• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put together 7 of them. I like the sculpts. Some small pieces but nothing too bad.    They come with metal bases but I based them on 30mm rounds. 

I took some quick ones for you. I got three of the 28mm metals. They are decent quality, my only complaint is that to me the facial features are not well defined and so they look off.    

The video really is pretty danged stupid - and likely to cost them customers, at least from those that actually watch the videos on Kickstarter. (I am one of those people.)   Not a matter of

Posted Images

Good grief that campaign video..... The sculpts are nice 'though.

On 2017-6-24 at 6:22 PM, BLZeebub said:

But now there's one thing I can't get out of my head:  African "corP."  It hurts us...

How about Albi - on. Seriously? Is Albion really such a foreign name in faraway parts these days? Clearly a parody video (and that's fine) but some of the pronunciations set my teeth on edge a bit. I just grinned, chuckled, and presumed they were intentional.

• Like 2

My experience is that a lot of people don't read, don't hear uncommon words/names pronounced, and are generally unaware of many things outside their experience. That leads a lot of people in professions that require certain skills - like voice acting- to not pronounce things well. It's weird, because it seems like it should be something that people are trained for. It's one reason I prefer British audiobook readers over American ones.

6 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Good grief that campaign video..... The sculpts are nice 'though.

How about Albi - on. Seriously? Is Albion really such a foreign name in faraway parts these days? Clearly a parody video (and that's fine) but some of the pronunciations set my teeth on edge a bit. I just grinned, chuckled, and presumed they were intentional.

The video doesn't really suggest intentional parody to me, more like different values and lack of awareness, and possibly related to cultural differences. Definitely not intentionally offensive. Maybe the creators are getting grief elsewhere and can learn from it.  I mean that one orc kickstarter was rightly ridiculed for top-heavy proportions in the sculpts. I don't understand why criticism here is causing upset. That said nobody, including me, explained what was so objectionable about the video. So... I'm not going to re-watch the video to explain it clearly at this point.

I don't have an issue with pinups, though I much prefer Hasslefree to these. I see this as the same situation when a friend tells a racist/ sexist/other ist joke. I don't just laugh along and say nothing. It's easy enough to tell good jokes/ make and sell good minis without all that other stuff. I know some people find that a pain because it requires more effort, but hey, lots of good things require effort.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

I don't understand why criticism here is causing upset.

I think it's the way some of the criticism here and in the KS comments is presented. Someone wrote he was throwing up after seeing the video, in the KS comments there are people claiming this kind of content would drive women away from miniatures or their wives would take away their hobby budget if they were to see those (you know, than maybe don't pledge for pin ups, or have a conversation with your wife). 

Comments like those make it seem like this campaign is the most sexist thing ever, so I was prepared to feel offended by that video. But to me it was more a low budget parody thing. 

And the sculpts themselves are imho on the funny/cute side of pin up.

Personally, I'm way more annoyed about overly sexualized minis intented for game play, like with Babe style Orcs you mentioned. 

One thing to keep in mind with those tiny new companies and their kickstarters is that they don't have a super polished marketing plan or maybe even a dedicated social media/marketing person. So things might not always come off the way they hoped for (and I'm sure it's even harder if you're from a different culture than the US). 

So I always try to believe in good intentions and maybe careless excecution.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Nunae said:

I think it's the way some of the criticism here and in the KS comments is presented. Someone wrote he was throwing up after seeing the video, in the KS comments there are people claiming this kind of content would drive women away from miniatures or their wives would take away their hobby budget if they were to see those (you know, than maybe don't pledge for pin ups, or have a conversation with your wife). 

Comments like those make it seem like this campaign is the most sexist thing ever, so I was prepared to feel offended by that video. But to me it was more a low budget parody thing. 

And the sculpts themselves are imho on the funny/cute side of pin up.

Personally, I'm way more annoyed about overly sexualized minis intented for game play, like with Babe style Orcs you mentioned. 

One thing to keep in mind with those tiny new companies and their kickstarters is that they don't have a super polished marketing plan or maybe even a dedicated social media/marketing person. So things might not always come off the way they hoped for (and I'm sure it's even harder if you're from a different culture than the US). 

