Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

WIP 77557 KS3 Mystic Circle

Recommended Posts

I'm relatively new to painting and had to put it on the back burner for a while. My KS3 shipment just came in and I figured the Mystic Circle would be the perfect "mini" to jump back in with.  

I was out of crazy glue and could not assemble it. If your in this situation, sharpies fit inside the stone pillars perfectly.   

I used craft store black paint to base coat the stone, and inadvertently made a half wash. I'm not happy with how it pooled in some areas, but I'm going to move on an use it as a learning experience.  

Im planning on using a dremel to carve in runes on the stone. Has anyone used anything else to carve into reaper bone material?

Any tips or C&C would be appreciated.  




Edited by DefectiveDonor
  • Like 15

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

 I dremeled a rune in each column. There is 7 columns if you count the complete columns as one each so I found "runes for the seven deadly sins." 

Move put down a blue wash down followed by three grays layers of dry brushing, an off white dry brushing, and a brown wash. I think it's looking pretty good so far.  

Im planning on putting/painting moss on the stones, painting the runes the colors representing the seven deadly sins and giving them a glow effect. I would love to put some ivy on the columns but I cannot find any locally or on Amazon. 

Im leaning on an autumn-ish basing, but I'm not sure. Can you have green moss during the autumn? 

The side by side shot of the columns is before and after the brown wash. 




  • Like 8

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your runes came out great. The stones are looking ominously mystical. 

I've never bought any ivy for basing but I have some Army Painter Battlefields Lichen Summer Undergrowth (it's on Amazon, ebay, Miniature Market, etc...). Would something like that work? It doesn't have leaves like ivy but you may be able to add a bit of leaf scatter.




  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't done the runes yet, that's just the blue wash.  

I actually have that product you've shown. I thought it would be firmer that it is, it's almost rubbery. I have to look up how to use it. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I painted up the runes and attempted to make them appear to glow. I think the blue and purple came out rather well. The yellow and pink not so much at all. For some reason when painting some of the runes, the blue wash that I painted several layers ago was drawn to the top.  

I put down a layer of Gale Force 9 autumn flock, hoping it looks like leaf clutter and I mixed green paint with some dried tea leaves. That's drying now and will hopefully work well for moss. After the moss is on, I think the mystic Circle will be finished. 


  • Like 7

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Added in some moss but it sort of looks like ivy I think. I don't think it's enough so I have some more drying today and I'm not sure if I should dry brush it a lighter green, red, orange, brown, or leave it as is. 


  • Like 7

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Kev!
        It's a mystery to everybody...

      Come back at the solstice,
      P.S. Ostarzha for scale
    • By sigmaone
      My first Bones 3 paint job is also one of the ones I was most anticipating. It's not quite done, since I have to touch up some of the little stones on the ground, but I'm basically calling it done.   I've read that you shouldn't overdo the static grass, but I didn't really know what else to put in it and I didn't want to leave too much bare "broccoli base."  Overall, I'm not too unhappy with how it turned out, given my level of ability.

      Oh, on this note... I've got some "flower stuff" which is okay, but I don't love it. It does have lots of nice little yellow bits. You can see these clumped up in the bottom picture.  I'm wondering if people can recommend a good "spray glue" or something to that effect, so that I can just spray a light coating of clue in some places, and then sprinkle the yellow bits. I'm looking for a more spread out "wildflowers" effect, since I think the clumps are too much.
    • By knarthex
      So I finished up the Oathsworn Mystic Circle and Runestones from the latest KickStarter....
      Pentacle by itself:

      Circle with the different inserts

      The Runestones:

      All together:

      Was a Fun thing to paint....
      Thanks for looking!
    • By knarthex
      You knew it was going to happen, didn't you....
      My Oathsworn KS cam the other day, and I thought it might make a break from painting scales on Czaristikalian... (Nathavarr)
      So I dremeled the center circle a bit to make all the inserts fit, attached the pieces to handles, and primed them black....

      Stay tuned for more.....
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)

  • Create New...