Sign in to follow this  
Rob Dean

Vintage Fantasy--travel kit

I'm traveling this week, so I have a few figures and a travel paint kit with me. The ca1974 Minifigs Mythical Earth Rider of Rohan and Gandalf were well along when I started last night, but the 1981 Broadsword ranger-bard was just in primer. I have a captain to go with him along, and a handful of archers at home,

which will eventually form a little Dragon Rampant unit. 

IMG_2221.thumb.JPG.b79b1631991e9056c9ecfea6af309c3f.JPG

IMG_2222.thumb.JPG.62d87b853bd1534d4440be81491e5c12.JPG

• Like 13

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rob Dean
      The last of 72 painstaking acquired  1974 vintage Minifig goblins have finally been finished.  This batch of a dozen went very quickly as the third batch of them I’ve done this month.  I have ambitions to play some D&D as we played in in 1976, but with more and better miniatures, so I based this last crew individually for flexibility.  I am tempted to do a grumpy old man routine about how you young people don’t appreciate how good you have things in sculpting and miniatures choice these days, but I won’t.  I suspect that everyone does appreciate it.   Nevertheless, like clanking away on my manual typewrite is fun, it’s been interesting to see what I could do with these guys, a process made much easier by the use of modern tools such as acrylic paint and a wet palette.  

• By Rob Dean
      After yesterday's work on the Bones 4 scenics, I dug around and finished off the first of a set of resin buildings I got from an Apocalypse Miniatures Kickstarter a year or two back:

I also finished basing up a seriously vintage (ca. 1974) Minifig Ent:

And, finally touched up basing and finished off my Gencon speed paints:

From left to right, a Word preliminary round figures, a Reaper preliminary round, a Wyrd final round, and a Reaper final round. (So, 45 minutes on the preliminaries and 60 minutes on the finals...I added names to the two preliminaries; retitled the Word final, and attached the Reaper final to a Frostgrave-themed snow and rock base.)

• By Rob Dean
      Finally varnished these guys today...as noted last weekend, they amount to a packet of Broadsword P11 and P12 each, and were acquired in a couple of different eBay purchases. 

Since they had some fun and interesting figures back in the day (~1980) and I didn’t have any of them, I conclude that none of my local hobby shops carried the line.

• By Rob Dean
      My significant other is in a songing competition this weekend, and I’m along for moral support. 

Knowing that I would have some quiet time, I brought my travel paint kit and some miniatures. On the left are five Broadsword rangers, and on the right three Minifigs true orcs. The orcs are part of my Mythical Earth warbands project, but the Broadsword figures are a one-off.

I didn’t have any Broadsword back in the day. Apparently none of the hobby shops I visited stocked them. My first encounter with them was in larger eBay lots while fishing for other old figures. I ended up with four of these archers in a large lot early in my eBay history, and then went looking for the command/personality pack later.

I painted the swordsman/captain and the ranger-bard last summer.

Now that they are almost all done, I hope to get them out as a unit of scouts in a Dragon Rampant game soon. 
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)