Randomness XII: Eighteen! Purple! Squirrels!

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

For the purposes of a fake band tour, I am going to call this a feature, and not a bug.

Fair enough, but a stop at Stanislaus State University in the Turkey Capital of the World has a certain I don't know what it is*.

* "je ne sais quois"

5 minutes ago, DakkauserKaptinBadrukk said:

You realize, I hope, that pointing to a website for evidence in a sub-thread about fake websites might not be the most convincing of possible evidence. :B):

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Fair enough, but a stop at Stanislaus State University in the Turkey Capital of the World has a certain I don't know what it is*.

so, are we going to stop in Ryleh, Atlantis, Bikini atoll and Krakatoa? 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

I... uh... don't really want to tighten my grip. You can go about your business. I'll stay back here, thanks.

I'm glad you're able to perform your civic duty, and fulfill your jury obligations.

I still hope it doesn't take 1001 nights. :wacko:

There's no way a trial could last... Hold on...

*checks Google*

:wacko::blink:

I also hope the trial doesn't take 1,001 nights!!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Unruly said:

I've got a friend that's a musician, and that's essentially a more kind version of what he tells people who ask him to play a gig with "exposure" being the payment. It's even better if he knows the person is a tradesman of some sort, because he'll turn it around and ask for them to ply their trade for him in exchange for "exposure." They get really mad at that one.

I don't mind if you want me to paint your WH40K army. I approve of painted armies.
I don't mind if you don't want to pay or compensate me to paint them. If that's the case, I will paint whatever figures interest me, within my own time frame. This time frame may equal "now" or "never," and I may not be interested in ANY of the figures.
I don't mind if you want to haggle. I can negotiate. Doesn't HAVE to be cash.
I don't mind if you wish to negotiate compensation, and the negotiations break down. No harm, no foul. Your time isn't cheap. Neither is mine.

What I do mind is --
*you become upset at the very idea of compensating me for many hours of labor. 
*you become upset at the amount of compensation I ask. You CAN say no at any time, you know.
*you demand that I lower the price, angrily or loudly. Does this work for you in grocery stores or your electric bill?
*you become upset at the time frame. What, you want a 5000 point army ready by the weekend? I do require sleep every few days, don't you?

It amazes me that I somehow consistently encounter people who seem to think that because I like to paint minis, I will cheerfully put my life on hold for however long it takes to do a job for THEM... for free. And then become upset because they were mistaken, as if I'm some sort of public service or utility.

I have therefore developed a list of comparative similes to assist the thinking impaired.

"I like to cook, too, but I don't want to cater your wedding reception."
"You enjoy gardening? Good. Come over tomorrow and mow my lawn. Front and back. For free. Bring your own lawnmower. Is the comparison appropriate?"
"I enjoy travel, too, but I'm not going to buy your plane tickets."
"I like to have sex, too, but I notice you have not yet removed your clothes."

I will admit, I tend to save that last one for when it's clear the person isn't going to see reason. It's sent at least one guy from "angry" to "apprehensive and edging towards the door."

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 17

7 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

It amazes me that I somehow consistently encounter people who seem to think that because I like to paint minis, I will cheerfully put my life on hold for however long it takes to do a job for THEM... for free. And then become upset because they were mistaken, as if I'm some sort of public service or utility.

have you ever seen the twitter account "forexposure_txt"

it is just an amazingly infuriating collection of these folks

• Like 8

Before today, I would not have spent time searching for existing krill-based t-shirt designs on Google.

Before today, I would not have expected to find quite so many.

Apparently, Krill oil is a thing.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, klarg1 said:

Before today, I would not have spent time searching for existing krill-based t-shirt designs on Google.

Before today, I would not have expected to find quite so many.

Apparently, Krill oil is a thing.

but why would you want to oil a krill?

• Like 8