Sign in to follow this  
aku-chan

Aku-chan paints... Brokk Grungsson

Working on something new, presenting Brokk Grungsson, Lord-Magnate of Barak-Nar, The Paragon of Prosperity from the City of the First Sunrise. He's a Dwarf Sky-Pirate who comes in lots of pieces:-

WPAegVn.jpg

Lots and lots of pieces.

Normally, I'd build various sub-assemblies for ease of painting before final assembly. But with the way the flying harness is built around Brokk it's looking like I might have to paint the individual pieces as he goes together.

cNyNrhL.jpg

This is as much as I dare assemble for now. Most of Brokk and the legs and shoulders of his harness.

gj5XuIz.jpg

And then the painting began.

Going against the official scheme (as usual) I've gone for red armour (Scarlett Red > Brownshade Wash > Blood Red > 1:1 Blood Red/Orange Red).

• Like 14

That is an INCREDIBLE array of parts just for one Dwarf. Have FUN with them all; AND GOOD LUCK!

I am so horribly messy with assembly, I would have to put the little Guy altogether before attempting the painting, AND then hope I could get the brush to all the inside places.

• Like 2

I love the new sky dwarves!!  Looking forward to this!  

As I still have thousands of points worth of skaven to build/paint they will have to wait.  Though all the sky stuff would look amazing pillaged by orcs or skaven...  hmmm...

• Like 2

On 06/06/2017 at 9:14 PM, malefactus said:

That is an INCREDIBLE array of parts just for one Dwarf. Have FUN with them all; AND GOOD LUCK!

I am so horribly messy with assembly, I would have to put the little Guy altogether before attempting the painting, AND then hope I could get the brush to all the inside places.

Thanks!

I'm a bit of a messy assembler too, but I could foresee getting trapped in an endless loop of retouching bits as I tried to get my brush in all the nooks and crannies.

On 07/06/2017 at 1:05 AM, Rahz said:

I love the new sky dwarves!!  Looking forward to this!  

As I still have thousands of points worth of skaven to build/paint they will have to wait.  Though all the sky stuff would look amazing pillaged by orcs or skaven...  hmmm...

I love them too! I'm hoping to eventually get all the heroes and an airship.

So this didn't go particularly well.

I wanted to try and get a bit more emphasis on the groves in his armour, but nothing I tried worked, so in frustration I dumped him in the paint stripper.

I'll start on him again, but my failure has done a number to my painting mojo, so it's going to be a little while.

• Like 2

Okay, lets get back to this:-

M7WtoGJ.jpg

The paint-stripping didn't work too well, he's pretty grainy to the touch now, so hopefully he won't need a second trip to the tub.

I also assembled him a little more, so now he has arms!

Gave him various basecoats:-

Armour (1:1:2 Scarlett Red/ Oiled Leather/ Yellow Ochre), was trying to lighten it up a bit from before, didn't really work.

Metallics (Brassy Brass)

Cloth (1:1 Yellow Ochre/ Bonewhite)

Boots and belt (Lonestar Leather)

This all got a Brownshade wash.

Now it's highlight time.

• Like 10

Progress:-

mfZU75C.jpg

Got his armour highlighted up with layers of 1:1:1 Scarlett Red/Oiled Leather/Yellow Ochre (I now see this was the wrong ratio) and 1:1:1:1 Scarlett Red/Oiled Leather/Yellow Ochre/Offwhite.

The grooves in his armour have pretty much disappeared again, but this time I'm just going to have to except it.

• Like 11

TklCgDd.jpg

Got the steel parts painted up with Oily Steel, started on the Bronze bits but I'm out of Bronze, so they're just Oiled Leather so far.

• Like 8

Thanks!

I should've stuck to my original plan and painted him with his arms unattached, but I'm getting there.

62ZOuiq.jpgfLXMWPe.jpg

I need to highlight his gloves and tidy up quite a few messy bits, but I'm more or less done with this part and I can move on to his exoskeleton.

• Like 8

Progress!

KOlGRnZ.jpgMVexHPS.jpg

Gave his exoskeleton various basecoats (Artic Blue, Oily Steel, Bronze, Polished Gold) then gave it a good Blackshade Wash.

Once dry I attached it to him to make it easier to hold, just need to finish the highlights then it's on to his head.

IyReNMW.jpg

• Like 9

More progress!

zyMmul9.jpg

Head... Attached!

r5FWL1P.jpg

Big stonking power cables... Attached!

s1l1z1O.jpg

Safety bar... Attached!

The head and cables are all finished. The safety bar has just been basecoated so I could get it into place, it still needs washing and detailing.

But that's Brokk himself pretty much done, now it's blimp-time!

• Like 8

That is one UBERCOOL Little Dude. I love the top hat, monocle, AND the handlebar mustache. Your BEAUTIFUL work with the brush & eye for colors really have made the most of a SPLENDID miniature.

I am looking forward to the Blimp. OUTSTANDING WORK!

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Finally managed to get a little bit more done (I'm just juggling too many minis at the moment, must focus!)

iRd1YYM.jpg

Propulsion unit painted...

3IaAxnD.jpg

...And attached.

Just need to do a few highlights and then I can make a start on the main body of his blimp (if I can get the stupid thing to fit together).

On the plus side, I seem to be finally getting the hang of my Blue Crystal paint, the glowy bits on this latest part turned out really good, I think.

• Like 6