This is one side that shows where the skirt broke off, and there are two more broken bits on the other side. I guess this is part of why sculptors smoosh all their stuff together? And for casting purposes?

I'm happy I sculpted the leg properly before adding clothing, it doesn't look awful this way right now. :lol:

Ignore my purple nails, I was touching up my hair dye and forgot to put my gloves back on while I was washing the tools. >_>

Oh! Does her arm look too skinny to you? It looks fine from the front, but when I turned it to the side it was SO TINY hahaha. I need to get better at always rotating my sculpt while I work. I added more clay to it, but I've been looking at it for so long I can't tell anymore....

IMG_20180824_122243125.thumb.jpg.116173072b5964e2704e453f4aa5f957.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 9

And we're rushing and rushing 'cause we only have a week to make a mini from scratch!

She's got a face now. That took about 3 hours. And then I remembered that she was getting sunglasses so all that work on her (pretty awful) eyes would be hidden. I'd like to make a little curved tool for eyes. I only have straight tools.

That weird indentation on the side of her face under her sunglasses got fixed after this photo. There are many, many things I'd like to fix. I fixed her broken skirts and they are way less cool than the first time around. I'd love to smooth out basically the entire mini. But that takes more time than what I have!

I used a photo of a model from Sudan for my reference, so she's got a rounder face, fuller lips, and a wider nose than is typical on most minis.https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/265667016927477770/483124794884227072/pixlr_20180825230503434.jpg

• Like 13

It's been a long day so I'm just copy/pasting my FB stuff for this post -

There's a reason it's not a close up... I'm speed painting. Tomorrow I'll spend a few minutes on touch ups and basing, and then I'll be dooooone.

I'm kind of torn between entering it or not now. I've used all the energy I can spare this week making her, but there's so much of it I know I could make better if I had the time to redo it. It feels like I'm letting y'all and myself down by entering something so rushed. :<

(In response to another in the FB comments - I only wanted to enter for feedback. It feels silly getting feedback from something I know I've rushed, not smoothed out, and done poorly.)

On the other hand, now I know I can sculpt and paint a mini in 15 hours! If the brain weasels aren't so fierce this coming year like this past one, that's a lot of mini sculpting practice ahead of me.

40231319_690975601278528_3529985254955679744_n.jpg.e4cad29d2a037ccc054dc3de5e4d980a.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Enter her. Whatever feedback you get will be useful and you will probably get something you didn't expect. It would be a shame to put all of that precious time and energy into it and not enter it. I look forward to seeing her in person!

• Like 4

Your plan was to enter her, so I say do it!  If you start second-guessing yourself about whether she is "good enough" to enter then it will be that much harder to enter something next year and the next.  

Don't let those brain weasels tell you she's not good enough, I love her!  :wub: 

• Like 4

Ohhh I didn't post a close up the other day.

My deepest apologies, my lovely painter friends. I'm still a solid color tabletop speed painter until I get some practice time set aside.

IMG_20180827_185940055.thumb.jpg.42ca11a72e2b594bc920679818400d79.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Cool!

When done painting something you sculpted , you should also post it in Show Off.

You will draw more attention and get more feedback that way.

Looks good!

• Like 3

That's super work , and in 15h haha I say congrat ! I am far to pull off such stuff now in that amount of time ( and sculpting human figure all together yet ) :D

No matter how you feel about teh sculpt quality and paint, I think having it finished is a great achievement !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Mori, I missed it, how did this do at the Con?

Silver! Higher than I expected, as I'm certain that a 30 min paintjob landed me squarely at 1/30 painting points haha!

I got what little feedback I could on it, as it's difficult to get critique on something where even I know I didn't do my best. ::):

I found it much more enlightening to politely listen in on other critiques too, since everyone creates art a little differently.

I took a ton of notes this year, so I've got lots of practice ahead of me, unlike last year's slump. I'm really glad that we decided to jump for the con after all, as my heart really needed that friend and art time!

I should start a new thread with my new goals, since this one is over a year old. My table of contents shouldn't get much longer as I'm long past the no multicontent thread thing. :ph34r:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Morihalda
      I had to change the title since apparently "March of the Murlocs" is already a thing in the current game. And I was so proud of the name, too!

My husband loves his gift (the biggest and bestest success!!!) but it would have been great if my painting for my ReaperCon entry wasn't so awful two years in a row.

All the details, rambling love stories, and modding/creation details are in my WIP thread here!

• By Morihalda
      Hi all! Most of the Randomness thread folks noticed that this chatterbox wasn't around much last year. 2018 was spent working on my brain. I think I made a lot of progress so hopefully that means I get to spend more of 2019 working on my art!

My last post from my previous sculpting thread:

As always, I appreciate love and critiques, and I hope that by showing a little bit of the time and effort it takes it pursue sculpting, others will try without getting discouraged by the climb up!

So let's get started! 

Table of Contents:
      - General Rambling Throughout
      - Adaya: One, Two - Completed
      - Kiara: One, Two, Three (also Part 1 of Tierney), Four,
      - Tierney: Two,
      - Antlers: One - Completed
    • By Morihalda
      Hey all! I've been working hard on my husband's surprise birthday present. It was going to be a surprise reveal at ReaperCon, but finances/vacation time mean that it's just me going now. But since I told him about it, that means I get to make a WIP thread! Yay!

