If the armature still looks wrong, it probably is wrong. I can't tell from the photo though.

From my own experience, I can tell you that getting the wire skeleton right is important, and personally I consider making the wire skeleton to be part of the sculpture, not just a frame to hang the bits on. Use callipers (for 28mm I use a math compass) to check the lengths AND the proportions. You might want to bend the arms out of the way for sculpting or add them as separate to the main body.

• Like 2

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Speak_Centurion said:

If the armature still looks wrong, it probably is wrong. I can't tell from the photo though.

From my own experience, I can tell you that getting the wire skeleton right is important, and personally I consider making the wire skeleton to be part of the sculpture, not just a frame to hang the bits on. Use callipers (for 28mm I use a math compass) to check the lengths AND the proportions. You might want to bend the arms out of the way for sculpting or add them as separate to the main body.

Yep, that's why I made it so many times. TT_TT I want calipers! They look fun haha. If I were confident in the pose, I would definitely agree and keep the arms out of the way, but of course I'm trying to be complicated with a twisted torso pose. ::D: 

I'm fairly confident in the actual measurements, I just think the metal is going to be in the way when I add the head. I was trying to be smart and do the head separate....

She's gonna be slightly leaning forward and turning her head. 

5a38aa7c03dca_sorapose.PNG.badbe71caa33caeb73938ed0007247ca.PNG

• Like 2

December 18th.

I couldn't stop messing with it.... But now I'm more satisfied with it. We'll see how I feel about it in the morning.

It's actually kind of fun, everything I move pulls on something else, so it's just a bunch of tiny changes, over and over.

That means the changes are subtle but I think it looks better. Some of the changes:
- pushed left hip down
- widened legs and bent the left leg more, which meant curving the ankle and foot too
- straightened the right leg a bit to make up for the hip change
- curved the spine forward more
- pushed the right arm back and the left arm forward
- shaved off that lump of putty on the shoulders after looking at this photo

1219.thumb.jpg.8948cdcad163fb441c31de15f38f1b7f.jpg

You can see the changes a bit better here:

1219changes.jpg.e1fd6be3853ef01b1bfef5654106a16e.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
date
  • Like 4

December 19th.

Today's progress! I added the ProCreate base early this morning and then started to add in shapes with Beesputty (WAY COOL STUFF) in the afternoon. This is about 3 hours' worth of work. I'm sloooooow. We are slow when we're learning!

I was amused at the shiny booty when covering the wire, so have a photo of the shiny booty, and then 2 photos of actual work.

I'm going to take a wild guess at around 6 hours spent farting around with drawings, references, and gnawing at the armature like a worried dog, so I'm at about 9 hours.

25626194_534547773587979_7260358213031207575_o.thumb.jpg.388deec32555c521c320fad7c4b977bc.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
date
  • Like 8

There's only been little bits of time to work on art, just to not break my streak through the holidays! I've not been happy with how Sora's torso is shaping up, so I'm running back to my other drawing thread to brush up on anatomy.

And I gotta finish painting my rock dragon! ^_^ 

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 5

Goodness, I was gone for much longer than I expected. I've been at such low energy levels the last several weeks, but I think I'm coming back around.

I still haven't broken my daily streak. January was spent learning how to draw faces, and I was going to work on body anatomy in February but I crashed instead. So I'm working on a personal piece for a bit before going back to learning. I gotta be nice to myself.

The start of a 54 mm skeleton. With only half the ribs, heh. It's a bit hard to see, but there's a heart inside the ribcage. I also filled in a lot of the spaces between the ribs on the back so I'll have a structure to put other stuff later.

yestyeraday.thumb.jpg.16c4c84e0f288eb44f2b5c021d7774f8.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Wow, you took that a long way in the last day.  Is that Procreate?

I did one leg on Wednesday and one on Thursday. It is Procreate, which is amazing!! I bought some from Patrick at ReaperCon. I still haven't set up a heat lamp, so the waiting is lame when I want to work on a specific piece.

Because of how my working area is currently set up, my hands are rather close to my lamp. I'm pretty sure it's setting faster than it should be because of this.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

I did one leg on Wednesday and one on Thursday. It is Procreate, which is amazing!! I bought some from Patrick at ReaperCon. I still haven't set up a heat lamp, so the waiting is lame when I want to work on a specific piece.

Because of how my working area is currently set up, my hands are rather close to my lamp. I'm pretty sure it's setting faster than it should be because of this.

That is why I love the LED lights on my Optivisor.  No heat and they give all the light I need.

• Like 5