As typical to form, I managed to get some painting time in finally.  Rather than work on something I've already started, I started something new.  My new project is Magister from the Forgotten Realms Ral Partha Set that I started a while ago.  I can link to my other painted works from this set to give people a feel for my progress over the last couple of years (if anyone is interested).  But for now I began with my usual 1st step in painting the face.  I also base coated the the rest of the skin (the little bit of it there is).  He has been primed and waiting on my desk longer than I thought he would.

Here is how he looks at the moment:

Magister_01.JPG.36472f0376f731c8dd826c488ff1c9da.JPG

• Like 14
6 minutes ago, malefactus said:

What a WONDERFULLY expressive face. The Wizardly Guy is off to an OUTSTANDING start. The potential is there for something extraordinary, Have FUN!

Thanks Mal, the hope is to put a little freehand on the robes.  Nothing fancy, just something to add some visual interest.

• Like 2

Wow, thanks for all the positive comments.

Today is not a not an extensive update.  I managed to base coat the robe, cloak, and hair.  I decided to try a different approach with this figure.  Before starting, I took several photos of the fig with an above only lighting.  This gave me a starting point for highlighting, which I normally just wing it.  Using this photo reference, I then blocked in the base color's (RMS Ultramarine Blue) highlights with RMS Ultramarine Highlight.  I then blocked in the shadows with a mix of the base color and RMS Ultramarine shadow.  Looking at the photo I think I could have gone a bit darker with the shadow blocking color.

Magister_02.JPG.cc39f0833d3b6cd113f277c27a5f337f.JPG

I also did a image search before posting today of this guy.  And the realized that would make a very interesting diorama/base.  I think a little bit more than I wanted to go with this figure.  But, if I should ever acquire a second copy, I will probably give it a try.

• Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      And good evening to all of you of the Reaper persuasion,

So just finished photographing this guy this afternoon.  This is an Earth Elemental, originally from a blister pack of three minis, this guy, the Earth Elementals Lord I painted a few days back and an interesting looking iguana-like Earth Familiar, which is on my docket next.  This was sculpted by Jim Johnson and released somewhere in the nineties.  Fun figure to paint, not a drop of metal, but all sorts of different earth tones.  The only un-earthy tones are the crystals in his spine, which I painted blue.  I wanted to originally paint them green to match the crystal in the Shaman's staff, but I didn't think there would be enough contrast between the grass/moss around the stones.

The little iguana familiar will be next!

Enjoy!
    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here is a model from the early 80s. Ral Partha 02-912, Giant Rat sculpted by Julie Guthrie. I placed it on a 20mm base and painted in with Reaper MSP paint.

• By 72moonglum
      Good morning my Reapertonians!

So recently I've been not only just doing individual figures, but also "sets", figured belonging or previously belonging to blister packs and today is no exception.

I just finished painting a set of Ral Partha Town Guards, sculpted back in the 90's I think by Jim Johnson.  As I go through a lot of my minis, it's impressive of what a large library of work Mr. Johnson has created.   All this and I know virtually nothing about the guy.

Anyhoos, being that these are town guards from the same town, I wanted them to all have a similar color schemes so all their shirts got purple amethyst to start out with and their pants are red.  I did want to make sure they all got unique skin tones however, as not to make them too uniform and boring. After seeing these all close up with the merciless camera lens, I see tons of errors that were impossible to pick up with my naked and bespectacled eye, and even with my nerd goggles, I didn't really see certain issues. But alas, once I get to the point of ending, very small chance that I'll be going back to update.  

As of yet, I haven't put them on bases, but will probably do so in the near future so they don't fall over.  The redhead with the spear is especially a little top-heavy.

Derek had mentioned in a post about a previous lady giant that I needed to make sure I hit my metals with white.  I always do so, but I'm hoping that these pictures can reflect it visually a little bit more.  Tried not to be overly heavy-handed with white but at least make sure it got in there to be properly represented. 

And for the spearman's shield on his back, I really had no idea or inspiration of what to do, so I just painted on some white stripes.  Not at all very exciting, but I couldn't invent anything that exciting.

So there you have them, my last five little mini-babies, enjoy!

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all those in Reaperdom!

So just finished this figure last night and just got him photographed, an Earth Elemental Lord, sculpted by Jim Johnson. Tried to keep him mostly in earth tones because he's an Earth Elemental Lord:

His original blister came with a large earth elemental and a little elemental lizard. Going to be painting those in the near future.

Enjoy!
    • By 72moonglum
      Good evening all you fine Reaper acolytes!

So this evening I've finished another grand old Partha classic, sculpted by the immortal Julie Guthrie, a Sorceress Casting Spell.  As always, couldn't easily choose colors, but this is what I came up with:

The only problem I really had was her other eye, which just couldn't be reached with a brush, so this is with a close up, how it came out:

Sometimes it's just rough getting a brush in such an itty bitty space.  So I did what I could.  Anyway hope you all enjoy!

• Who's Online   11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)