Sign in to follow this  
Sirithiliel

Dagon WIP

Basecoated this guy to figure out what color scheme i wanted to do. I rather like the olive and red

DSC03500.JPG

DSC03501.JPG

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 21

Very nice; I like the scheme.

On another note, how many minis do you typically work on at once?  By my count, this is the fourth big one you've got going right now. :blink:

• Like 3

Wow!  What sort of red is that?  To my eyes, it looks like it's sort of an orange-to-orange-red gradient thing you've got going for the fins.  I really like the subdued green / muddy green, by the way.  I've been trying to experiment a bit myself with colors tending more toward brown and grey, and away from BRIGHT BLAZING COLORS, in one part because I'm trying to get a little further away from cartoonish circa-1990s "Rogue-Trader"-era paint schemes in general (for things that shouldn't be painted up like circus clowns), and for another, because if I want to have forced-light effects and glowy bits, they work a lot better if they aren't competing with bright colors elsewhere on the figure.  But the way you're starting off with this figure is downright inspiring for how it still looks visually engaging and COLORFUL without turning the saturation up to 11.  :)  I'll have to try something like this on my fishy pirates.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Very nice; I like the scheme.

On another note, how many minis do you typically work on at once?  By my count, this is the fourth big one you've got going right now. :blink:

oh i have several in stages of being painted, some have been shelved for months at a time.

Right now, just what's on my actual painting desk and not what's been shelved to do later, I have:

Rainforest Ma'al

my Ma'al

T'rauk

Dagon

Goremaw

Dwarf King

HIppocampus diorama

Rooster riding archer

Bones sphinx

Coral Golem

Plant dragon and plant babies

Two pewter cows

Mudcroak the frog shaman

And then in my closet storage, I have several more, like: my chessmate dragon diorama, ebonwrath, my entire Warlord reptile army, a second Narthrax, etc etc...

so really i could be actively working on a handful, or on dozens...it's more what my mood decides i feel like painting that night, and i pick it up and start, then i'll put it down and work on something else

i've been alternating painting the Ma'als, one one day, one the next day, and then working on smaller things while the paint dries on them

2 minutes ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Wow!  What sort of red is that?  To my eyes, it looks like it's sort of an orange-to-orange-red gradient thing you've got going for the fins.  I really like the subdued green / muddy green, by the way.  I've been trying to experiment a bit myself with colors tending more toward brown and grey, and away from BRIGHT BLAZING COLORS, in one part because I'm trying to get a little further away from cartoonish circa-1990s "Rogue-Trader"-era paint schemes in general (for things that shouldn't be painted up like circus clowns), and for another, because if I want to have forced-light effects and glowy bits, they work a lot better if they aren't competing with bright colors elsewhere on the figure.  But the way you're starting off with this figure is downright inspiring for how it still looks visually engaging and COLORFUL without turning the saturation up to 11.  :)  I'll have to try something like this on my fishy pirates.

The green is just a coat of 09035 Olive green with 09011 Leaf Green over his upper back armor. 

The orange is a mix, with 09218 Lava orange along the bottom, and wet blended into 09663 Big Top Red at the top

• Like 6

Siri is working on Dagon!  Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

The end is near. I hear a noise at the door, as of some immense slippery body lumbering against it. It shall not find me. God, that hand! The window! The window!

The Egg

Edited by OneBoot
fixed quote stretching out thread
  • Like 2

Love how this one connects to it's base. I still might get a clear rod & insert it into his belly for support but yah sweet mini. I did have to do repair work on mine when I got him. One of the small dorsal fins (on his body piece) looked like it was cut & about to fall off. Superglue fixed that right up.

Looking forward to see what you do with this one.