I grabbed these really cool "Deep Ones Mutant Fishmen" by RAFM out of the Box of Goodwill a couple years ago. He accidentally saw them so I've had to wait until I was sure he forgot about them, haha. Oops.

When we were teens and couldn't meet up, we spent most nights online together. A lot of that time was spent in WoW. With Classic coming out, I thought it would be the perfect time to get these little guys done! He's always loved murlocs and even built entire decks around them in Hearthstone, so I decided to make them based off of cards I've seen him use the most.

Top: Original minis.
      Bottom: Prepped and repositioned for modding. Arms, fingers, toes, and bases were chopped off. The middle one needed a lot of bending to look natural. One lost his head. They all lost their noses....

I don't have WIP photos because this was a SECRET.
      They all got little spines drilled and sculpted on, buttcapes, little details like crab and tentacle armor. The reading one got a little "nightlight." I painted the Hearthstone cards before sculpting the head so I could actually reach the book. 

(This is a HUGE photo if you right click -> open link in new tab. I couldn't make it wider in the thread.)

I did keep a photo of the angler underpinned head because he looked so happy!! What a cutie! This might be my avatar someday.

The warleader's sword was made with Apoxie Sculpt for the base and Green Stuff details. I accidentally made it too smooth(?!) because I really struggled to get any GS to stick. That meant I couldn't do the multiple layers I wanted.

I also made some terrain on a whim. The little huts are pretty iconic to him so I knew he'd immediately find it in the display area! I drew out the sizes I wanted, cut some baked sticks to size, and doused everything in appropriate amounts of superglue and hotglue. The hut top was made with a ball of foil with Apoxie Sculpt. Once it was mostly cured, I removed the ball and smoothed the inside and outside with more clay. Once it's painted, I'll use long grass to mimic the hay. I still need to add little jars, skulls, lanterns, treasure chest, etc.

Lastly - the cards themselves!
      These card images were pulled from the Hearthstone Wiki and I added some short, awful descriptions.
      Top left: Underbelly Angler. Play a murloc, you get another murloc. He loves this one. This is Booklight!
      Top right: Toxfin. He can destroy most cards in a single hit. He's the one with the stinky fish.
      Bottom left: Warleader. Your other murlocs have bonus attack. Big sword guy!
      Bottom right: Soul of the Murloc. When your murlocs die, they come back with 1 health, 1 attack. He giggles so much when he plays this. It doesn't look unique, but I think I'll use the ghostly scheme on the Warleader. I don't know if I can do that yet!

Tomorrow I'll be making the little bits and bobs. Hopefully I can arrange all the terrain on Thursday, prime Friday, and be painting next week!
    • By Morihalda
      Several friends helpfully pointed out that before I started throwing wild ideas at Ma'al's base, I should probably practice them somewhere else first. That base is on my February list, so I gotta get practicing!

Blightfang:
      - Completely covered giant base.
      - No integrated parts. I chopped 'em off.
      - Water with a "live" edge!
      - The first dragon I owned, blessed upon me by my first Box of Goodwill group, and a perfect fit for a Silversage dragon.

Narthrax:
      - Plain, round, smaller base.
      - Rocks from his original base are staying.
      - Probably no water.
      - He's just plain cool. He's gonna be my Boelen's python!

I used PVA glue to put the cork together, and hot glued everything to the bases. Thank you for your sacrifices, peanut butter and pickle lids!

I fell in love with Paepercut's youtube channel after @Clearman mentioned it in my Ma'al thread. Y'all. That guy is SO COOL. The vast majority of the things I'll be doing here are from his videos. And if I don't think they are, they probably still are because I'm forgetful like that.   Onward!

Actually. Onward in a little bit. I gotta go check out the nearest store and see if they have distilled water for the next steps. Be right back!
    • By Morihalda
      I live! I spent January making lots of little art that piqued my interest to get back into making art frequently again!

I painted a friend's Heroforge mini. It's quite grainy compared to metal minis but goodness, has it gotten so much better. I also have a rough camera adding additional graininess. It's hard to see here, but the vast majority of his robes are in Leather White. Pure White was only used for the extreme highlights, like on the potion bottle. The red also has green in the shadows. I'm learning!

I painted our entire set of the Secret Weapon Tablescapes Dungeons and Mines tiles!
      This was an in progress photo. I realized the moment after I packed everything perfectly back into the boxes that I didn't get a completed photo.

Some finished pieces before repacking them up. Bless this sculptor, y'all. I drybrushed my way through all this while rewatching the Office and everything looks heckin' great because of these amazing textures!

I painted the new Bones Black Owlbear. I had to give it antlers, of course! This was a fun accidental exercise in almost monochrome. It's all purple but I intentionally chose some blue purples and red purples. The darkest color used was Nightshade Purple and the brightest was Snowdrift White. There's more variation in the white but I struggle with this camera phone. I'm really liking how solid it feels but I haven't tried testing it the way they tested the original Bones at conventions. :) 

It also made for a really pretty palette!

Lastly (though it was the first in the timeline), I sewed some velvet bags for our new favorite game, The Quacks of Quedlinburg. I think it helped me get back into my art groove because I got excited about a thing, wanted to make something related to it, and already had the skills for it. I wanted it and I got it!

They're not stellar photos, but a cheap lightbox certainly brought this camera up to mediocre. 

• Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 153 Guests (See full list)