lazy to pin some joints.

 

Probably the route I'll go on this one -- Green Stuff or some other similar part epoxy putty.  I've thought before about using Bones dissolved in acetone as a filler, if only I had enough scraps of it.  I've done that before with polystyrene models, to varying degrees of success, but those had plenty of sprue material to work with.  (Ventilation is a must.)

 

I'm also curious about using acrylic modelling paste as a filler.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gargs said:

Dueling Khanjiras!  This will be very interesting to watch.  I would say how great it is that you can fall into a rhythm in this hobby and suddenly look up and realize that like 3 hours have flown by, but that's probably not how it feels when those three hours are spent solely on mold lines.  ::o:

 

Removing mold lines is my second favorite part of the model building hobby.  It's what I do when I want to work at my hobby table, but I don't want to paint.  A sharp knife and files, a podcast or YouTube channel, and a figure ready to clean up, and the evening just melts away.

 

Because of this, at any time I have a half dozen or more Bones figures cleaned up, mounted on caps, primed and washed with liner.  I don't consider them part of the shelf of shame -- instead, they're in the ready queue.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ahh, good to hear then!  That is the other cool thing about this hobby, everyone has different parts of it that they really enjoy.  I still find the cleaning of mold lines, etc tedious, but then I am also a newbie and don't have to worry about commissions and the like.  I do get where you are coming from though as I will sometimes clean/assemble models because I feel like working on my minis collection, but not painting.  I have a buddy who loves assembling models,  but is a lot slower when it comes to actually painting them.  We always joke that we'll just leave our unassembled models at his place and pick them up the next week.  Come to think of it, he hasn't actually said no . . .  :p

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last night: I finished cleaning up mold lines on only two more pieces, due to my early evening getting filled with yardwork and fence repair, but those two parts were the large back plate and the tail.  That leaves only smaller parts to go over.

 

This morning: Oh, so achey.  I can't move.  I pushed myself physically too far last night.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Gargs said:

Ahh, good to hear then!  That is the other cool thing about this hobby, everyone has different parts of it that they really enjoy.  I still find the cleaning of mold lines, etc tedious, but then I am also a newbie and don't have to worry about commissions and the like.  I do get where you are coming from though as I will sometimes clean/assemble models because I feel like working on my minis collection, but not painting.  I have a buddy who loves assembling models,  but is a lot slower when it comes to actually painting them.  We always joke that we'll just leave our unassembled models at his place and pick them up the next week.  Come to think of it, he hasn't actually said no . . .  :p

 

 Make him an offer -- paint one of his in exchange for assembling one of yours.  I bet he'll take you up on it!

 

My weak points in the hobby are basing and modding.  I don't like to cut up the models, or modify them;  I just like to paint them as they are.  I don't even like the idea of removing the integral bases on Reaper minis.  Mostly I just glue the integral base to a round base, sprinkle and paint some sand as ground cover, and call it done.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

 

 Make him an offer -- paint one of his in exchange for assembling one of yours.  I bet he'll take you up on it!

 

My weak points in the hobby are basing and modding.  I don't like to cut up the models, or modify them;  I just like to paint them as they are.  I don't even like the idea of removing the integral bases on Reaper minis.  Mostly I just glue the integral base to a round base, sprinkle and paint some sand as ground cover, and call it done.  

 

May do that.  Have to improve my painting skills first though as he's been at it a lot longer than I, and thus, is unsurprisingly better.  That said, I'm enjoying assembling models more and more now that I've gotten the hang of it.  I still hate the prep work of cleaning off mold lines (spent close to an hour on a model kit last night and didn't finish -- much smaller than a Khanjira though :P) but the only thing that really slows down the assembly aspect is that I also like painting and when I start on a model, I like to actually finish it first before moving onto the next.  Of course, this means I have a lot of models for games that are still unassembled, and thus, unplayable.  :(  Would be a relatively easy fix if I didn't suddenly decide I really like basing my models too!  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...