So, in my Iron Kingdoms RPG campaign, I needed a Soul Stalker -- a wormy, tentacled extra-dimensional monster that intrudes into the mortal world for the sole purpose of chasing down someone who reneges upon a deal with the otherworldly creatures known as the Infernals.  Artwork from the newer Monsternomicon made it look more centipede-like, but old Iron Kingdoms d20 Monsternomicon illustrations of lesser infernals sets a trend wherein they tend to look almost embryotic, more soft-edged and squishy.

Therefore:

reaper_77541_carrion_worm_by_jordangreyw

I had this fellow from the latest Bones 3 Kickstarter (Graveyard Expansion) -- 77541 Carrion Worm.  I also had a few tentacles from 02664 Phase Cat, because once upon a time I needed some wild cats of the leopard variety, but couldn't actually find some ... so the next best thing was to pick up some Reaper Phase Cats, leave off the tentacles, and fill the gaps on their backs with some putty.  I kept those tentacles around because you JUST NEVER KNOW when you'll need those for something, eh?  And basically I just drilled a couple of holes (a little larger than I usually do for my pinning holes for wire) so I could insert the ends of the pewter tentacle pieces.  Voila!  Extra-dimensional horror!

The scenery, by the way, is a combination of some Secret Weapon Tablescapes "Forgotten City" tiles (which I finally got to try out for the first time this weekend), and some kludged-together bits of scenery made from pink foam board.

• Like 16
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/8/2017 at 10:18 AM, Chaoswolf said:

Cool conversion, and good paint job on it!

The terrain looks pretty good, too. What do you think of Secret Weapon's stuff?

Thanks!  I'm pretty pleased with the Secret Weapon Miniatures "Tablescapes" overall.  I've been in the process of retiring some of my old foam-board and cardboard terrain that hasn't been holding up too well in the garage (I'm in Florida, so I don't have a basement), and I've also been trying to figure out better ways to quickly set up a table at convention games.

For HIPS terrain boards, previously I've tried the Games & Gears Battleboards (specifically the "Hawk" city streets), but those things are big and unwieldy -- each board is 2'x2', and it's rather thick.  Also, I'm a bit disappointed in the surface detailing: it really looks like someone just scrawled out an engraving pattern in CorelDraw to spell out the outlines of the sidewalk tiles and such, and then that was used as the template for "carving" the details into the surface.  Seriously, it was no more detail than could have been accomplished with some laser-cut MDF.  It's a bit sloppy at points, as some of the lines don't fully connect to form the outline of a sidewalk tile here or there, and I've seen more work put into making an interesting detailed surface in TOYS.

Tablescapes seems to address everything I might have found wrong with the Games & Gears Battleboards.  First off, they come in 1'x1' tiles, with big friendly flexible corner clip pieces that make it easy to quickly latch the things together.  The difference between 2'x2' and 1'x1' might look petty on paper, but the box they came in has a plastic handle, and they load up rather nicely (with a bit of room to spare) for transport.  With the 2'x2' Games & Gear boards, by comparison, they just game in big cardboard sleeves -- no handle, and too heavy to comfortably just tuck several of them under an arm to transport up and down stairs at a convention.  The Tablescapes are also fairly thin and compact for the most part, but durable.

The Tablescapes tiles hold up well to spray paint, and have considerable detail.  So far, I've got several of the "Forgotten City" tiles and a flocked set of Rolling Hills for my fantasy games, for my Fallout-themed games I have some more Rolling HIlls and Scrapyard tiles painted up "wasteland" style, and for modern games (plus a bit of Fallout), I have a few "Urban Streets - Clean" tiles.  (The Urban Streets are a bit redundant for my purposes with those Games & Gears street battleboards, but I really like the extra details with the cracked and textured streets, gutters, grills and panels, and so forth.  I'd love to get the "battle-damaged" Urban Streets, but that'll only happen if I can find them at some incredible mark-down, as I've already blown a sizeable portion of my "hobby budget" on Tablescapes tiles.)

Now, I can still complain about ANYTHING, so there are still a few points where I could do with some improvement.  (The fact that I spend far more words on explaining my discontent than on my praise does NOT mean that my net opinion is negative.  It's just that while it's simple enough to say that something is awesome, if I have criticisms I feel the obligation to be specific.)

Scrapyard:

It's evident that this is done with computer-aided design, in that there's a bit of "cut-and-paste" and "squash-and-stretch" visible in some of the repeating elements.  It's not THAT BAD, but it looks a bit odd when some basic model such as a tire or truck grill or rectangular crate suffers a bit of squash-and-stretch such that what should be 90-degree angles are no longer so.

Another drawback of the "cut-and-paste" is that in places the scrapyard looks like it's suffering from video game "clipping errors," as there might be a nice big solid sheet of corrugated steel that part of a vehicle or crate is inexplicably sticking right through.

I should note, though, that this is only something I've noticed while getting up close with the details while painting it.  I imagine that the typical user/player is not going to notice or care.  Collectively, it gives the idea of a scrapyard, just like it's supposed to, and it looks cool.  So I'm willing to forgive a little such sloppiness.

