Ma'al Drakar 7-Day Goblin Contest Discussion thread

5 hours ago, lexomatic said:

Question for @buglips*the*goblin. If someone had provided evidence of going over offending areas and then re-painting, all with an appropriate brush, would that requalify an entry?

No, and the reasons are a bit complicated and may need some explaining.  Since this question comes on the heels of Sylverthorne's DQ I will use that as my example.  The choice to give a DQ was not an easy one, and I did try to rationalize a way not to since it was - in this specific instance - relatively minor.  I was leaning towards just your suggestion, but in the end I chose to adhere to the letter of Rule 3 because the discretion to do otherwise was out of my hands.  The rules, such as they are, MUST be applied fairly to all.  Rule 3 states a brush must be used, but this is both a directive and a prohibition - any other tool used for application is invalid.

So why does this matter?  In this case the alteration was slight and easily corrected by painting over it.  Okay, seems fair.  Is it then different if the surface was spray-treated with Dullcote if it is covered up afterwards?  Now you and I recognize the magnitude of these is quite different, but the basic nature is the same: a prohibited item is used to apply a material that alters the surface.

Without the standing codified prohibition, I would have discretion.  I could have given a warning and let her paint over it.  But it's a standing rule because people before her engaged in spurts of dubious creativity to break a simple set of basic directives and each one compelled an increasingly stern revision and narrowed interpretation (in addition to annoying me rather a lot).  With each one I gave up some of my discretion, knowing full well we would inevitably wind up with this scenario.

Sylverthorne made a careless but quite honest mistake.  I can tell you I would love nothing more than to let her off - but I can't because it's too clear a case and it opens the door to people who cannot restrain themselves from pushing the new limit that results.  So I can only opt for the clearest interpretation: she used a prohibited tool and that has to be a DQ.

Being well aware that this may appear unduly harsh, I feel I should add that the strict interpretation is one I hold myself to.  I blew my deadline because I was called out to the hospital where my brother was very near death from cancer.  I do not think a single person on this board would have argued against me stopping the clock for a few days and resuming - but then with that precedent I put myself in the unenviable position of having to judge future mitigating circumstances.  What excuse is not valid?  Kids get suddenly sick.  Cars break down.  Work needs extra shifts.  The cat began speaking aramaic doomsday prophecy and I have to go buy survival gear.

So I opted for the clearest interpretation:  Why I blew the deadline didn't matter.  It only mattered that I did.

• Like 10

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, lexomatic said:

That's fair and reasonable. I haven't paid attention to all the challenges to have noticed those attempts. It seemed a reasonable question, and I may yet try a challenge one day. I'm sorry about your brother.

I should clarify that most of the rules narrowing came about outside the challenges from people not even involved in the challenges.  Challenge participants have, as a rule, been quite good about sticking to the spirit of the thing.  That's part of what makes that DQ painful, because it's a technical foul and being a technical foul means I can't factor in her 100% score on spirit into the call.  Once something becomes a rule then it is incumbent upon the entrant to be aware of the rule and, as in this case, removes the wiggle room for earnest error.  This is why, where possible, I have tried to make as few rules as I can get away with.  It's supposed to be difficult but fun, not strict and cruel.   

• Like 3

A brief reminder that if there are any crazy people left that still want to participate in this Challenge, there's only a little over 2 weeks left until the deadline of 12:01 AM August 1st, Central time.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D