[SPLIT] Limited Edition Paints 096xx

12 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I wouldn't expect them to be available all the time. 

A lot of the painters and players are geeks, and having a complete collection of something is kind of our thing. 

Making certain paints only available during special occasions or for those that do something special(such as shop during a specific period) or even as raffle prices(Twitch giveaways) is a major incentive for getting us to participate. 

Except that many areas cannot afford purchasing "special occasion" paints at that time due to weather, and that's why some of us have campaigned so hard to have them available during summer so we can order them without worry of having half the batch show up frozen... Something Ron himself acknowledged would be neat, but seems to have completely forgotten. 

Sure, December holiday paint sets are nice, but if that's the only time they're available it's pointless for most of Canada to order such if they're only shipped USPS (overnight air as an option could work, with less risk, but it's still a risk compared to shipping them in the summer). Same problem with stuff in late October or February, most paints start arriving too thick or as an interpretation of cottage cheese... 

Sure, I could order and fall back on the customer support, but last time I had paint freeze I was offered to have it resent (at my own risk, if it froze again, it wouldn't be replaced) or get a credit for the bottle... Which really messes up the whole "I like that limited edition paint so I'll buy it" thing. 

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

I am happy with seasonally limited paints MUCH more than truly limited. Gets the boost in participation with chances for those who missed out to try later.

Yeah. Seasonally limiting paints works a lot better for all, because then you can order them during a set timeframe, know about them, and actually work towards acquiring them.

• Like 4
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My solution to the freezing paint issue has been to order large enough packages that they won't fit in my mailbox(which is another issue; I have the largest one available...) and the package will therefore be delivered to the nearest post office and I get a collection notice. 

The paints are most at risk for freezing on the final leg of the journey. 

Or at least it was...    

If the USPS continues to use shipping containers across the Atlantic when winter comes, then I'm afraid I will have to abstain from buying paints in the winter, too. 

Maybe there are reshippers out there that can store the paint orders for a few months before sending them on... for a fee... 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

My solution to the freezing paint issue has been to order large enough packages that they won't fit in my mailbox(which is another issue; I have the largest one available...) and the package will therefore be delivered to the nearest post office and I get a collection notice. 

The paints are most at risk for freezing on the final leg of the journey. 

Or at least it was...    

If the USPS continues to use shipping containers across the Atlantic when winter comes, then I'm afraid I will have to abstain from buying paints in the winter, too. 

Maybe there are reshippers out there that can store the paint orders for a few months before sending them on... for a fee... 

For many, if it doesn't fit in a mailbox, the default delivery method is to just drop it in front of the door, which is its own problem depending of your local environment. Be it weather or risk of theft. There are delivery options depending on the carrier, but it can be a hassle.

Regarding seasonal vs truly limited paints, from experience I know how easy it is to miss promotion for any number of reasons. But knowing it can come again at a later time is somewhat comforting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It sounded like the re-released limited edition colors are going to be put into the store, at least for a while.  There were so many people asking questions in the twitch stream last night it was hard to get an answer, but I got the impression these were going to have regular store SKUs after the con.   After the swag bag pre-order period they said paint sets will be made available on the Reaper store site.  Sadie has also hinted at having a long list of paints to work on this year, so I am guessing fall and winter colors making a comeback, too. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

While such is true for some parts of the journey I'm more worried about the time it's in an unheated trailer, as Canadian winters are known for being cold, and a lot of companies use the fibreglass (or whatever it is) topped trailers here which aren't known for their insulating properties (they're stupidly hot to work in during the summer, typically upwards of 10C above ambient) and in the winter they're just as cold as it is outside. 

I make use of FlexDelivery and even with that I've always had something freeze during winter deliveries - even fall ones, where it was close to the freezing point. 

Now add in that CanadaPost is literally having some trailers sit for 1-4 weeks before being touched, even for domestic packages, and we have a problem that's amplified even more.  I've had packages that would usually only take one or two business days (BC to Alberta) take three weeks to get here.  Packages that take 3-4 business days from Ontario to Alberta are taking 2-3 weeks minimum.  Paint in that scenario, even with only -5C is more than likely going to be frozen on arrival due to the length of exposure to the cold. 

• Like 1
  • Members

USPS 'Easypost' is the death of paints in the winter.. because it arrives somewhere on Friday and often doesn't move all weekend, which likely means sitting in a non temperature controlled trailer for 2 days.. of course, this will require Ohio to have cold temps again.. but it does happen

• Thanks 1
  • Artists
On 6/25/2020 at 1:29 PM, starwarsgeek said:

Damn,  I have all of those "Special Edition" colors except Desert Sky and Rattlesnake Leather... but there are a bunch I'm still missing (shameless plug - see my signature lol) that I would love to see brought back for an event like this.

Just double checking if you were aware that some of the paints in your sig are available in other of the ReaperCon swag packs. The Swag Box is going to have Powderburn Brown and Clouded Sea. (And Pirate Gold.) The Hobby Box will have Drow Nipple Pink. (And Rose Gold and Sophie Silver.)

It sounds as if everything from the boxes will go up for sale on the Reaper main store during or after ReaperCon if you don't want the other items in those boxes. Though it is possible they'll go up in packs of the three paints and not each one individually, they've been sold that way at previous cons. Individual is also possible, I'm not sure it's been announced at this point.

• Like 2

I'm on the fence.  I don't have Cactus Flower, Rich Green, or Frontier Blue, so I am going to buy it.  But it's also disappointing that Powderburn Brown, Pirate Gold, Clouded Sea are in this set since they were just in the ReaperCon boxes.  It would have been nice to have something other that Rose Gold and Drow Nipple Pink too.

I hoping they are sold as singles because I don't really need another pistol case either.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

I think Pumpkin orange was also in Ghoulie bags from 16, 17 and 18? maybe.. 

I will have to do some digging.

This is the fourth year I've gotten the Ghoulie Bag, and I don't have it--but I can't guarantee they were consecutive years.

• Members

Ok, so doing some searching it was in 2014 and 2015 Ghoulie bags: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/62960-pumpkin-orange/&do=findComment&comment=1177864 https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64606-halloween-promotion/&do=findComment&comment=1255898

Further search indicates Spectral White and Fresh Blood in 2016-2018/9 Ghoulie bags

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1