Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

David's Blacktongue May Hangout Figure of the Month

I'm a little (a lot) behind on my threads, and even more so on getting to work on May's figure of the month. It didn't help that I didn't order him until the middle/end of the month.

I started last night... Prep was done in the usual way, first by washing in warm soapy water, then attaching him to the cork. I then cleaned up mold lines, though I missed a few. Mainly the one running across his knuckles on his left hand. Then I painted on a 5:2 brown liner & flow improver mix. As you can see below, I'm working on a few other minis too. The orc and werebat will get their own threads later. 

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Tonight was blocking in base colors, and working a bit on the skin. I'm sticking with the gnoll theme I did way back in the chainmail days with the gnolls all being demonic, to one extent or another. So they all get greyish fleshy faces, hands, and feet. I used Void blue for that, then mixed in cloudy grey to bring the color up. The fur was Nut Brown, with the ruff getting some Vallejo Red Leather. The cloth is Dragon Red, as are the lips. Everything that is going to be metal got a coat of Black. 

Image may contain: one or more people, shoes and indoor

And that's where I'll pick it up tomorrow!

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome!

• Like 10

I've been slowly making some progress...

Last night I brushed on a mix of nut brown and marigold yellow into the fur. Originally I tried nut brown and warrior flesh, but it didn't work for these guys or for the werebat that I originally mixed up the color for.

_20170614_225906.JPG

_20170614_225916.JPG

_20170614_225842.JPG

_20170614_225856.JPG

• Like 8

Progress! Mostly working on picking a leather color I like. I needed something that would stand out from the fur, so I ended up going lighter than is planned some darker just blended in.

Also highlighted the skirt by mixing marigold with dragon red. 

_20170619_215416.JPG

_20170619_215430.JPG

_20170619_215446.JPG

_20170619_215355.JPG

_20170619_215405.JPG

• Like 4

Aside from the base, I think I'm done with Blacktongue. I would say the same for the gnoll warrior, but I forgot the front of his shield!!

_20170621_214658.JPG

_20170621_214713.JPG

_20170621_214730.JPG

_20170621_214743.JPG

_20170621_214814.JPG

_20170621_214801.JPG

Looking at them this morning though, I'm thinking the tuft at the end of their tails should be the same color as their crest.

• Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Shadespyre
      Hello Reaper friends!  You might remember I did a whole tribe of Hill Giants on a display board, with hex bases?

This is my follow up to that, this time: Stone Giants.

Errrm, it all got a bit out of hand, and I'd LOVE some input from you all, please

This is where I'm at after a week and I'm a bit stuck tbh.

I think I need to decide more about what the "finish" will look like before I go a lot further. Once I cover that foam with more than paint it's going to be harder to make changes. I'm thinking of sort of "cladding" it in pieces of slate, with sculpted  bits / groundwork in the gaps?

I'd also love to hear suggestions for other miniatures and features to add to the scene to break up those big open rocky spaces. Current extra bits and bobs are just there for a sense of scale and how extra minis might "interrupt" or "enhance" the scene.

Some next steps though:
      - cork around the hexes on the platforms for the bases to fit into
      - some sort of "door frame"
      - "box in" the sides (which are cut out of a continuing mountainside, in my head at least)

Please, rain your ideas and encouragements upon me!

• By MoonglowMinis
      Help! I'm hating this paintjob.

I grabbed this demilich thinking it'd be a fun and easy paintjob. But everything I do makes me hate it more.

I was trying to go for a green flame look, so yellow on the inside, and gradually darker green highlights on the outside. These were drybrushed and then cleaned up by hand. I think this is where the problem started because it's not reading as fire. It just looks like a blobby mess?

Should I just scrap it and start over with more of an ethereal glow that's darker in the middle and lighter on the edges?

I also am not happy with the base. I've never painted a 2D base before, I've always added some kind of texturing material. And although I'm reasonably satisfied with how the base looks on the summoning circle behind the demilich, it looks so bad on the demilich base. And I think my green glow isn't helping. 

And finally the Bones. I imagined that if there was a green light behind the Bones then they'd be tinted green and darker on the outside. Again .. this just doesn't look right.

I'm normally fairly confident in my painting abilities, but I think I've landed in unfamiliar territory and I'm just not sure how to salvage or proceed. What can I do?
    • By Maledrakh
      Every so often, a model catches my attention. Sometimes because it is excellent and inspiring, sometimes because there is something off about it. Sometimes the model is both.  Here is one such example:

Yeah, it is the angle of the buckler thats just wrong. It simply should not happen. It triggers my OCD.
      This is the "Gnoll Warrior" from the "Thank You pack" add-on in the second Bones kickstarter. During the kickstarter it was presented as a line concept drawing and as is usually the case, the resulting miniature ends up slightly different. Still a perfectly good representation of the original concept art, but anyhow.
      That said, I do understand that one-piece castability requires certain angles and alignments for the mould to work, and to get the detail in the shield to show it cannot be sideways in the mould. There have been plenty of examples of minis in strange poses and/or holding things at strange angles because of this.
      This Gnoll is also stylistically rather different from the other Gnolls Reaper makes in Bones, perhaps it's just not so comic-like?
      But I ramble.
      The other day as I yet again was perusing the Drawers of Doom™, I picked this one for the painting table. But first it got to meet Mr. Scalpel for a field amputation followed by a quick rotation and graft:
      One drop of superglue later the case of the misaligned buckler was solved.
      Add a base and some paint:

Good thing classic Bones material is really easy to slice and reposition. Such an excellent material for convertions as well.

Jagged white parallells of sharp fangs emerged into the campfire light, then a staring yellow eye. Inquisitive, roughly probing clawed fingers followed. Snorting, foul breath enveloped me, causing me to gag.
      It jerked its beast-like head back, loud barks of mocking laughter spraying spittle in my face as I tried to stand my ground.
         "I smell fright, little man", the gnoll rasped out at last. "Why's that parlay-totem here?"

This mini was finished September 12th 2020.

77388 Gnoll Warrior
      From the second Bones kickstarter 2013
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Bobby Jackson
      classic white Bones PVC
      40mm base
      available from reapermini.com
    • By Otyugh
      This is my filthy first.

I finally gave in and purchased one of the Bones figures. It is the otyugh-ish filth beast by Bob Ridolfi.

It is a big change from the metal minis I usually purchase. The material is way bendy, almost like a green Gumby toy.

The coolest thing is the way it is baka yoke, and all the pieces are "keyed" to a hole. I would have to try really hard to mess up the assembly on this one!

• By MoonglowMinis
      First time showing something off on the forums! Normally only post to my instagram @MoonglowMinis

Had a blast painting this one up! Had to tap into my painterly side to get the glow effect I wanted and to transition the plating down to the end of the tail where there was no sculpted detail. 

Hope you all like it!

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)