Sign in to follow this  
MelmothWanders

Anirion, Wood Elf Wizard

My Reaper Learn to Paint kit just finally arrived after one set getting lost in the mail and the other taking its time. Last night I decided to end a stressful day by painting.

Very pleased with how Anirion came out, would still like to refine my photo taking. The light tent I threw together is helping, but the natural highlights and shadows are still obscuring some detail. I think part of my problem is that I need to reconfigure the backdrop so that I can place the mini deeper into the tent.

Anirion1s.jpg

Anirion2s.jpg

• Like 19

Better than me I just use the kitchen stove. lol.  Nice job on the fig. For the lighting have you thought of maybe trying a fill flash?  Ie. and external flash pointed away from your subject?

• Like 1

Currently you're lighting almost entirely from left and right (you can tell from the shadows). For general-purpose portraits (which includes most miniatures photography), you want your light to mostly come from the front.

If, instead of putting lights to either side of a lightbox, you were to put lights to either side of the camera (about 45° to either side of the line from mini to camera), your shadows would be less of a problem. For a longer discussion, you can see this thread:

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ooook
      A small group of Goblins to use as opponents in Sellsword & Spellslingers or any other game. 

(clic on the picture to see more on my blog)

• By Citrine
      This is the Reaper Bones Dire Bear (SKU 77494).  This was another test of contrast paint, this time over a base of skin color.  I think it turned out pretty good, and it was fast, which is always a plus when trying to conquer the mini mountain.

• By elfonamouse
      Working on the Stone Giant. I'm looking for any constructive criticism but especially of the highlighting on the flesh. Not sure if I am finished or if it needs more highlights on the flesh. Everything else just is base colors and has not been worked on other than that.  He came missing the the left hand and club. 

• By Dae
      I recently finished Anirion! It was time to add layering to my toolbox of techniques and he seems to be the go-to model for learning.

Since by I now have (just) over 10 minis under my belt, I'm obviously an expert  so I felt confident enough to go with my own colors rather than the ones in the instructions (from Layer-Up kit). Still, even with my "vast experience", I've only painted beasts and monsters so far -- no fancy clothing on any of them -- so I was a bit nervous about messing up my first hero, but you gotta start somewhere. 

I think he turned out great, but it went nothing like the videos one might find... And by that I mean it took me several painting sessions over a few weeks to finish him.

More on how it went on: pocketsizedadventurers.wordpress.com/2019/10/19/anirions-wavy-robes/  *

* First post, woo-hoo! Still finding my way around here. Rules seem to allow non-commercial external links, let me know if I'm wrong... Our blog, Pocket-Sized Adventurers, features the works of two newbies and is meant to keep track of our progress and share our experience with whomever might find it helpful.
    • By lazarp
      I liked painting this figure, did it for a friend from my d&d party. He's using it as his half-elf druid. We are both happy with it overall 
      Hope you like it too! 

I also tried fiddling with lighting and a background for the first time so if you have any tips on what I could have done better with the photos please share :)
      Thanks for looking!
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 1 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)