Sign in to follow this  
buglips*the*goblin

Ma'al Drakar 7-Day Goblin Contest Discussion thread

5 hours ago, lexomatic said:

Question for @buglips*the*goblin. If someone had provided evidence of going over offending areas and then re-painting, all with an appropriate brush, would that requalify an entry?

No, and the reasons are a bit complicated and may need some explaining.  Since this question comes on the heels of Sylverthorne's DQ I will use that as my example.  The choice to give a DQ was not an easy one, and I did try to rationalize a way not to since it was - in this specific instance - relatively minor.  I was leaning towards just your suggestion, but in the end I chose to adhere to the letter of Rule 3 because the discretion to do otherwise was out of my hands.  The rules, such as they are, MUST be applied fairly to all.  Rule 3 states a brush must be used, but this is both a directive and a prohibition - any other tool used for application is invalid.

So why does this matter?  In this case the alteration was slight and easily corrected by painting over it.  Okay, seems fair.  Is it then different if the surface was spray-treated with Dullcote if it is covered up afterwards?  Now you and I recognize the magnitude of these is quite different, but the basic nature is the same: a prohibited item is used to apply a material that alters the surface.

Without the standing codified prohibition, I would have discretion.  I could have given a warning and let her paint over it.  But it's a standing rule because people before her engaged in spurts of dubious creativity to break a simple set of basic directives and each one compelled an increasingly stern revision and narrowed interpretation (in addition to annoying me rather a lot).  With each one I gave up some of my discretion, knowing full well we would inevitably wind up with this scenario.

Sylverthorne made a careless but quite honest mistake.  I can tell you I would love nothing more than to let her off - but I can't because it's too clear a case and it opens the door to people who cannot restrain themselves from pushing the new limit that results.  So I can only opt for the clearest interpretation: she used a prohibited tool and that has to be a DQ.

Being well aware that this may appear unduly harsh, I feel I should add that the strict interpretation is one I hold myself to.  I blew my deadline because I was called out to the hospital where my brother was very near death from cancer.  I do not think a single person on this board would have argued against me stopping the clock for a few days and resuming - but then with that precedent I put myself in the unenviable position of having to judge future mitigating circumstances.  What excuse is not valid?  Kids get suddenly sick.  Cars break down.  Work needs extra shifts.  The cat began speaking aramaic doomsday prophecy and I have to go buy survival gear.

So I opted for the clearest interpretation:  Why I blew the deadline didn't matter.  It only mattered that I did.

• Like 10

That's fair and reasonable. I haven't paid attention to all the challenges to have noticed those attempts. It seemed a reasonable question, and I may yet try a challenge one day. I'm sorry about your brother.

7 hours ago, lexomatic said:

That's fair and reasonable. I haven't paid attention to all the challenges to have noticed those attempts. It seemed a reasonable question, and I may yet try a challenge one day. I'm sorry about your brother.

I should clarify that most of the rules narrowing came about outside the challenges from people not even involved in the challenges.  Challenge participants have, as a rule, been quite good about sticking to the spirit of the thing.  That's part of what makes that DQ painful, because it's a technical foul and being a technical foul means I can't factor in her 100% score on spirit into the call.  Once something becomes a rule then it is incumbent upon the entrant to be aware of the rule and, as in this case, removes the wiggle room for earnest error.  This is why, where possible, I have tried to make as few rules as I can get away with.  It's supposed to be difficult but fun, not strict and cruel.   

• Like 3

A brief reminder that if there are any crazy people left that still want to participate in this Challenge, there's only a little over 2 weeks left until the deadline of 12:01 AM August 1st, Central time.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I hope to announce winners before Reapercon, but it may be after due to delays caused by my recent house fire.  But it shouldn't be much beyond that, I just need to have enough time to evaluate all the entrants fairly and make sure I don't overlook anything. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By FirstLevelFighter
      Hello, all!

I'm planning to paint Ma'al Drakar as Dungeons & Dragons' Dark Lady, Tiamat.

