Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

EPICS: Interlocking City System Terrain

By "way above" you mean Geek Chic WAAAAAAY above!  Holy Cow!  

That portcullis and other things are awesome though... 

*** Looks at miniature horde ***

*** Looks at wooden sticks and scraps ***

"What?!? You'll be fine... "

I may be in a minority here, but I think I would prefer a Miniature friendly staircase to one that's realistically proportioned. By which I mean no staircases that are .5 inches per step and so no mini will stand on the stairs. just bloody give me 1" steps and i'm not going to quibble if it's not visually as accurate as a smaller step would be. Because at 28-32mm scale (1/58) a real step (nominally 7" tall step-up to step-up and 11" of stepping pace) is a mere .12 inches (about 1/8 inch, roughly) high, and .189 (about 1/5 an inch) worth of stepping area, so the silly half inch step up and half inch platform is ALREADY not remotely "in scale". If you're already violating the scale principle, then at least make it functional. 

/rant

On 6/29/2017 at 9:03 AM, Reaperbryan said:

I may be in a minority here, but I think I would prefer a Miniature friendly staircase to one that's realistically proportioned. By which I mean no staircases that are .5 inches per step and so no mini will stand on the stairs. just bloody give me 1" steps and i'm not going to quibble if it's not visually as accurate as a smaller step would be. Because at 28-32mm scale (1/58) a real step (nominally 7" tall step-up to step-up and 11" of stepping pace) is a mere .12 inches (about 1/8 inch, roughly) high, and .189 (about 1/5 an inch) worth of stepping area, so the silly half inch step up and half inch platform is ALREADY not remotely "in scale". If you're already violating the scale principle, then at least make it functional. 

/rant

When I use Dwarven Forge pieces that involve stairways, I have a little trick. I set aside a couple of the 1" square short-stair pieces. When someone needs to stop movement on the stairs, I flip the extra stair piece upside down, place it in the right spot on the stairs and stand the mini on the base of the flipped piece. Sure elevation is off, but at least placement on the map is right.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RouterMike said:

When I use Dwarven Forge pieces that involve stairways, I have a little trick. I set aside a couple of the 1" square short-stair pieces. When someone needs to stop movement on the stairs, I flip the extra stair piece upside down, place it in the right spot on the stairs and stand the mini on the base of the flipped piece. Sure elevation is off, but at least placement on the map is right.

Though I never tried it, this is also what popped into my mind when I thought about it.

A 1" stair case flipped over. Even a 2" larger one for bigger baddies that would take four 1" squares.

The issues I really have with basic\common terrain items like this is you can buy a 3d printer and print out something the size of this in like a month for a lot less.  And then, from there on out, you have the printer and don't have to buy that again.  I'm comparing this to the Duke which is a full castle for $750 usd (roughly).  Good 3d printer is $300, about $50 for the plans (more if you want a more complex castle) and probably $40-$50 in plastic.  If all you care about is dwarven forge sized pieces you can cut the printer cost in half.

It only makes sense to but one of the large, expensive pledges, if you love the look of it (which it is very nice, but very low detail even for MDF) or something that would be awkward to print size or modularity size.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:57 AM, Cranky Dog said:

Though I never tried it, this is also what popped into my mind when I thought about it.

A 1" stair case flipped over. Even a 2" larger one for bigger baddies that would take four 1" squares.

I do the same.  Works really well.

Edited by MonkeySloth

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BLZeebub
      This is something I started working on a looong time ago.  I finally made the push to get it done and get it out--probably donating it to one of the FLGSs.  WIP  here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/87566-ruined-building-terrain-pic-heavy-ish/
      I wasn't trying to get too, too fancy with this.  Rather I began with the intent to see how quickly I could make a good enough piece of terrain.  Had I not taken a year-long hiatus from it I may have succeeded, as I think that barring drying times I have around.
      You can see a Bones skele or to lurking around for scale.  I was having a challenging time with my camera and the lighting (room is kind of in disarray at the moment), so I have a few different exposures here.
      Had a lot of fun with the fiddly bits like the graffiti, wire conduit, and dead plants.
      In the fist and second pics you can even see one of my new backgrounds in the...background--too bad I made it for a standard mini, not a large building.
      Questions, comments, critiques welcome!

• By Nightwing
      A craft store near me was going out of business, and I found the rock molding kit from Scene O Rama for $1. There was enough plaster to make  2 molds of each rock. I painted them as instructed with the provided paints, glued them to balsa squares and rectangles, added some dirt and the talus. Some bushes added for color and interest. I wouldn’t use balsa wood for this again. The washes and thinned down glues caused the balsa to curl. 

