Chris Palmer

Dollar Tree Sand Mold to Sci-Fi Generator Conversion

When scouting the local Dollar Tree this past week, I saw this sand mold of the Sydney Opera House.  It's part of a collection they have along with other world landmarks like the Eiffel Tower, Pyramid, and Leaning Tower of Pisa.

I thought it looked like it might be useful as some sort of Sci-Fi industrial structure, like a large generator, pumping station, or engine of some sort.  

fullsizeoutput_1e13.jpeg

So, after glueing on some bits, and painting this was the outcome:

fullsizeoutput_1e2c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1e35.jpeg

IF you want to read more about the project, and see some more work in process photos, please see my blog: 

http://onemoregamingproject.blogspot.com/2017/06/dollar-tree-sand-mold-sci-fi-terrain.html

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 19

I got one the other day as well.  Was thinking along same line.  Just haven't gotten to it yet.  Good job.

• Like 1

Is it hollow? If its hollow then you could just fill with your favorite casting material and make more!

• Like 2

Since it's a sand mold, I think it pretty much has to be hollow. It seems likely that the edges on the inside are more crisp as well, though that's not necessarily an advantage. Heck, playground sand and PVA should work pretty well as a really cheap casting medium, though heavy.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Heisler said:

Is it hollow? If its hollow then you could just fill with your favorite casting material and make more!

22 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Since it's a sand mold, I think it pretty much has to be hollow. It seems likely that the edges on the inside are more crisp as well, though that's not necessarily an advantage. Heck, playground sand and PVA should work pretty well as a really cheap casting medium, though heavy.

Yes, it's hollow.  As Doug surmises, since it's designed to mold sand with on the beach, being hollow is it's main attribute.   Yes, you could easily cast in it using any number of mediums; but the way I see it, for a buck $, it seems cheaper to buy multiples of the mold, than to expend the time and material to make castings.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 11

51 minutes ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Brilliant!  :D  Thanks for sharing your inspiration!

Thank you!  And, you're welcome. ::):

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jordan Peacock
      Online, from a certain market of miniatures, I found some "Kaosball" team expansion packs on clearance (for a better price than what they're listed at now, as of this writing).  Each pack contains 13 32mm-scale minis in 2 poses (6 of one pose on 25mm square bases, and 7 of an alt pose on 25mm round bases), a "bust" that represents the "team coach," and a game-specific 12-sided die (which I suppose isn't much use for anything, unless I actually wanted to play the game).  Anyway, this worked out to being under $1 a figure, and the sculpts looked interesting, so I got a few packs.  (I find it hilarious, though, that while most of the packs are marked down, the "Felinia Hellcats" -- scantily-clad gun-toting cat-girls -- are specifically marked as "[CLEARANCE]" and yet they're priced at about 3x the asking price for each of the other teams.)

I originally picked these guys up (the "Samaria Barbarians") with a vague intent that "someday" I would run a Savage Worlds convention one-shot scenario heavily inspired by the "Brütal Legend" video game ... but it occurred to me that few if any of my players would have heard of that game, and I'm no particular "expert" on anything rock-and-roll-related, so maybe I'm not the best person to GM such a setting.

However, I could always use a few more post-apocalyptic wastelanders.  The "big hair" style here doesn't necessarily look like it would fit the current Fallout aesthetic as established in Fallout 4 and Fallout 76, but I think these guys wouldn't look terribly out of place in the original Fallout 1 & 2 (what with all the "Mad Max" and "Fist of the North Star" wannabes wandering about in those games).  I removed the figures from their bases, putty-and-texture-stamped the 25mm round bases, putty-and-texture-stamped some plastic 25mm rounds for the remaining figures, and did a few hand swaps and bit-add-ons to give a few of the figures visible ranged weaponry.  (I figured that would give me a little more buy-in if I were to field a gang of these guys for an encounter and then they start FIRING on the PCs, versus what pushback I might get if they *appeared* to only be armed with axes.)

I used some paper printed license plates to add some "junk armor" elements to further reinforce the "post-apocalyptic" vibe.

Each team pack also comes with a "bust" to represent the team coach.  I went with a bronze-and-verdigris scheme for each.
    • By lexomatic
      Came across this article. Oh to have money, time, and space.

"The scenery and structures are his forte, rather than the locomotives and tracks. "I find beauty in what everyone else sees as ugly - rugged skyscrapers, beaten-up warehouses, things that are very run down."
    • By HolkDiggity
      Hey, all!

Over the course of Bones 5, there were a few models that I was hoping for. I would say that Reaper totally exceeded my expectations and covered about 90% of my personal hopes. One of the things that wasn't in there was an Azer. For those of you who don't know, an Azer is a creature from the plane of fire, and they resemble Dwarves. They are so hot that their heads are covered in flames, and often this heat causes their weapons to be set aflame as well.

Since I had an extra Dark Dwarf Pounder from my November order, I figured that I'd try my hand at a conversion. I have exactly zero experience with sculpting other than filling gaps or making a rock or two, but I have YouTube, so why not? The first thing that I did was get the model and choose a base to put it on. I went with a simple flagstone base from Secret Weapon.

Next, I shaved off and filed down the little "3 Nail" sigil that these dudes wear. I like that Sigil just fine, but its more representative of Duergar than an Azer, so off it comes. I also clipped away the oval base and filed the feet to be flat.

Next, I washed the model and pinned it to a cork. I also washed the base and drilled a hole for the pin, and then stuck that on a cork as well. Once the model was dry, I mixed up some Green Stuff and followed along with a step-by-step for fire that I found online. Basically, you start with a cone and stick it down. I put it on the Dwarf's head, and then used a thin tool to push down the edges of the cone into the head and shoulders. Then, I used tweezers to twist and pull the top of the cone into a sort of whirlwind. Then, dipping the tweezers in water to keep them from sticking, I took sections of the Green Stuff and pulled outward and twisted. Once I had the flames the way I wanted them, I went back in with the tool and made more indentations in the fire. I did the same thing with the flames on the weapon.

I'm waiting for him to dry and cure right now, and then I'll get on to priming him and painting him up this weekend! Stay tuned!
    • By nervisfr
      hey guys,

Started from that big guy (a LOTR figurine) ;

With a Grenadier 28mm for comparison scale 

then after a  surgical action ;

Cheers
      Eric
    • By Werkrobotwerk
      I has a neat looking Aquila standard, and most of a skeleton and nothing to do with them, so I made this. 

Chaos guy got smote so hard he skeletonized

• Who's Online   23 Members, 0 Anonymous, 150 Guests (See full list)