02782: Warl Hellbore, Assassin WIP

Wow, my first WIP post in a loooong time here. It is not a Bones (booo! get out of here!) but it is a mini that my wife once started to basecoat because she loved the pose, and I decided to give it a go to have a "fun" sideproject while I paint Infinity troopers in a product-line way.

The base was cut and rearranged to have him jumping out of a dark portal in a generic fantasy street. I worked some on the base, as you can see. I need to find some small things to litter the base, and because I am lacking anything appropriate, perhaps model a little mouse running away as well would be a great addition.

IMG-20170614-WA0028.thumb.jpeg.be94b11e16212b81261f0f5797f6f659.jpeg

IMG-20170614-WA0034.thumb.jpeg.fbf8d70ccb735b241c40e1e0e7195730.jpeg

C&C welcomed, as usual.

• Like 19
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Silvervane said:

I like the idea, and you seem off to a good start.  A slightly morbid note, you could have the rat cut in half by the portal opening.  The rat still bleeding showing how recently and suddenly it was opened.

Mmm... now I want to try sculpting that.

Idea is a "portal" as in wall opening, not a magical gate. I want to play with light/dark and mostly desaturated tones with a few color notes. I wanted to add a wall lamp to include a saturated focus, but that has been done a lot so I need other options. One I am pondering is using a Bones small barrell I have somewhere close to the opening and modelling a few candles on it, but the focus shift to his lower left side (the face side, right from front view)... I am not 100% convinced about it.

Once I find the barrell I will do some mockups and ask for your ideas.

This is a possible configuration of things on the floor to "fill" the scene. Thank Reaper for Bones...

I might add some loose coins scattered on the floor after I glue them down. What do you think? Too much stuff? Something you would remove? Add? I could try to create some bottles for example. Or the rat I mentioned before. 

I also had the mad idea of modelling some candle next to the barrel, and do a night scene with a down-up light situation. Madness.

IMG_20170617_203241.thumb.jpg.f7c89aa9d6bde9a654b43be1da58cedd.jpg

IMG_20170617_203250.thumb.jpg.a563b378de81f30a9d2eb115569dfe61.jpg

IMG_20170617_203258.thumb.jpg.1de1140fdaaf689e165baf5e4ba3daa9.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks. The mini is impressive and the detail very crisp (something that I sometimes feel lacking in some amazing Reapers from time ago, perhaps due to molds deterioration). But this little guy has details on him that I would expect from other lines that take pride on their detailed minis. The pose, the smirk on his face, the unusual knives... the original idea was to have him jumping out of a window with broken glass flying out. But it was an execution nightmare, so I decided to just modify the base, do something quick, and paint him.

I want to add something more to the story. Perhaps half a thrown spear out of the opening, like somebody is kicking him out? Flying coins (I spend the afternoon trying to make putty coins and failed)? There is a certain something missing and I don't know what.

• Like 1

So, to have him leaping away from danger doesn't make sense to me, since he is an assassin with both wicked knives ready to strike.

This professional killer has perfected this death-from-above leap over countless confrontations.  This leaves the only possible answer that he has been lying in wait in a dark archway until the most opportune time to leap out and sneak attack with his envenomed Persian daggers, driving them home just above each clavicle, severing each subclavian artery to release a rain of bright red blood.

The only problem is the composition of the base/vignette is such that there is no room for his prey, since he is leaping out at the viewer, almost off the base.  So, we are left imagining the details and features of his target.

Putting some crates, sacks of grain, barrels, etc could add to some exposition of why he is leaping, but it isn't terribly necessary.

What could be very effective is to paint half of him in shadowy brown/gray/blue and only the front of him in torch or lamplight, emphasizing his materialization out of the shadows.

• Like 2
On 18/6/2017 at 1:52 AM, Willen said:

This is a possible configuration of things on the floor to "fill" the scene. Thank Reaper for Bones...

I might add some loose coins scattered on the floor after I glue them down. What do you think? Too much stuff? Something you would remove? Add? I could try to create some bottles for example. Or the rat I mentioned before. 

I also had the mad idea of modelling some candle next to the barrel, and do a night scene with a down-up light situation. Madness.

IMG_20170617_203241.thumb.jpg.f7c89aa9d6bde9a654b43be1da58cedd.jpg

IMG_20170617_203250.thumb.jpg.a563b378de81f30a9d2eb115569dfe61.jpg

IMG_20170617_203258.thumb.jpg.1de1140fdaaf689e165baf5e4ba3daa9.jpg

Maybe a too late comment.. but I like the barrel and the bag lying next to it. But the bags at the other side of the gate is a bit too much. 

I could be He was hiding in the gate-way behind the barrel, ready to jump out on his prey.

I like the idea of one or two candles on top of the barrel..

amazing looking piece, cant wait to see it come to life!

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments! It is not too late LarsM, since I haven't glued the Bones pieces yet. I even have a larger barrel / crate, but it is quite a bit overpowering and makes his jump less "high". 

I agree he is more attacking than escaping, but the base does not allow me to place a victim. I like the "blue to warm, dark to light" approach... I could also extend the base forward a bit and do a victim on the floor tumbling back, but don't know if I have a mini for that... the idea would be cool however! A Bones figure would be ideal to keep the weight balance of the piece

The escaping approach could work by reversing the OSL idea and making the archway very bright, like the interior of a lit tavern and he leaping out. I could also model strings of coins following his path like he is dropping them on the jump, the knives up would be he using them to punch out something in the way out (like a door or window!).

9 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Maybe he is leaping over a drunk passed out in front of the door?

Now that is something beyond my modelling abilities!! :lol:

39 minutes ago, Darcstaar said:

If he is escaping, I would cut out one dagger and put a sack or pouch or even a severed head in that hand.

With coins falling from a rip?

Damn that is a good idea. 

• Like 4