A complaint, about reaper (gasp!!)

Bluto

I love Reaper, really, I do, but I picked up two minis the other day, and have a major complaint.

The first was Iron Fist, Monk

The second was Randall Devonshire, Brigand Chief

Both look great, but Iron Fist doesn't even come up to Randalls armpits!

Isn't there a standard scale? This is not the only case of this. Many standard humans are taller than others. I do all my shopping from the website, then go to my FLGS and order what I liked. It's not until they show up, then I'm stuck with some insanely tall looking guy.

Another bad offender is Ballbek of Jalahandra

I'm not talking about minor differences, these are fine, but this is more like a human to a halfling, than a tall guy to a short guy. Can we not get all our artists on the same page?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did post a warning about Randall being a giant a while back. I don't particularly mind the difference in scale (especially since I tend to buy my stuff at the FLGS, where I get to see it first).

I imagine it's not the easiest thing to dictate to the sculptors precisely what height a miniature needs to be. However I do think it would be a good courtesy to post or print the height in mm from foot to eye of humanoid miniatures, and total height and/or length of monstrous miniatures (like they do for dragons).

A yet more interesting idea is to say 30 mm = 6 ft, and print attribute cards for each mini including height and weight.

But I wouldn't count on either idea being picked up due to their time consuming natures. Your best bet is to look , or ask before you buy.

I can't say I have those specific minis, but I do have baalbek & he does tower over others. Frankly I bought him in part for that. I get annoyed with every mini being exactly the same height, but some differences ARE too extreme. I know that the old RP figures do look too small next to the current Reaper minis & that creates an odd situation. I don't really like it. But I haven't had a problem in Reaper vs. Reaper yet. There are a wider variety of sizes than in the old RP line. That makes sense to me & is a selling point for me. Rogues should mostly be smaller than fighters, etc.

maybe it sounds like I'm contradicting myself. what I mean to say is that a variety of sizes, from jockeys to Shaquille O'Neal should be available for human men & that american gymnast who won the olympic vault in the 90's (what was her name?) to Margo Dydek for women. That really is a big range & it should be reflected in the minis. But being able to count on most humans being 4'10"-6'2" is also important. Variety within a bell curve I guess is what i'm saying. so far it feels like reaper has gotten it right.

You see, while in theory, yes there are all types of people, short and tall, that doesn't make a great excuse for this.

Other than the collectors, I'm pretty sure the largest part of Reaper's market is table-top roleplayers. Now, for this to work, the figures should represent PC's well. I challenge any GM to grab a handful of old character sheets of humans and check out the height range.  I can check the last 8 years of campaigns, and other than the odd exception, all human heights fall in the 5'10-6'3 range.

Why? The same reason no one plays the 90 pound, store clerk, weakling. That's not heroic. Qualities that are seen as unattractive(short, fat, balding) are not something people want to fantasize about being. The fact that there are many normal people in the world doesn't mean we need miniatures representative of the population.

So? Almost all PC's are the same general height, mini's should be close too.

all human heights? or all male human heights?

whatever. if it works for you, fine, that's great, choose only the minis that seem to be similar sizes, but it's hard to see how a variety of sizes hurts you. It helps me & others who play a wider variety of characters & you can still choose from the large number of minis that are similar sizes, so why not have a varied range?

Other than the collectors, I'm pretty sure the largest part of Reaper's market is table-top roleplayers. Now, for this to work, the figures should represent PC's well. I challenge any GM to grab a handful of old character sheets of humans and check out the height range.  I can check the last 8 years of campaigns, and other than the odd exception, all human heights fall in the 5'10-6'3 range.

Actually I'd disagree with you.  There are lots of roleplayers out there who like to play a variety of different characters.  My current D&D character is a human male who is 5'5" and has poor posture.  (Think Grima Wormtongue...)  Variety is the ####e of life, and it can challenge your roleplaying skills.

It's the flaws which really define the characters in my opinion.  If no one wants to play the short fat balding store clerk, then why bother to roll up stats.  We can just give ourselves all 18's.  All the male characters will have George Clooney's head on Arnold Schwarzenegger's body and with Ben Stein's Brain and Jack Nicholson's charm.  All the female characters will look like a castmember from Baywatch and have Condoleeza Rice's brain.  How boring is that?

I think it's what's not perfect about a character that makes them interesting.  Height and weight are two of those things.  Think outside the Hollywood box.

The only real problem I have with the 'off-scale' minis is during tabletop play... I buy a lot of minis, for collecting, and painting purposes, mostly... But, when I do play D&D, the choices for characters is somewhat... ummm... maybe limited is the right word.

For example, yesterday we started a little monthly one-off campaign, and one of my friends was playing an elf. Now, the perfect mini for his character would have been the GW LotR 'Haldir' mini... But, when placed next to the others in the party (all Reaper, except for my character, which was a Dwarf) he was a full head and a half shorter! Sooo... Haldir's out, and another Reaper is in...

I've noticed that as far as scale goes, Reaper usually stands well next to any GW Warhammer minis, WotC Silver Anniversary minis, anything by Hundred Kingdoms, most Ghost minis, and most of the newer slot based minis (VOID, Celtos, Clan War, etc... ).

But, on the other side of the coin any of the old Ral Parthas, about half of the Chainmail minis, and even the older Reapers are dwarfed by them.

My take on the whole thing... "Eh... what can you do." :)

Yeah, it's annoying.

Oh, btw... I noticed yesterday that I had a Chainmail elf standing next to a Warlord dwarf... guess which one was taller...;)

Well this is what I was once told... and the answer might help you guys see gasp, reaper's POV on this one. The models are based on well, if it is a gnome it is going to be well ahem, short. If this is a big guy he is going to be well, ahem, big. They are still heroic scale, but the point is... they are more true to life than the static hard 25 mm all have to be the same height minis that were put years back by other outfits. I mean it did not matter if this was a large man, elve or the left handed character, or just a rank and file trooper, they were all the same height.

Hope this helps to see their point of view. Once I internalized it I went, cool! you mean real world differences in heights DO play a role? I love it!

Nadin

The models are based on well, if it is a gnome it is going to be well ahem, short. If this is a big guy he is going to be well, ahem, big.

Well, most manufacturers are doing that, I believe... I think what the gripe in the thread is about is the great varience between 'big' guys and 'short' guys... Some humans are over a head taller than others, etc...

all human heights? or all male human heights?
Cripdyke - †all human heights. :) †In all due fairness, there has been one female player in our group, so even some of the female characters played by men are influenced by that, of course.

If no one wants to play the short fat balding store clerk, then why bother to roll up stats. †We can just give ourselves all 18's. †

SDNelson - Boy, I wish some people wouldn't take things so personally. Now, does that "poor postured" character of yours have any really good stuff about him? I betcha he does.

Again, heroic fantasy. Sure, lots of people will play a beefy brawler who might not be such a brainiac, or a charming ladies man who couldn't take a punch, but no one wants to play a frail, weak, dumb, and ugly character..

Anyway, my whole gripe was simply that two non-stooped, fighting stanced, human males were about 1.5-2 scale feet apart in height.

Again, for those of you who are reading too much into what I'm saying:

Normal Height Difference: Yay!

Outrageous Scale Difference: Nay!