She's going to be, by far, my biggest painting project. Before I start painting, I'm planning some conversions to make her look more like D&D's Chromatic Dragon.

I'd love to get any advice or tips that anyone would like to share about painting large models, or any of the other parts of the process. I'll share my plans, and try to keep up a WIP thread about this grand adventure.

My first step is going to be pretty drastic, so if anyone wants to jump in with advice, please do.

I have WotC's Gargantuan Black Dragon. The forward-sweeping horns are so iconic, my Tiamat's black dragon head (Ma'al's lower right head) should have horns like that. The Gargantuan Black's a perfect scale to use for Tiamat's horns. I'm actually planning to carefully cut the horns off the black dragon, make a 2-part mold, cast a set of horns for Tiamat, and reattach the horns back on the black dragon.

Am I out of my mind? Does any one see potential problems with this plan, other than the usual challenges of casting minis, etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice, feedback, and encouragement! 
    • By Tigermanic
      Ordered Ma'al Drakar to play the role of Tiamat in my Rise of Tiamat campaign I'm currently running. (Icons of the realm Tiamat is just to small IMHO)

Having just received it in the mail I'm finally understanding the scale of the project I have Doomed myself to. Lol

I was wondering if people had tips on mold line removal for pieces this large, what you suggest for Gap filling between all the assembled pieces, should I prime before assembly, and if there is a best way (or horribly wrong way) to pin all the pieces together.
    • By 3vil3lvis
      Finally finished five faced foe.

Heads.

Wings

• By Morihalda
      Alternative Title:
      How Morihalda Achieved Maximum Distraction from 14 Other WIP Threads: A Story.

Chapter One
      6 November. My husband and I went on a date to the museum. We always have so much fun there and learn so many new things! I saw an absolutely gorgeous snake and thought, "Wow, that would be an excellent dragon pattern. OH WOW Ma'al could be five different reptile patterns!!" I'd been wanting to do a skeletal or blacklight theme for him for forever, but I decided those would be better suited on a smaller dragon.

I spent some time that night researching snakes, lizards (and the occasional amphibian), and habitats before settling on some patterns. I spent a few more hours cleaning up mold lines and convincing myself that I don't need to resculpt these perfect heads!

Red - Fire Skink
      Black - Lace Monitor
      Green - Green Iguana
      Blue - Blue Tree Monitor
      White - Blue tongue Skink
      Body - Fire Skink

This Boelen's Python didn't make the cut since I settled on lizards, but look at that good son! He's going to be my black dragon one day. 

The red fire skink will be inspiration for both the red head and body. It has so many amazing colors that will help bring all the faces together. I'm thinking the wings will be muted on the underside to match the black and white heads and more fire skink on the top. This means the black and white heads need to be the middle level heads - there's a beautiful curve from them leading to each wing.

My tentative color blocking. Good enough for an art gallery, yeah? ;)

Chapter Two
      7 November. I spent over three hours this afternoon pinning, gluing, and green stuffing specific sections. The wing gaps and one of the legs are pretty rough, but the head scales perfectly cover the neck scales! Almost like it was planned.  

Chapter Three
      8 November. I am still prepping. There is still barely enough done to warrant a forum post. All I have to show you are stabby holes in my hands (yes I will be using a holder/lazy Susan when painting, but I need all the angles while sculpting). Either I got one that was a little uneven or I'm just way more picky than some folks, but I have had a ton of gap filling to do for the legs.

How did some of you do this in 7 days?! Someone send me rations and supplies to survive!  

• By WhiteWulfe
      I say attempted because of two reasons...  First is this is the show off thread, and secondly, no official confirmation yet on the dates since @buglips*the*goblin has been occupied with other things, although a part of me suspects that @OneBoot might vouch.  At least on the times 

WIP Thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/83285-whitewulfe-attemps-the-seven-day-goblin-challenge-dragons-dont-share-2014-edition/

This post may or may not be wordy, I haven't decided yet.  I'm tired, I'm sore, my eyes burn, but...  It. Is. DONE!  At least in my eyes.  A lot of things aren't as well done as I'd like, but that's what happens when you lose the equivalent of almost two full days to surprise contractors.  Thankfully I had terrain to work on while they took up most of that time!

