Quick Medieval/Fantasy Garment Question

Chris Palmer

Just a quick question; what is the correct name for the ribbon like hanging that loops through the ring on this Bones 3 figure's back and then forward through the rings on each shoulder?  Are they based on an historical equivalent or are they just fantasy adornments?

fullsizeoutput_1ed2.jpeg

• Like 3

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

It seems quite similar to a clerical stole. (Image searches using that term should help.)

44 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I've never seen it depicted in historical sources.  I think GW used to have ribbons like this on some figs, and I have seen it in fantasy art and LARP costumes. 

Doug and Inarah-

Thanks for answers!  It seems then that it is just fantasy shorthand to distinguish a plain old knight from a paladin. I wondered about the historicalness of it becuase it seems like, other than ceremonial dress, it would be a real hindrance in hand to hand combat. 

So I will take my painting cue from the actual historical clerical ones.

• Like 5

In the real world, you try to avoid things that can be grabbed in combat....

For fantasy... I can see those as a weird way to change out enchantments on the armor - with each stola having a separate enchantment. (Strangely MMORPGish thinking on my part....)

The Auld Grump - stolette?

• Like 2

Well, Ethiopian warriors wore something very like a stole into combat.  

The Ras with the rifle is wearing one here:

Abysinnian.jpg.45c95b8959eba328689b95de2f19a2bd.jpg

Sometimes people forget that the ratio of morale to physical is three to one.  Showing off your status is a big part of morale.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

In the real world, you try to avoid things that can be grabbed in combat....

I was thinking those big rings looked like a good place to get your enemy's weapon fouled up on your armor. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

I was thinking those big rings looked like a good place to get your enemy's weapon fouled up on your armor. 

More likely, you'll be grabbed by them, and end up on the end of his misericorde.

Looks cool, but it will get you dead.

An exception would be ceremonial armor - this is what he wears when appearing before his church - or armor for wearing as general of the church's forces - and not intending to get into actual combat himself.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2