Randomness XII: Eighteen! Purple! Squirrels!

39 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Welp, looks like I get to go sit in a jury pool tomorrow.

I know a few ways to get yourself disqualified from the jury selection process, one of which is often a sure thing...

• Like 6

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Hair pictures! Can't figure out how to do a spoiler on mobile. I remembered I can just edit on my computer. It's basically shaved in the back but I couldn't get a clear picture of it.

ETA: It is in no way styled and I plan on dying it today or tomorrow.

Hide contents

1499730788151663682332.thumb.jpg.d88d3a790e79d7caacc614a022f2f3b1.jpg

1499730817473870955691.thumb.jpg.2e2d1321df2bcff67f5913eb2f1be1bf.jpg

Oh, it's cute!

1 minute ago, Unruly said:

I know a few ways to get yourself disqualified from the jury selection process, one of which is often a sure thing...

No, thanks. It's my civic duty. I'm dressing neutral-tidy and bringing a great big book to read.

• Like 12

'Ouch,  aaargggh, gah! Vicious little buzzing bastards!'

Is what I thought as I was stung four times on my face and neck this evening by my honey bees. 

I made a stupid decision and carried out an inspection in my old suit which has a broken neck seal, through which a number of my bees decided to join me in the suit. An alarming experience for bees and beekeeper. 

In other news, I finally started watching The Walking Dead, about 10 years after everyone else.

• Like 13

13 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Hubby and I are trying to decide if we want to take the leap into home ownership (gulp) or remain renters. It seems daunting. Very daunting. Like, super duper daunting. No one in my family has ever bought a house.

But I've been researching it and I'm thinking we might want to wait a bit. Our credit could use more polishing, and our savings some more building up. 

Might have to curtail funtime purchases for a while :mellow:

As a home owner I look at it this way;

How will mortgage payments compare to rent?

Are any utilities included in the rent? What would the increase be?

Are housing prices increasing or decreasing where you are? This is a tough one because while a house is an asset if the market goes down they can be a big detriment if you can't sell when you want.

Is it short term or long term? I'm something of a cheap skate and very settled in my thinking and habits. I tend not to buy things unless I'm ready to use it to the max. Other people I know skip around from place to place and have no trouble with swapping houses every so often.

Houses tend to decrease in value over time. Don't expect your shiny new purchase to increase in value or even hold steady. Plan for depreciation.

Having your own house it great. You can customise it how you want it, more space and it's yours. But that also means you're responsible for everything and sometimes that gets expensive and time consuming.

In my town there aren't many apartments but a lot of people rent houses. I pay a bit more on my mortgage than some friends do for rent. I have a way nicer house and if I want I can sell it and get my money back. If they move they get nothing. I have to pay for any repairs but it gets done quicker and to my satisfaction. Their repairs are generally free but get done whenever the owner feels like it or not at all. Here I can't see why you wouldn't want to own unless you plan on moving in a short time. But that's just my opinions and experience. Other places and people don't work out the same as here.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

No need to apologize - I generally post about my ragey moments so that y'all can laugh with me... Sometimes my complaints are ridiculous and I'm well aware of it, but if I don't vent, then I become a raging ball of stabby hate...

Next time someone's in your space, just scream hysterically at the top of your lungs, then come charging out of your office and grab one of them, screaming,"Run! RUN! It's coming! IT'S COMING!!! It's almost here - I'll hold it off while you RUN!!!!" and then hurl them down the corridor in the opposite direction of where you want to go.

7 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Still have successfully avoided the returning work chick. Even if I finally run into her next week, I'm going to act like I had no idea she was here. Am I a terrible person? I think I'm a terrible person. Oh well. :bday:

Just continue to act as though she's still gone. If she says anything, just slowly turn to look at her like she's a ghost and say, in a somewhat dreamy voice, "You went away. You're gone, so you're not really here... Once they leave, they're gone, and they never come back..." and then just drift past her while staring off into the distance...

5 hours ago, TGP said:

The best named rest stop is Boondocks. 

I have been there more than once. It is a real place. (...and it is of course, in the boondocks, in the middle of nowhere).

The Middle of Nowhere Diner is a passably nice little greasy spoon in Rhode Island...

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Welp, looks like I get to go sit in a jury pool tomorrow.

Bring a rubber duck and flip-flops... Then ask, "Wait... It's not that kind of pool?"

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 13

So I was kinda planning to hobby some hobbying tonight.

That plan didn't really work out.

