I'm trying my hand at making a mini-diorama of sorts and need a table suitable for a wizard/librarian.

I found a couple listed on ebay but between the base cost and huge shipping costs, just can't justify laying out $15ish dollars..

So, looking for suggestions.. 

Edited by eldamir
Commercial linkage es no bueno!
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reaper 3186, wizard's workshop has what you want. Also 2554 has a nice gargoyle/demon book stand.  2652 has another small book in a stand. (along with other fun stuff) Don't forget 3291, for the telescope. 

• Like 7

First off, is this wizard's table going to be up against a wall, or is this a sort of centerpiece where it's standing by its lonesome in the middle of a room?

If it's up against a wall, I'd consider:

Reaper Bones #77319: Table and Benches -- This gives you a basic table and bench to go next to it.  $2.99

Reaper Bones #77318: Bookshelf -- Put this right BEHIND the table, and now it's a work desk with a collection of arcane tomes right behind the desk.  $3.29

For something more central (where the wizard might be standing at his work table), perhaps:

Reaper Bones #77139: Altar of Evil.  $2.79  -- the skulls can fairly easily be trimmed off if that doesn't fit the look you want.

The bookshelf might still work with it, but I think the altar's a bit taller than the table, so it might need some boosting up to line up properly.  It might just work better as something to put *elsewhere* in the room to emphasize the "wizard/librarian" role.

As for decorating the table itself, if you want to keep it cheap, there are a number of possibilities:

1) Beads.  A small round bead might make a decent "crystal ball" or perhaps even a globe of the fantasy world.  A faceted one might work as a crystal.  An especially tiny pony bead could serve as an ink pot.  There are also some patterned beads that I see in various materials (plain colors, "chromed," etc.) that I sometimes get in variety packs to use as urns, pots, etc., for dungeon decoration.  (Or, put a bit of "foliage" in it and -- aha!  Potted plant ... and potentially a trap when the plant animates and attacks the adve-- okay, going off course there.  ;) )

7700008.jpg

2) Paper.  Cut out a tiny strip of paper, get a really sharp pencil and doodle some lines of "glyphs" on it (scribbles are fine if they're small enough), put a blotch of color in the upper left corner (an "illuminated capital"), and once that dries, spatter some yellow-brown wash on the edges to "yellow" it, let THAT dry, then curl the edges a bit around a pin, and glue it down on the table and -- voila!  A scroll.  Repeat as needed to have several scrolls.  Or get two tiny pieces of thin cardboard for book covers and make yourself a "magic tome" to place on the table.

3) Random bits.  A dagger.  A staff perched leaning against the table.  A scale.  Some unidentifiable doohickey that's really just an interesting piece of plastic sprue, or a leftover piece chopped off of a sci-fi weapon while doing a figure conversion, but now painted brass and brown so it's suitably fantasy-steampunk-ish.  Some conical bit that, painted blue and with a few stars on it, could pass for a spare wizard's hat resting on the table.  Etc.  If the table isn't interesting enough by itself, bits of clutter sometimes help.  ;)  It all depends on what you actually have on hand, of course.

• Like 5

Thanks for all the suggestions! Definitely a few ideas that I hadn't considered.  I just ordered " 03186: Wizard's Workshop "  and am going to use the boy with books and little table in the below setting.

Once the boy and table are painted, I'll tackle trying to create a tile floor with greenstuff on the 3" base below.

594825541a2cf_2017-06-1914_24_30.thumb.jpg.654719193ea0b002787f24bcaee6f35d.jpg

It's going to be a gift for my wife (K-3 teacher) when she starts her new job in the fall - so skulls, imps, etc. are pretty much out :D

• Like 5
7 hours ago, eldamir said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! Definitely a few ideas that I hadn't considered.  I just ordered " 03186: Wizard's Workshop "  and am going to use the boy with books and little table in the below setting.

Once the boy and table are painted, I'll tackle trying to create a tile floor with greenstuff on the 3" base below.

594825541a2cf_2017-06-1914_24_30.thumb.jpg.654719193ea0b002787f24bcaee6f35d.jpg

It's going to be a gift for my wife (K-3 teacher) when she starts her new job in the fall - so skulls, imps, etc. are pretty much out :D

The skulls and imps version is for the end of the school year.:poke:

• Like 6

I just wanted to add, thanks for the ebay link, even with the slightly higher then usual shipping costs I did find some items I was needing. ::):

Your bookcase/books look great!

Thou, that being said, you might wanna axe the ebay link as it's a commercial link, & those aren't allowed on here per Reaper forum rules.

Also, have you tried Happy Seppuku base pads?  http://www.happyseppuku.com/texturestamps.html

They have a wide variety of patterns but this one might be what you need:

(Tile 1/4" Square)

Detail-pic-square-tile.jpg

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, haldir said:

I just wanted to add, thanks for the ebay link, even with the slightly higher then usual shipping costs I did find some items I was needing. ::):

Your bookcase/books look great!

Thou, that being said, you might wanna axe the ebay link as it's a commercial link, & those aren't allowed on here per Reaper forum rules.

Also, have you tried Happy Seppuku base pads?  http://www.happyseppuku.com/texturestamps.html

Ebay link removed - I had a huge shopping cart going for a while, before the budget was remembered :)

And now, off to look at that link!

A little late to the conversation but I ran across:

Ristul's Basing Kit Runic Tables & Altars Pack MINT

on ebay - not sure direct link is allowed but these look like fantastic wizard tables for pretty cheap - I may snap up one myself....

• Like 1

The 03186 pack came in the mail today, so here's a mock-up of the final scene.

594edcc999083_02835-JolieFemaleScribeWIPwithShelfTableApprenticeandBase.thumb.jpg.d3ca4c70db4826cac4341f8fb6facd8b.jpg

Have since primed the table and boy in white and stuck them to a pair of pill bottles for painting.

I am really liking this little table.. although it has a dagger and rat on it (both of which, are not so thematic).. Thinking that perhaps the rat can become Herman the Hamster along the way.  Oh, and the underpinnings of the table have leering skulls in them (which is pretty cool, but again, not really thematic), so probably a good thing no one should be looking *under* the table when it's all done :)

Edited by eldamir
fixing link number
  • Like 4

And she's finished .. thanks to all the input :)

As you can probably see, I had some problems with the base for the kid - trying to thin his base out, I actually snapped his foot off and had to re-attach it.

Also not completely satisfied with the cover-up I did on what is left of his base.. 

595967846743e_02835-JolieFemaleScribewithShelfandBase5.thumb.jpg.84d81c14d542724302d0005138cdda86.jpg

And once again, I apologize for the horrible camera lighting - one of these days, I'll get a 'real' camera and build a lightbox.

5959678a3f34b_02835-JolieFemaleScribewithShelfandBase2.thumb.jpg.d451b1d3257840021d73147f02bdb1f5.jpg

Edited by eldamir
i are a good typer
  • Like 10