Dr_Automaton

77450 Invisible Wizard

My first transparent mini:

594afed1f2af5_77450InvisibleWizard1.thumb.JPG.62d2800afe3dff54df2a89476a5415d6.JPG

594afed27d2a6_77450InvisibleWizard3.thumb.JPG.9bf4f2d45bdd637bf0b3711486db08cf.JPG

I wanted to try painting one of the new invisible heroes from Bones III the other day.  This is super simple paint job where I first painted the base, then masked it with a solid coat of Brown Liner for opacity.  After that, I quickly painted the wizard with a single coat of a mixture of:

• 3 drops RMS Gloss Sealer
  • 2 drops RMS Flow Improver
  • 1 drop RMS Wash Medium
  • 1 drop Liquitex Phthalo Blue

After waiting a day (I was worried the ink might leach out of the sealer or something if I tried to work with it too soon), I painted the exterior of the base with Rainy Gray, followed by a coat of Brown Liner magic wash.  To finish, I sealed the entire figure with a coat of Gloss Sealer, followed by a second coat of Gloss on the wizard and a coat of Brush-on Sealer on the base.

The result was a very blue, almost candy-like mini.  I'm happy with the result, but I'm thinking of pushing back the ink next time by at least half to get a lighter tint.  The wash went on pretty well, but I might also try increasing the viscosity just a bit by upping the ratio of Gloss Sealer.

Overall, a fun and easy paint job.

• Like 16

I'd eat that.

(I actually really like that tone of blue and the effect you achieved on him--though I think the tint may give the lie to his invisibility.)

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TheOldGuard
      Greetings!

I recently bought some Greenstuffworld colourshift paints & eagerly wanting to try them out, I searched through my (huge) Bones backlog for a suitably metallic mini. I grabbed the fantastically ominious Iron Golem from the Bones 4 Stoneskull Expansion & got to work.

The blue areas are the colourshift paint, all the other areas are standard paints.

I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's not as easy to see the effect on these pics as it is with your own eyes but you can make it out. There's no shading or highlighting on these areas apart from some silver to pick out the rivets & sharp edges on the arm plates.

Thanks for looking!

• By Evilhalfling

Thief : Blue Ink base + black ink to show details  (least happy) 
      Cleric : angelic ghost or spiritual weapon spell.  Yellow ink + TMM 
      Ranger: painted by minispawn.  ill take it. Makes a great ghost 
      Wizard: nulin Oil + higlights of green ink  (fav) 
      Fighter: I only painted the base. (represents an invisible PC pretty well.) 

I should talk to @Doug Sundseth about this again, since he is teaching a class on it, probably today.  Not sure im happy with the set. 

• By Ludo
      Per Izzy,
      If you picked up either of the Art Books in the Bones III and IV kick-starters and would like to get them autographed, be sure to bring them with you to ReaperCon. Izzy will be signing them when time allows. 
    • By BananeDC
      Hop, here we go !

Succubi (nude) :
      https://postimg.cc/DmM9ZxJP

• By Doug Sundseth
      There has been some discussion about Bones translucent figures recently, so I thought I would show off a few pieces that I finished recently. The first ones are invisible adventurers from Bones 3 (I bought two sets):

Wizard 1:

Wizard 2:

Rogue:

Primed with airbrushed acrylic gloss medium. Mostly painted with Badger Ghost Tints. Some more intense details with Sharpie (use isopropyl alcohol if you need to remove the ink). Faces defined a bit with opaque Reaper skin tones.
  • Who's Online   22 Members, 0 Anonymous, 89 Guests (See full list)