• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm not a fan of the particular look of this line of figures, but they are exquisitly painted.  Great job!

Yeah, this. GW's been over designed for a while now (new not-dwarfs are the worst), but I'm always a fan of @odinsgrandson's paint jobs. No disappointment here. They make up for the ridiculous sculpts.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, pinkymadigan said:

Yeah, this. GW's been over designed for a while now (new not-dwarfs are the worst), but I'm always a fan of @odinsgrandson's paint jobs. No disappointment here. They make up for the ridiculous sculpts.

I totally get that.

Honestly, I think that GW's move towards over the top heavy metal stylings has been motivated by the industry.

I mean, back in the day, there were really only a couple of styles to minis- more heroic covered Heartbreaker, GW etc, while less heroic covered Ral Partha and Grenedier etc.  

But with Kickstarter, we not only got a huge influx of minis that we will never have time enough to paint, we've also seen a huge growth in styles of minis each exaggerating different aspects- there's Privateer Press' love for the fiddly bits, there's Infinity's sleek body armor, B-Sieged exaggerates minis in one way, and Wyrd exaggerates the opposite features, and Relic Knights has everything looking cell shaded.  And that's not to mention True Scale minis from Dark Sword, the Adonis with oversized weapons from Kingdom Death and Chibis that range from the goofy caricatures of Arcadia Quest to the 'cute but badass' minis from Sodapop.

Granny Wendy needed to go somewhere to make her minis seem distinct in this market.- her older style could hardly be distinguished from Dark Age (who are now much more true scale, but kept the Grimdark feel).  She always had a little bit of a Gwar thing going on, but now she's working to ride the line between super awesome and super cheesy- and she often falls over the wrong end.

Personally- I can love an over the top mini as well as a more subtle mini.  The Fireslayers don't do it for me, but I rather like the steampunk squats that they've introduced into AoS.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, odinsgrandson said:

She always had a little bit of a Gwar thing going on, but now she's working to ride the line between super awesome and super cheesy- and she often falls over the wrong end.

Fun fact, Gwar actually played WHFB around edition 4. I had a friend who met them after a show in our teens and said they had a game set up.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Iridil
      I've bought several Christmas minis over the years, but this is the first one I painted! He's such a cute fellow and I had fun with him, even if it was Dec 28th before he was done... 

• By R2ED
      Just picking up on all the posts I've missed over the last few months.  

Battle Report! 
      Turns out squigs are not just funny looking, they are funny to paint.  I loved these models and really found they took amazing to dry brushing. I was testing colors and layers.  

Highs:
      * dry brush was excellent.  Used some cheapo makeup brushes and they did great. 
      * i used a purple glaze over orange and then built it up with orange further.  Looked good. 
      *  blue came out great, but i don't know what layers to use on it to give contrast like the purple orange one. 
      *teeth are all solid and look good. 
      *skin folds are natural looking and added freckles on some are much better than expected. 
      * the yellow one was testing out transparent paints and it went on like a dream. 

Lows:
      *not too many complaints really.  These all came out more or less as expected.  
      * challenged by how low they are to the base and getting them with ground effects. 
      *never painted mushrooms and wasn't sure how to go about it. 

• By aku-chan
      When the Space Pope absolutely needs someone to die very publicly and messily, he calls upon the services of a Mother Superior.
      One woman armies with no regard for the collateral damage they cause, towns, cities (and, according to legend, the occasional planet) are reduced to ruins as the Mother Superior single-mindedly pursues her target.
      Often the eternal struggle to protect Mankind from the Horrors that lurk beyond the stars requires subtlety, but occasionally, you want to send a stonking great message about the consequences of meddling with things you don't understand. 

Presenting a Mother Superior (AKA Morvenn Vahl, a hero from Warhammer 40k's Sisters of Battle faction), a terrifyingly unstoppable force of divine judgement.

Bit of a mixed bag this one, I'm happy with a lot of it, but some bits could be better (like the terrible job I did on her face). At least she's finally done now.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
    • By Grim
      I may end up doing a bunch of image dumps - I've painted a lot this year and maybe I should just post them in sets. 

This one, though, deserves its own post, I think.  I painted up the Green Dragon Hatchling from waaaay back in Bones 2, showed it to my wife, and she made some suggestions - so here you have it painted up as a Swamp Dragon from the Discworld, as kept by Lady Sybil of Ankh-Morpork.  I gave them a collar and name plate, and since they're a tame dragon, I gave them a few chew toys, including a Rolly Ball just like Rex of "Snake Discovery," as can be seen here:

https://www.twitch.tv/snakediscovery

Comments, criticisms, and suggestions welcome!

• By SotF
      I actually painted this shortly before the lockdowns started when the store had it and the D&D campaign I was in was running Lost Mines and we'd gotten to the beginning of the dragon encounter. So I'd painted it up and brought it in since the DM didn't have a green dragon of the right size and the sculpt actually looks a lot like the D&D Green Dragon if you remove the tail blades.

After running it, another friend wanted to borrow the mini for an adventure he was running right as lockdown started and I just got it back.

The big thing with it was the expirament with various stick on plastic jewels and if I could use gold and silver glitter with a large enough size to work for coins as a a workable basing material with some added wash ontop. I like the result there and it gives the feel of the dragons hoard that it might have been napping on when someone woke it up.