So I always try to believe in good intentions and maybe careless excecution.

I don't have a problem with these sculpts, I just like them less than Hasslefree ones. Also generally, there's more of a diversity of body shape with Hasslefree, that doesn't show up in a lot of companies. I expect that less in pinups, tbh, but it's also nice when it's there. I also prefer the bombshell minis to these, but that's just personal preference.

I think the video is absolutely sexist, and I think it's totally reasonable to expect some people to be so turned off to not buy that.because of how they react, or how people they care about would react. I think the video is more objectionable than, say, those orc sculpts, because it's less obvious how it's offensive.

Anyway, I'm not saying "don't buy this, " but I am saying "I wouldn't buy this, because this." If it turns out that's wrong, because of bad execution./research/ whatever, then I might reconsider for sculpts I really like, but those aren't these. People should get criticism for their mistakes, but mistakes can do lots of damage. People have to make up their own minds about how to balance what they like but also have problems with. I also don't think someone is a bad/worse person because they like these sculpts and want the minis, though it does seem like that is how my (and some other) comments have been taken.

I think good intentions and careless execution still deserves calling out. Bad execution (ie research) in one aspect of a business (say marketing, or knowing your potential audience) should call into question whether there's bad research elsewhere (budgeting, staffing, time, etc.) but also for its own sake. I mean, look at comics?

Anyway, I'm probably not going to post again to not derail it for people who want to more closely discuss the kickstarter. I think the point has been made that some people really have problems with the video.

• Like 1

In the comments section of the Kickstarter the project owner points out that the artist who created the character concepts is female, and one of the two people who came up with the video is a different female.

3 hours ago, Beagle said:

In the comments section of the Kickstarter the project owner points out that the artist who created the character concepts is female, and one of the two people who came up with the video is a different female.

That actually explains a lot. 

8 hours ago, lexomatic said:

My experience is that a lot of people don't read, don't hear uncommon words/names pronounced, and are generally unaware of many things outside their experience. That leads a lot of people in professions that require certain skills - like voice acting- to not pronounce things well. It's weird, because it seems like it should be something that people are trained for. It's one reason I prefer British audiobook readers over American ones.

You know the BBC used to have a pronunciation department. What happened to it? They've really let standards slip these last 15-20 years.

As someone who's done voice acting in the past you've just reminded me that I need to record some more lines for a project that's chugging along slowly and not being held back by my lines at all at this point :P. I'm two thirds of the way through the third act so, unless I get delivered a whole new script for an upcoming fourth act my work on this particular project is nearly done :).

• Like 1

OK, y'all finally talked me into watching the video.  I personally took it as very tongue in cheek, though such can obviously still come across badly.  Some kind of ridiculous The Dating Game is what came to mind, though I will admit it's not a show that I watched much of (or the Bachelor or anything of that genre really).

As to the level of sexist insult...

I put it at about the average for modern reality TV culture.  What? Reality TV is bad for you.  Don't watch it.

Fully back on topic, there are a few sculpts that I like the look of but most don't interest me.  Maybe I'll pledge for a couple but I'm just as likely to take a pass.

• Like 1

Sculpt wise - if the figures match the digital art - the figures are much, much better than the wild orc KS from a bit back - which had incredibly bad sculpts.

There are a few that I rather like - but then you have the one carrying a banner while her trous drops.

95ccbb6b4914719c3ce3851df0e7e9d7_origina

But the Hussar, and the Centurion... actually useful miniatures.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

This funded. The creators comments have been very positive. Despite the awkward (at best) video. Also there was a brief situation where a couple backers thought "stretch goal' means free stuff only. But they are still backers and now seem to understand that a project of this size does not make it possible to fund 10 figures and then give everything else unlocked away for free.... :)

Having said that a free goal has been announced.

3 stretch goals have been revealed. $12,500 (unlocked), $15,000 (almost unlocked) and $17,500. If we get the $17,500 goal then everyone who pledges for the 12 girl level gets her (Janina) for free, or you can of course choose her as one of your selections at a lower level or purchase her separately.

Bonnie.png

Rosie.png

Janina.png

Not a fan of Bonnie, but I like Rosie and Janina may be my favorite so far.

• Like 1