Because last night, about ten minutes after I should have been in bed asleep but was still working on a conversion, I very nearly modified my right index finger with a brand-new, first-time-the-cap-was-off Testors hobby knife.

The cut is towards the middle finger side of the fingernail, and runs alongside the edge of the fingernail from about the halfway point out onto the tip of the finger, about halfway around the circumference of the tip...

I probably should have gone and gotten it stitched/taped up last night but it was already late so I just wrapped it up and went to bed. It seems to have closed up well anyway.

Of course, then I got to work today and my boss was out so I was the only guy in the shipping department. But it was thankfully a slow day.

In the past sixteen hours or so I've gotten amazingly proficient at typing and using a mouse without my index finger.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

What's stopping you?

1)  Initial cost outlay.

2)  No room available. We have five people in the house, two are kids, and two bathrooms. Ex won't use my mom's bathroom. The other bathroom that most of us use has zero shelf space.

3)  Disability. Can't stand for long periods of time and a chair won't fit in the bathroom.

This house was not chosen with a darkroom in mind.

• Like 1

@Mad Jack Sympathy like. I've done similar to what you described, only it was my thumb, and at work (I was working at Subway at the time). They keep the bread-cutting knives sharp. It went right through my thumbnail like it was nothing. :zombie: Somewhere I got the idea to glue a fake nail on over my real nail to protect the injury, and it actually worked astonishingly well as a sort of bandage.

3 hours ago, David Brawley said:

NUCLEAR KRILL is proud to announce their second studio album:

Can't Krill Me Now!

Okay, I REALLY want this to be a thing now. I'll bet the lyrics to some of these 'songs' would be just hilarious. Especially if NUCLEAR KRILL plays it totally straight while singing seriously about how 'you krilled me with your love' and 'it's a kriller night'. :lol: 

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

I really want next week to be over so that I get my stupid sleep consult in and can actually schedule the study so that maybe I can figure out why half the time I feel like I don't get any sleep despite sleeping for an average of 9-10 hours every day...

I really hope your consultation and study give you some answers, and hopefully a little robot buddy who will help you breathe better at night, and will never threaten to stab you, or speak.

2 hours ago, Beagle said:

An alarming experience for bees and beekeeper. 

You have bees? That's super cool! :D

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 14

Uncle update for those who are following.

Spoiler

He has an infection around the graft that they did in October. I was misinformed that they did surgery again. He's currently on a cocktail of IV antibiotics. They want to switch him over to an oral and see if that works. They are going to draw some of the fluid where it is infected and do some tests to see if they can figure out what's going on further. If the oral antibiotic doesn't work he'll have to have an IV for about 2 weeks at home. It looks like he should be home later this week.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Beagle said:

'Ouch,  aaargggh, gah! Vicious little buzzing bastards!'

Is what I thought as I was stung four times on my face and neck this evening by my honey bees. 

I made a stupid decision and carried out an inspection in my old suit which has a broken neck seal, through which a number of my bees decided to join me in the suit. An alarming experience for bees and beekeeper. 

Weird. Granted, I've only handled honey bees a few times when my cousin had a couple hives, but they were the most docile insects I ever saw. No beekeeper's suit, no smoke, we'd just walk right up, open the lid, pull a frame, and then gently brush the bees away without any stinging. They wouldn't even take flight for more than a few seconds unless they were just coming in or leaving.

British honey bees must be more angry than American honey bees...

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Uncle update for those who are following.

[insert medical info here]

I hope your uncle recovers. I hope the tests reveal an organism susceptible to a well-tolerated antibiotic. And I hope the patch job from the previous surgery remains intact through all of this.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Beagle said:

In other news, I finally started watching The Walking Dead, about 10 years after everyone else.

I only started watching it a year or two ago myself, now my niece and her parents have recently started watching and enjoying it.

If you do end up liking it, I'd recommend giving Mantics "The Walking Dead" game a look.

Its based on the comics not the tv show, so there are differences.

I think it's Mantics best rule set yet. Some of their best minis too.

Might even say it's the bees knees.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 9

52 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

"But I thought you LIKED to paint miniatures."

"I like to cook, too, but that doesn't mean I feel like catering your wedding reception."

I've got a friend that's a musician, and that's essentially a more kind version of what he tells people who ask him to play a gig with "exposure" being the payment. It's even better if he knows the person is a tradesman of some sort, because he'll turn it around and ask for them to ply their trade for him in exchange for "exposure." They get really mad at that one.

• Like 17