I figured id use them as difficult terrain indicators in our D&D games.  I’m thinking about running the old timey Isle of Dread adventure for my group, maybe these will come in handy. 

• By ultrasquid
      I didn't see this listed so:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/archonstudio/dungeonsandlasers-plastic-tabletop-rpg-scenery

I received an engineering sample of the product today. They're made of hard gray injection-molded plastic, my guess would be ABS from its hardness and density. The floor and wall ties fit together tightly, though it takes a bit of effort that likely would wear at paint on those surfaces had they been painted. Due to response from earlier sample recipients, the production tiles will be slightly larger than the samples.

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyric/second-wave-more-90mm-miniatures-from-mcc?ref=discovery_category_newest

About
      Iyaxill & Gutmeg Pack Konohana e Otogi Pack Hello and welcome to our second Kickstarter ! As many of you already know our first try have failed, but we promised our friends that we will be back, so here we are, with the old 2 models and 2 brand new ones!
      Full Offer Why we are on Kickstarter ? All of the models shown already modeled and test printed, ready to go into production. We need your help for the final phase: molding, mastering, and casting runs are expensive. It would take us a lot of time to raise the funds to put  these models into production over time and we ask for funds to make all models printed and packed. We want to put these models into your hands  as soon as possible, and Kickstarter can make that possible.
       We are a group of friends from Italy, avid players of Wargames, Role  Playing Games and miniatures painting and collecting. I personally have a  miniature collection started in 1985 with thousands of pieces; maybe we  can say that we played more or less every game with miniatures of the  last 30 years… Now we want to create the miniatures we waited uselessly  for years that someone else can produce. We have had our miniatures  sculpted by some of the best artist of the world, and we will print them  on the best services on the market. We strive to give you the best of  the best service available.
      Iyaxill, Orc Champion Iyaxill, Orc Champion The Orcs are a nomadic people, and can be found nearly in all lands of Valenor (it is said that some Orcs live even in the oceans!). Iyaxill, like many Orcs, is a follower of Gharuk, the God of Fire. But his faith is so strong that he has become a Choosen of Gharuk, a priest of sort but a powerful user of fire magic.
      Casting Master Few enemies can stand before a giant Orc in full tribal armour and wielding fire as his weapon. When a Choosen of Gharuk call a tribe to war, thousands of Orcs reply to his call, hundreds of Firestone slinger pelt the enemy line with explosive stones, giant fire elementals walk at the side of priests of Gharuk trampling anything that stands before them...
      Gutmeg: Goblin Rifleman Gutmeg: Goblin Rifleman A Goblin is smaller and weaker than all other races of Valenor, and in a world where slavery is practiced the Goblin race suffered more than any other. Goblin can be vicious fighter, that use any tricks and any means to beat an enemy, but usually they get beaten back and defeated.
      When the first firearms appeared on the market, for the Goblin was an item sent from the gods. With a firearm a Goblin is the same as any other race, the Great Equalizer. Some Goblins take this to the extreme and create a real cult of Gunpowder.
      The Gunpowder Cult is a group of fanatics that revere their weapons and live only to tally how many they kills. (All non-cult creatures are fair target) some of them get the "Flamebearer" rank, like Gutmeg, to show their total dedition to the cult. Losing their weapon is the worst offense a Gunpowder Cult member can do, even if they acquire a new weapon, the old one must be handed down to a new member of the cult. To this end the Flamebeares hold their firepowder reserve stocked under a constant flame the carry on their back. When a Flamebearer fear to be defeted, he opens the flame conduit to reach the gunpowder storage, immulating himself as a living bomb.
      For our second year models we want to change our creation process, so instead of historical research and lore history we started from scratch. We put a lot of ideas on paper, burned them and start again a couple of time until we have a number of original stories and character ideas, then we contacted the great Aitor Holgado  a really talented artist to develop our ideas. He got us a lot of great miniatures ideas, and we choose two: Iyaxill & Gutmeg.
      We then give the design of Gutmeg to Alessandro Depaoli our great 3D artist, and Iyaxill to a young but talented sculptor: Ocampo Lopez Julio Cesar from Argentina !
    • By BLZeebub
      This is just something that's been on the SoS for an embarrassing amount of time.  Finally making the effort to finish it up and move on.  Materials are corrugated cardboard on a base of stiff cardboard/MDF.  Rebar from paperclips.  Rocks, gravel, and sand, and a straw for the pipe.  Spray primed with black, wet brushed with gray hobby paint.  Next will be some highlights and a wash, some vegetation, and done.  Reaper Bones skelie for skale!  Pardon the rigged light box--lots of other house projects have my hobby room crammed with crap at the moment.

• Who's Online   49 Members, 2 Anonymous, 173 Guests (See full list)