Randomness XII: Eighteen! Purple! Squirrels!

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I'd be afraid the exposure offer was a sting and I'd get tackled by the rozzers before my trenchcoat even hit the floor.

We all know how practiced you are at exposing yourself, gobbo. You'd have that trenchcoat on the floor before anyone even knew exactly what was happening.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, Unruly said:

We all know how practiced you are at exposing yourself, gobbo. You'd have that trenchcoat on the floor before anyone even knew exactly what was happening.

Subtle and quick, that's my trick.  Also liberally smearing myself with butter so I'm hard to get hold of.  "The more you tighten your grip, the more I will squish bonelessly through you fingers!"  

• Like 13

See, this is why I posted the house thing here. Y'all understand, and offer up your experience. If you crazy folks can do the most adultiest of adult things, I'm sure I can. 

Hubby and I talked about it more today, and we've decided to move to a new apartment first, then work on the house thing. If the management at our complex wasn't turning into major elfs, we'd just stay put and save the money, but that woman straight up told my husband that they wouldn't be fixing anything in our apartment until we moved out. Yet another illegal thing to fall out of her idiot mouth.

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, Unruly said:

Weird. Granted, I've only handled honey bees a few times when my cousin had a couple hives, but they were the most docile insects I ever saw. No beekeeper's suit, no smoke, we'd just walk right up, open the lid, pull a frame, and then gently brush the bees away without any stinging. They wouldn't even take flight for more than a few seconds unless they were just coming in or leaving.

British honey bees must be more angry than American honey bees...

I've seen clips on Youtube of people doing similar, I would never do it. My girls can be completely sedate one day and then very aggressive the next.

The temperament of the workers is usually dictated by the queen and re-queening is something that occurs in aggressive hives, but I've never seen bees so docile that suit-free handling or inspections is advised. When a bee stings you it releases a pheromone signalling the other bees to attack, this is manageable in a keepers suit (although even the best ones are not impervious to stings), but if you're in shirt and shorts you could be in for a nasty surprise, or even killed.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/apr/28/christopher-weaver-bees-sting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2634130/Beekeeper-multiple-sclerosis-dies-stung-40-times-backyard.html

People die every year because they get too relaxed around 'their' bee and start treating them like pets

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

"But I thought you LIKED to paint miniatures."

"I like to cook, too, but that doesn't mean I feel like catering your wedding reception."

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

I've got a friend that's a musician, and that's essentially a more kind version of what he tells people who ask him to play a gig with "exposure" being the payment. It's even better if he knows the person is a tradesman of some sort, because he'll turn it around and ask for them to ply their trade for him in exchange for "exposure." They get really mad at that one.

I think all artists get hit with this at some point. I sure have, and the illustration community is full of horror stories.

There's a saying in the visual arts community: "People die from exposure."

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, Beagle said:

I've seen clips on Youtube of people doing similar, I would never do it. My girls can be completely sedate one day and then very aggressive the next.

The temperament of the workers is usually dictated by the queen and re-queening is something that occurs in aggressive hives, but I've never seen bees so docile that suit-free handling or inspections is advised. When a bee stings you it releases a pheromone signalling the other bees to attack, this is manageable in a keepers suit (although even the best ones are not impervious to stings), but if you're in shirt and shorts you could be in for a nasty surprise, or even killed.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/apr/28/christopher-weaver-bees-sting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2634130/Beekeeper-multiple-sclerosis-dies-stung-40-times-backyard.html

People die every year because they get too relaxed around 'their' bee and start treating them like pets

Oh, I know it's dangerous and there's always the chance, but it's just been my experience that it's never happened. Heck, at my grandparents' house there was an abandoned house on part of their property where the entire southern exterior wall got turned into a giant honey bee hive for about a decade, and even when we started tearing the place down the bees didn't get all that riled up. That was actually the colony(or colonies since we're talking a 20x30 wall full of them) that mothered all of the swarms my cousin caught, and I was sad to see it have to go. But the building was falling in on itself and had become a safety hazard, so after it swarmed one spring they tore it down...

Never could have eaten any of that honey though. Those walls were full of asbestos and all sorts of other wonderful goodness from 1940's construction...

• Like 10

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

See, this is why I posted the house thing here. Y'all understand, and offer up your experience. If you crazy folks can do the most adultiest of adult things, I'm sure I can. 

Hubby and I talked about it more today, and we've decided to move to a new apartment first, then work on the house thing. If the management at our complex wasn't turning into major elfs, we'd just stay put and save the money, but that woman straight up told my husband that they wouldn't be fixing anything in our apartment until we moved out. Yet another illegal thing to fall out of her idiot mouth.

Wow, what an elf-smurfer. I certainly hope that karma catches up with her and gives her the whupping she deserves.

Also, I'd like to thank the great state of New Jersey for being so welcoming. You've even gone ahead and jacked the temperatures up into the low-mid 90s for me this week. That's awesome, you know how I love warm temperatures.

:grr:

:zombie:

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Also, I'd like to thank the great state of New Jersey for being so welcoming. You've even gone ahead and jacked the temperatures up into the low-mid 90s for me this week. That's awesome, you know how I love warm temperatures.

If you do not like the temperature, you need only adjust the state's master thermostat. It is located at the end of the tourist trap of elemental evil, and salt water taffy stand. 

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I feel you... Sweaty, sticky, and gross. 

Hell, I want a shower after just getting to work.

10 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

If you do not like the temperature, you need only adjust the state's master thermostat. It is located at the end of the tourist trap of elemental evil, and salt water taffy stand. 

You know, that sounds like a worthy quest. Chris Christy is the final boss, isn't he?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

Oh, I know it's dangerous and there's always the chance, but it's just been my experience that it's never happened. Heck, at my grandparents' house there was an abandoned house on part of their property where the entire southern exterior wall got turned into a giant honey bee hive for about a decade, and even when we started tearing the place down the bees didn't get all that riled up. That was actually the colony(or colonies since we're talking a 20x30 wall full of them) that mothered all of the swarms my cousin caught, and I was sad to see it have to go. But the building was falling in on itself and had become a safety hazard, so after it swarmed one spring they tore it down...

Never could have eaten any of that honey though. Those walls were full of asbestos and all sorts of other wonderful goodness from 1940's construction...

In that case I need to get some US bees, they sound awesome

• Like 9