Rules thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69639-7-day-goblin-challenge-official-rules/

Just what is the 7-Day Goblin Challenge?  Well, I summarize it as follows: Stupidly large mini, comically small brush.  Right now, it's four different minis you can choose from, you can only use up to a size 0 brush, aaaaand you have all of seven days to finish it.  That's it.  No airbrushes, no fancy paper towel tricks, no smearing paint with your fingers (as that's a "brush" that's bigger than size 0!), no direct application of paint, no aerosol cans... You get the idea. ^_^;;;

Start time: October 27th, at 09:05 MST/MDT (aka -07:00 GMT)
      End time: Nov 3rd, at 02:02 MST/MDT

Getting all of this to fit in my mock lighting setup was an absolute pain, doubly so since I had to steal hubby's painting light to try and get even lighting across things. o_O

^Starting setup, with time displayed

^Ending setup, with time displayed.  At this point, I technically had 7 hours and 3 minutes left in my seven days, and by the time I'm done writing this it'll probably be a full hour later (something about editing down over forty pictures, and that's AFTER I filtered redundant pics out of the equation o_O)

In order to not make this an absolute pain to scroll through, I'll showcase key pictures, with additional detail pics being hidden behind spoiler tags.

^Obviously the main attraction is first.

Additional dragon pictures:

Terrain details:

First hero is apparently the dwarf cleric...  At least with the order I took pics!

Additional pics:

^The sorceress~

Additional pics:

^The thief/rogue/sneaky one!

Additional pics:

The... Ranger/archer guy!

Additional pics:

^And last, but not least...  Sir Purple of Shiny, as more or less named by OneBoot...  Well, inspired by due to purple and how shiny his armour was for quite some time...

Additional pics!

Now, comes the slightly... I dunno, philisophical part of it all.  Would I do things differently next time?  Most definitely.  I'd prefer to give my heroes more time, and also make sure I have brushes that I trust well enough to do eyes.  I had to pull out my 000 Reaper brush to try the eyes....  I also wouldn't wait until after 1am  in the final hours of the challenge to do said eyes either.  I'd also not recommend losing a good chunk of time to surprise contractors either, or at least keep painting as best one can - although that first day of surprise contractors, uhm....  Yeah, anything other than priming would have been impossible while they were doing work, the entire building was vibrating.

Would I recommend this kind of thing to others?  Sure, why not...  If you're willing to do a reasonable amount of planning ahead of time.  I'd also strongly recommend having time off while you do this, AND not being the person who cooks.  Assigning cooking duties to someone else (or, y'know, having a freezer/fridge full of ready to make meals) would probably also be rather handy.  If you're in a relationship, or living with others (be they roommates, or parents, or whatever), DEFINITELY make sure to talk it over with them.  I'm lucky, I'm married to an enabler, and by that he's the main reason I was able to do the challenge.  That and he was quite happy to work on relic quests in FF XIV:ARR while I painted 

Oh, and make sure you've actually GOT groceries to cook with if you are going to be the cook!  Don't have to run out a few times during said challenge, DOUBLY SO if you happen to have to WALK everywhere when you do said errands.  No, not even to go and get your package of big stompy robots, you silly fox!

I went into this with a rather basic plan...  Colours picked out for the heroes (but apparently only their capes/cloaks), and a basic colour pattern idea on the dragon.  I'd recommend not winging it like I did, because it brings up some rather interesting (and annoying!) problems as you go, like how on earth you're going to make it work, and blend it all together.

Will I give another one a shot?  We shall see.  Obviously there's recovering from this one, but most importantly is this - hubby would have to say yes again 

...I'm going to go get sleep now!
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 2 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)