A song of Ice and Fire - July

SamuraiJack

"I could use some fantasy mooks" was my thought before pledging.  I haven't read the books (maybe I should?) and I don't really watch TV so I'm not invested in the game itself.  The sculpts look reasonable and I'm sure I could use them.  I like the unique minis as well (although I haven't compared them to the metal minis from DSM yet).

I am also aware that all of this could simply be the proto-Figmentius in me talking so I may back out later.

• Like 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you should read the books. The show is excellent, but the books have a lot more detail. The DSM original GoT figures are based off the books before the show even became a thing - it is pretty cool seeing how the author imagined them and how it compares to the actors. Some are spot on. Others quite different. 

Cmon kickstarter. Cmon prices. They really know how to gouge their audience. It's interesting that they claim to be doing this one with Dark Sword miniatures. Why? Well because Dark Sword don't do digital sculpts. They're quite proud of showing off their greens and work in progress photos. Everything they do screams traditional physical sculpture. Conversely Cmon have jumped on the digital sculpting bandwagon. Now there's nothing wrong with that. It's their decision. But almost all the sculpts we're seeing here are 3d renders..... which Dark Sword don't do. So how exactly are they involved? I mean, I know that Dark Sword have the rights to produce the official Song of Ice & Fire miniature range (most of which was sculpted before the tv series went into production and, many of which, were used as the basis of character costumes during the first 2 seasons).

So either this is Dark Sword's first foray into 3d sculpting or they're just on board to lend the project the air of legitimacy that it deserves (especially as they've collaborated with Cmon heavily in the past).

£100 for a "starter set" is pretty hefty 'though. They'll have probably thrown in loads of extra content by the end of the project and a load of expensive add ons but it's way out of my budget this month or the next (even if some of the figures look really nice).

Maybe they are doing the concept art? More likely though they are just the license holder for minis, so CMON is paying them for the right to use the license.

The set is expensive but... still comes out to about $1.30 per mini currently (at 114 minis for $150). Expensive certainly, but still a good deal comparatively. The main thing going against it for me is Bones 4 next week. Though if I can swing both, then maybe.

Though I cant really go in for many (if any) add-ons for this either way...  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

Maybe they are doing the concept art? More likely though they are just the license holder for minis, so CMON is paying them for the right to use the license.

The set is expensive but... still comes out to about $1.30 per mini currently (at 114 minis for $150). Expensive certainly, but still a good deal comparatively. The main thing going against it for me is Bones 4 next week. Though if I can swing both, then maybe.

Though I cant really go in for many (if any) add-ons for this either way...  

Oh don't get me wrong. It's good value for money. I just don't have the money right now. That's all.

• Like 1

A bit more than a year ago this would have been a no-brainer. But after the arrival of Bones III (and Black Plague and Conan and Sword & Sorcery and ....) and with the imminent arrival of Massive Darkness, it actually is an easy pass at the moment. I do no longer need miniatures at $1 per mini ... I want variety, diversity ... 10 times almost the same sculpt of a human warrior in armor with a sword and a shield just does not cut it for me any longer.

I only hope Bones IV grabs me ... otherwise I should start worrying as I also did not spend more than a dollar on Green Horde (until now).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Cmon kickstarter. Cmon prices. They really know how to gouge their audience. It's interesting that they claim to be doing this one with Dark Sword miniatures. Why? Well because Dark Sword don't do digital sculpts. They're quite proud of showing off their greens and work in progress photos. Everything they do screams traditional physical sculpture. Conversely Cmon have jumped on the digital sculpting bandwagon. Now there's nothing wrong with that. It's their decision. But almost all the sculpts we're seeing here are 3d renders..... which Dark Sword don't do. So how exactly are they involved? I mean, I know that Dark Sword have the rights to produce the official Song of Ice & Fire miniature range (most of which was sculpted before the tv series went into production and, many of which, were used as the basis of character costumes during the first 2 seasons).

So either this is Dark Sword's first foray into 3d sculpting or they're just on board to lend the project the air of legitimacy that it deserves (especially as they've collaborated with Cmon heavily in the past).

£100 for a "starter set" is pretty hefty 'though. They'll have probably thrown in loads of extra content by the end of the project and a load of expensive add ons but it's way out of my budget this month or the next (even if some of the figures look really nice).

It says right in the first paragraph that the minis are being designed by CMON with input and supervision from Dark Sword and Martin. The way I read it CMON is doing all the 3d sculpting, but both Dark Sword and Martin have to sign off on the finish sculpts.

• Like 1

Nice stuff.  But I'll never play the game.  And Dark Sword already has put MANY excellent Game of Throne figures in my house to paint.  Perhaps if it had some level of figures only, no duplicates, I might back it.  But easy to make my will save here.

• Like 1

I'm part of the Dollar Watch for now, but I'm really scrabbling hard to stay on this fence.  I understand why they went the way they did, but the choice of armies for the starter just don't excite me.  I'd love some desert warriors.  I have very few steppes riders.  You know what I don't need more of?  Sword and board dressed in mail.

• Like 2

Hitting a Dothraki expansion mid to late campaign would bring a lot of people in... and isn't necessarily out of the question... except if the fighting is all supposed to be in Westeros.  Unless they plan to add a campaign in Essos or something... who knows... 

7 hours ago, Dan d'Lyon said:

The only way they are likely to get me is if there is an irresistible crossover model or set.

So a Westeros Twilight Knight? Probably wouldn't happen but we can entertain the thought. Actually knowing Cmon they'd probably try to shove Candy & Cola in there despite it being completely inappropriate for Westeros.

• Like 1