Alternative to Rogue Stars

Rob Dean

1 hour ago, Mehman said:

I fear you've opened Pandora's Box with this question. Welcome to the jungle.

• You can port any Sci-Fi setting into it with minimal effort.
  • You like space battles? Space battles.
  • As with all Two Hour Wargames' titles, you can merge any of their titles' rules together, creating the game you want to play.
  • Once you learn the core mechanics, you can play any of their games.
  • You have complete freedom to do whatever you want to do.

I bought the first version of 5150 and had a hard time following exactly how the game was played and the organization of the book didn't seem to help.  Has this gotten better in later versions?

• Like 2

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

I bought the first version of 5150 and had a hard time following exactly how the game was played and the organization of the book didn't seem to help.  Has this gotten better in later versions?

I'd say the books are laid out better now than previous editions. There's so much freedom in what you can do with the rulesets that organization can be difficult in the best of times. Looking at, for example, THW's All Things Zombie series, the layout has improved tremendously from the first edition to the latest - Final Fade Out. Rules were added, trimmed down, or removed entirely as the main ruleset evolved.

I think it also has to do with familiarity. The organization of their titles make perfect sense to me now but when I first looked at Chain Reaction (THW's free ruleset which is a full game in itself), I'll admit that I was a bit lost. Dumbfounded, actually. Everything clicked after I studied it for a bit and ran through the exercises presented in the new format.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mehman said:

I'd say the books are laid out better now than previous editions. There's so much freedom in what you can do with the rulesets that organization can be difficult in the best of times. Looking at, for example, THW's All Things Zombie series, the layout has improved tremendously from the first edition to the latest - Final Fade Out. Rules were added, trimmed down, or removed entirely as the main ruleset evolved.

I think it also has to do with familiarity. The organization of their titles make perfect sense to me now but when I first looked at Chain Reaction (THW's free ruleset which is a full game in itself), I'll admit that I was a bit lost. Dumbfounded, actually. Everything clicked after I studied it for a bit and ran through the exercises presented in the new format.

So would you recommended Chain Reaction as a good starting point to check out the mechanics?

• Like 2