ladystorm

Reaper Bones 3: US Zone Complete

@Thes Hunter Well, I have only partially assembled mine (after dryfitting, dremeling, shaving, and filing the roof). I haven't primed it or painted it. I have glued the walls in L shapes so I could still paint the interior. I prime some things with brown liner if I want them to be dark, everything else I spray with Army Painter matte white primer. I will probably spray the mausoleum. With the white Bones, I have never had a problem with paint chipping off either. This grey that the mausoleum is made from definitely has a different feel to it and I was just concerned that the scraping of the roof against the walls would remove paint. I would be delighted if I were wrong. (There is something I never thought I would say!)

You mention not to use beige liner. I have considered getting a lighter colored liner than brown and thought about trying the sepia. Are all liners not created equally when priming Bones?

Thank you for the discussion!

As for missing Reapercon, man, I would love to go and would jump at the chance if I had the opportunity! I am so envious reading the posts and looking at photos every year. I wouldn't let the frustration over Bones 3 (and I am in Australia too so trust me, I feel ya on this!) keep me from going if that were the only reason.

• Like 1

@Pochi

I don't know why I keep saying beige when I mean Sepia. The sepia liner has problems when used as a Bones primer. I have had no problems with Grey, Brown, Blue or Green. (I haven't tried red yet.) 

Sepia liner has rubbed off with the lightest touch when I have used it. I found this out after I primed a number of minis for my husband and I to take to a convention. Luckily he had changed his mind and no longer wished to play a Dwarf. So I experimented. I had noticed that the bits I had painted with several layers of paint had much better durability.

I coated him in brush on sealer. I then threw him in with a bunch of other minis, where he was sucked right or roughly jostled. He came out pretty good. There was some minor wear, but not bad for something that previously could withstand someone sneezing in its general vicinity. 

However, even with the brush on sealer, the sepia liner 'primed' Bones figure still would rub off with decent pressure. (See below photo.) however Bones 'primed' with the other liners or just painted with a coat of non thinned paint directly, and then coated with brush on sealer have excellent durability. I have aggressively rubbed it, and have not been able to remove any paint. Prelim tests show continued good results. I am now going to extensively test them (i.e. Take them back and forth to a Pathfinder game toting them in a tub and allowing players to grab them and do what they will. We will see how they continue to fair.)

6178746080_IMG_0117.JPG.81069ee9a4081b2dd633650aa254e76d.JPG

Sepia liner with brush on sealer durability test. Where I rubbed with moderate pressure. 

6178746080_IMG_0122.JPG.35e6d8b3160b196462171d1c746ce089.JPG

No additional pressure, all wear is from banging around in a bin during a convention, and being jostled while sorting and deploying other minis.

(note a couple of the white spots are glare, but the wear on his mustache is real wear and representative of the wear that was on his back efore I tried to see how much more would come off and how easily.)

• Like 8

@Thes Hunter Thanks for that. Like I said, I tend towards brighter colors so was looking for a lighter liner for the Bones and had considered the sepia. Thanks for the information, I guess I'll stick with the spray on until Reaper comes out with a light liner that has the durability of the brown.

• Like 2

I am in possession of my Bones in Japan.

I haven't opened the box yet.

Thanks to the people at Reaper and Aetherworks for your hard work.

For the next Bones I think you should rethink the way you do international orders, or at least send out a questionnaire to gauge people's opinions.

Overall I am quite happy with the way things went. My stern dwarven resolve means that waiting is not a problem, but the last stage to Australia was something I didn't appreciate. 

For me in Japan it is like sending all your US orders to Brazil first.

Aetherworks did a great job and they were very responsive to Facebook messages, but maybe it is something to consider for Bones 4.

Now to dive into that box of Bones and find me dwarf kin.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Grrr. They're on wave 8 and still no shipping notice for my wave 7 self.

Hope you'll get the email soon. I wish I could take tmr off...but sadly we have an audit tomorrow and I doubt my absence would be appreciated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

The tracker just hit 200, and Wave 9...

Seems they hit wave 10 on 205....not sure if this is still in order.

5 hours ago, Pochi said:

@Thes Hunter Thanks for that. Like I said, I tend towards brighter colors so was looking for a lighter liner for the Bones and had considered the sepia. Thanks for the information, I guess I'll stick with the spray on until Reaper comes out with a light liner that has the durability of the brown.

You can dilute the darker liners with brush on sealer. I've had good results with that. 

54 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Grrr. They're on wave 8 and still no shipping notice for my wave 7 self.

The like is because I'm a sadist.

Edited by Thes Hunter
Sadists can't spell
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:

You can dilute the darker liners with brush on sealer. I've had good results with that. 

Yup, that's been my experience as well.

• Like 1

I am wave 1 and the packers are on wave 10.

not heard a peep apart from the form response to my query a week ago.

all I ever wanted was to know what is up with my shipment, Reaper?

• Like 1