Sign in to follow this  

38 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm not a fan of the particular look of this line of figures, but they are exquisitly painted.  Great job!

Yeah, this. GW's been over designed for a while now (new not-dwarfs are the worst), but I'm always a fan of @odinsgrandson's paint jobs. No disappointment here. They make up for the ridiculous sculpts.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, pinkymadigan said:

Yeah, this. GW's been over designed for a while now (new not-dwarfs are the worst), but I'm always a fan of @odinsgrandson's paint jobs. No disappointment here. They make up for the ridiculous sculpts.

I totally get that.

Honestly, I think that GW's move towards over the top heavy metal stylings has been motivated by the industry.

I mean, back in the day, there were really only a couple of styles to minis- more heroic covered Heartbreaker, GW etc, while less heroic covered Ral Partha and Grenedier etc.  

But with Kickstarter, we not only got a huge influx of minis that we will never have time enough to paint, we've also seen a huge growth in styles of minis each exaggerating different aspects- there's Privateer Press' love for the fiddly bits, there's Infinity's sleek body armor, B-Sieged exaggerates minis in one way, and Wyrd exaggerates the opposite features, and Relic Knights has everything looking cell shaded.  And that's not to mention True Scale minis from Dark Sword, the Adonis with oversized weapons from Kingdom Death and Chibis that range from the goofy caricatures of Arcadia Quest to the 'cute but badass' minis from Sodapop.

Granny Wendy needed to go somewhere to make her minis seem distinct in this market.- her older style could hardly be distinguished from Dark Age (who are now much more true scale, but kept the Grimdark feel).  She always had a little bit of a Gwar thing going on, but now she's working to ride the line between super awesome and super cheesy- and she often falls over the wrong end.

Personally- I can love an over the top mini as well as a more subtle mini.  The Fireslayers don't do it for me, but I rather like the steampunk squats that they've introduced into AoS.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, odinsgrandson said:

She always had a little bit of a Gwar thing going on, but now she's working to ride the line between super awesome and super cheesy- and she often falls over the wrong end.

Fun fact, Gwar actually played WHFB around edition 4. I had a friend who met them after a show in our teens and said they had a game set up.

• Like 3

As usual, I love your color set up and execution. Great work.

Out of curiosity, what are your preferred colors for that bright, shiny armor?

On 14-6-2017 at 4:54 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm not a fan of the particular look of this line of figures, but they are exquisitly painted.  Great job!

THIS!