Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I felt like a slightly less involved project after Vlad, so I decided to paint Elliwyn Heatherlark.
I swapped her weapon with a gladius from the Agema Romans and also decided to give her a more interesting item than the small shield she originally carried.
As it happened it got again more involved, as I sculpted a Nure-onna, basically a snake with a human head, that she defeated in battle.
Worked out well with the pose and provided me with the opportunity to experiment with gore effects.
C&c very welcome. You also find the WIP thread here: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/89770-elliwyn-heatherlark-gnome-bard-77164/
By Geoff Davis
In an unusual turn of events, I ended up painting the same miniature three times this week. First one was for a customer who wanted the bard from Dark Sword Miniatures but without the pipe in his hand. So it was replaced with a glowing musical note. Red armour, blue clothes, yellow cloak. While I was working on it, a different customer wanted the same bard but just a quick paint job for a sidekick NPC in his D&D game. Of course, no pipe for the second bard either. Brown armour, green cloak. I think I spent more time on the base than painting him. While I was working on the second one, the first customer decided he didn't like the colour scheme and could I change a couple of things. No problem, I'm happy to do it. But there is OSL and all kinds of other stuff, so it was actually much easier just to start again from scratch. So I painted him a third time. Red cloak, grey clothes.
On Wednesdays I’ve been playing in Storm King’s Thunder at my FLGS, and since I have lots of minis, I’ve basically been providing the minis for the game, including for my fellow players. However, in spite of how expansive my collection is, I don’t always have a perfect match… sometimes not even close to a good match.
This was the case for the party’s human warlock and bard. For the warlock, I was using an elven bladesinger, and the bard was a female elven bard, both from the Chainmail line. It was not a good fit for the rogue-like warlock, and my utter and total lack of male bards of any type was frankly astonishing.
The monk was okay (also from the chainmail line), but as an asamar, the skin was wrong, and the colors of everything else was off too.
So with my most recent order I selected some new minis.
14544: Ian, Ivy Crown Mage for the warlock
02500: Fergus the Weaver for the bard
After washing them and taking care of a bit of flash and moldlines (very minor in both cases) I mixed up some greenstuff and pressed out new bases to match the bases I’ve made for the rest of the party’s minis from the Ruined Courtyard stamp from Happy Seppuku. Once the greenstuff was cured I spray primed them black, and then got to painting.
I’m still blocking in colors, and checking with my fellow players to make sure they match what they picture in their minds. I used Tanned Flesh for the warlock and and bard’s skin, and NMM Gold for the monk’s skin. Beyond that I’m not really sure what to do for the monk… Waiting on feedback.
For the warlock, I’m painting the tunic in blue, and I’m thinking about trying to give the impression of raven’s feathers for the mantle. The yellow accents will give a nice contrast to the otherwise black/blue/purple colors that’ll make up his pallet.
The bard I’m less clear on how to paint him up. So far I’m going with a bright red tunic with some yellow/gold trim. We’ll see what feedback I get from the player going forward.
More to come!
Who's Online 16 Members, 3 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)