Valejo Metalics

I've all but given up on using Valejo Metalics because they seem flakey to me. I like their luster but I get much better blending even out of Folk Art metalics. The knight I have posted in the Show off section is painted with Folk Art metalics mostly because of this. I did use some Valejo metalics on his dagger but that's only because I finished painting it up at my FLGS and forgot to bring my Folk Art metalics. I really like the Valejo line of paints but can't seem to get the hang of their metalics. Has this been a problem for anyone else?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put down the Vallejo metallics. They are probably the worst metallics I have ever worked with. The size of the "flakes" when you brush is on is so out of whack/scale with what you are doing. I've had that problem with both the Game Color and the Model Color.

In the case of the Mangler Warjack, I actually used Reaper metallics. The Pewter was a bit off, but otherwise I like them a lot. So, if I have to use metallics, it's either GW (BLEH!) or Reaper.

Guess I will be going with Reaper.

If I have to airbrush metallics. Well, there is always Tamiya. Though I'd love to try Alclad sometime while both brushing and airbrushing for silver. I hear it rocks!!!

I personally prefer GW's metallics for gaming figures...

I tried one of Reaper's golds on a figure, but wasn't impressed. Maybe their "white" metals ar better...

Once upon a time Polly Scale did some metallics. These were, IIRC, pretty AWESOME. Sadly they are OOP. However, they were "alcohol" based paints. Maybe trying the Valejo eqivalent would be the same...?

Damon.

I have to agree on vallejo metallics.. I have a bottle of Game Color shining gold, and it just isn't up to spec with GW's metallics (I have some reaper metallics, but have yet to try them. Is "True Silver" basically the same as "Mithril Silver", I wonder?).

The vallejo gold actually coats really well over bright colors, but doesn't have the luster that it does over black.... over black however, it seems to get chunky, and the large flakes are much more noticeable...

I'm sticking with GW's metallics, atleast until I try out the reaper ones...

I tried to use Reaper Silver for some details on my russian tanker, but for some reason it didn't look quite right, even though I used a black undercoat. It was shiny, but also fake looking. I think I'll stick to GW's for the time being.

I've had good luck with the Alcohol based Vallejo's but they are very hard to clean the brushes.

the other issue with them is Price. With as little of the Metallic that I use a giant bottle for 5 plus dollars is a expensive option for paints.

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

Dallas Texas

I don't really do many "New" metal projects, I always seem to end up aging/rusting the metallic parts on minis.

I use the GW Metallics by preference, because mixed with a few non-metallics (dark brown, black, white, cream, etc.), and highlighted like regular paint, aided by some Matte Varnish looks very nice on a model.

Below on the shield is an example of what I mean. I used black and Tin Bitz for the basecoat of the middle part of the shield, and highlighted up to Burnished Gold. I then applied a thin green glaze.