Hosercanadian paints Tyrea Bronzelocks

hosercanadian

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right then. Just had a look over on your blog and can say that I love what you've done to this model. The woad paint and her hair and skin are all great. I'm not just saying this as an empty platitude, either. I have more questions than answers now and that's a state that I enjoy being in at all times.

I know this is the Show Off forum and not the Answer Mehman's Questions forum but I must ask how you did her hair and skin. There are multiple ways logged on my computer on how to do both but, still, I must know. Red hair and pale skin are both fascinating to me. Also, since we're here, you seemed to have nailed contrast on a female subject. How? My women either come out with too much contrast or have too little contrast.

Well the answer to all your questions is wet-blending and very thin coats that leave transparency.

I start all my pale flesh as a cinnamon brown.  From there I blend that with white.  I put on very thin coats that are almost a glaze.  After it is completely dry I add in the final paleness (again just blends of the same white and brown just with more white).  The fact that the shadows are subtle is achieved by covering the recesses as well and then only focusing on raised areas for the final lightest coats.

My red hair method is the same as skin, just with cinamon brown and dark red as the mid coat and the final red is bright red with a bit of cinammon brown.

Except for the metal weapons and armour everything is the same brown base, the gold belt included.  The contrast I find is more due to the similar base tones than stark differences: the small changes are more noticeable with the subtle transition.

• Like 1

That makes a lot of sense and exactly answers my thoughts on whether or not to cover the recesses. I think that's where I go wrong when the model comes out with too much contrast. Adding shadows back in the recesses and redoing them certainly isn't hard if a mistake is made. Luckily, I paint in glazes ^_^!

Thanks for the help. It is much needed.