Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

EPICS: Interlocking City System Terrain

By "way above" you mean Geek Chic WAAAAAAY above!  Holy Cow!  

That portcullis and other things are awesome though... 

*** Looks at miniature horde ***

*** Looks at wooden sticks and scraps ***

"What?!? You'll be fine... "

I may be in a minority here, but I think I would prefer a Miniature friendly staircase to one that's realistically proportioned. By which I mean no staircases that are .5 inches per step and so no mini will stand on the stairs. just bloody give me 1" steps and i'm not going to quibble if it's not visually as accurate as a smaller step would be. Because at 28-32mm scale (1/58) a real step (nominally 7" tall step-up to step-up and 11" of stepping pace) is a mere .12 inches (about 1/8 inch, roughly) high, and .189 (about 1/5 an inch) worth of stepping area, so the silly half inch step up and half inch platform is ALREADY not remotely "in scale". If you're already violating the scale principle, then at least make it functional. 

/rant

On 6/29/2017 at 9:03 AM, Reaperbryan said:

I may be in a minority here, but I think I would prefer a Miniature friendly staircase to one that's realistically proportioned. By which I mean no staircases that are .5 inches per step and so no mini will stand on the stairs. just bloody give me 1" steps and i'm not going to quibble if it's not visually as accurate as a smaller step would be. Because at 28-32mm scale (1/58) a real step (nominally 7" tall step-up to step-up and 11" of stepping pace) is a mere .12 inches (about 1/8 inch, roughly) high, and .189 (about 1/5 an inch) worth of stepping area, so the silly half inch step up and half inch platform is ALREADY not remotely "in scale". If you're already violating the scale principle, then at least make it functional. 

/rant

When I use Dwarven Forge pieces that involve stairways, I have a little trick. I set aside a couple of the 1" square short-stair pieces. When someone needs to stop movement on the stairs, I flip the extra stair piece upside down, place it in the right spot on the stairs and stand the mini on the base of the flipped piece. Sure elevation is off, but at least placement on the map is right.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RouterMike said:

When I use Dwarven Forge pieces that involve stairways, I have a little trick. I set aside a couple of the 1" square short-stair pieces. When someone needs to stop movement on the stairs, I flip the extra stair piece upside down, place it in the right spot on the stairs and stand the mini on the base of the flipped piece. Sure elevation is off, but at least placement on the map is right.

Though I never tried it, this is also what popped into my mind when I thought about it.

A 1" stair case flipped over. Even a 2" larger one for bigger baddies that would take four 1" squares.

The issues I really have with basic\common terrain items like this is you can buy a 3d printer and print out something the size of this in like a month for a lot less.  And then, from there on out, you have the printer and don't have to buy that again.  I'm comparing this to the Duke which is a full castle for $750 usd (roughly).  Good 3d printer is $300, about $50 for the plans (more if you want a more complex castle) and probably $40-$50 in plastic.  If all you care about is dwarven forge sized pieces you can cut the printer cost in half.

It only makes sense to but one of the large, expensive pledges, if you love the look of it (which it is very nice, but very low detail even for MDF) or something that would be awkward to print size or modularity size.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:57 AM, Cranky Dog said:

Though I never tried it, this is also what popped into my mind when I thought about it.

A 1" stair case flipped over. Even a 2" larger one for bigger baddies that would take four 1" squares.

I do the same.  Works really well.

Edited by MonkeySloth