Rolling Hills:

One of the big features of Rolling Hills would be the modular riverbed.  It looks cool ... and yet it's also my pet peeve about the set.  It has a lot of potential in that you can either just paint it up and leave is as a bone-dry riverbed, or else you can go the extra mile with some water effects to give it some "water."  However, there are two details that bug me when it comes to "rivers" in tabletop miniatures:

1) They're ridiculously small.  They're really more "streams" than rivers.  Depending upon the game system and character, it might be possible to jump right across.

2) They're a bit too straight and angular.  The Kickstarter concept art showed "corner" river pieces that meandered about in a sort of angled horseshoe path that actually looked pretty good.  I could do with a bit of "meandering" to break up the straight lines in what's supposed to be an organic feature, but for some reason the final product became a fairly boring curved 90-degree turn for one tile, and two straights (one narrower, one wider) for the remainder.  If you just use the straights, it doesn't look that bad (perhaps it's just a ditch), but the corner turns call out how unnatural the angular nature of a square grid seems when used to represent organic wilds.

3) Just as you can't apply magic paint to turn part of a miniature transparent, we haven't "portable holes" that can be laid down on a tabletop to represent an abyss, chasm, pit, or other feature that descends below the plane of the table.  That's one reason why for my terrain board projects, I started with thick foam, because then I could dig down into the foam to make battle trenches or pools or rivers.  Resin or plastic "river" terrain pieces generally have piled-up banks, and a water's surface that would put the water table higher than the surrounding ground.

As such, I was somewhat disappointed that the "Rolling Hills" tiles have those tell-tale rising banks on either side of the river.  I'd rather the riverbed just be a bit shallower and represent a gradual tip into the (slightly) elevated surface of the tile.  (As a bonus, if I left the riverbed empty, it wouldn't become such a pitfall for placing and standing miniatures.)  But ... eh, that's just how it is.  I'm tempted to make some sort of "riverbank transition" pieces that would be incomplete tiles that line up with the edge of "Rolling Hills" tiles on one side, and then have a jagged descent on the other -- and then my "water" would just be a big sheet of plastic spray-painted blue, lying underneath the whole board, and the river could basically be as wide as I wished.  Alas, I wouldn't have the advantage of the tiles being able to "link up" with the existing Tablescapes tiles, unless I sacrificed a few of the "link" pieces and permanently glued them to my custom transition pieces.

But, just to be clear, I love these tiles!  :D

Back on the plus side, the design of the Tablescapes linking system is such that they line up nicely with terrain that isn't necessarily "compatible" but at least has a straight edge. My Hirst Arts boards already naturally round off to the nearest inch in dimensions, and I've got a number of terrain mini-tiles that measure 6"x6" that would line up nicely next to the 1'x1' tiles.  I might eventually make some sort of riverbank/bridge/dock piece, and the current "river" sections could just represent some sort of tributary or drainage ditch.

And once again, despite all the words spent nitpicking little details that I didn't care for, the Tablescapes tiles still nicely fulfill exactly what I got them for.  I really hope that Secret Weapons Miniatures gets around to making some more.  (I can imagine all sorts of designs I could make use of, and I've found uses for everything they've put out so far.)

Edited by Jordan Peacock
clarification
  • Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By odinsgrandson
      Here is our current adventuring party for Iron Kingdoms.  We started a new campaign shortly after Reapercon, so I was able to make use of several of the convention minis.
      This party is quite an odd mix of races.  Lately, I've been quite fond of having a semi-cohesive color pallet for our adventuring parties.  The last one I did was all in cold blues, so with this one I went for a very warm pallet.

Lil is an investigator who 'secretly' is a Thamar Advocate.  She's just the stock mini of the vampire hunter from Reapercon (by Bob Ridolfi)

This Pygmie Troll is very fond of hitting things and also alcohol.  He was made by resculpting the head and hands from the Jason Weibe's Dwarf Brewmaster (07015)

Our resident Bone Grinder was made from Bobby Jackson's River Widow (03913).  I only made superficial changes to her (adding a few extra bone-grindy items to her belt).
      ]

For our Trollkin Axe Flinger, it turns out that we already had the perfect mini.  This is the version from the Undercity Board Game.

This Outcast Skorne Bushwacker/Warlock was made by simply head swapping a Malifaux rifleman.

This Lazy Cyclopes (under the command of the Warlock) was a sculpt that I made quite a few years ago.  I showed it off to several sculptors at Gencon, and they all gave me some pointers on things that I could improve on.  Still, I was fond enough of him that I decided to paint him up.

• By EldritchEladrin
      Hello all,

Starting a new WIP for a mini I'm working on for one of the players in my D&D 5e campaign.

One of her characters is a Tiefling Eldritch Knight, so I have selected the glaive-weilding S'Kara to be the starting point for this project...

As you can see, I have just begun. I have primed the mini, and used a pair of pliers to slightly curve her horns, to achieve a more ram-like, less devil-like look.

I'm currently in the process of selecting colours for the cloth portion of her outfit. Any suggestions or ideas? (Fyi, she will have dark brown hair and olive skin).

As always, comments and constructive feedback are always welcome! 

-E.E.
    • By joshuaslater
      Going for a Darkspawn elite from an Iron Kingdoms model from Privateer Press.

• By Jordan Peacock
      Inspired in part by the Great Frogmeister's silly photos of Kaladrax getting into bags of snacks, doing battle against action figures, and tearing up rolls of toilet paper, I thought I'd finally get around to tackling my own Kaladrax from the Bones Kickstarter.

Here is a very rough, un-glued assembly of the parts I have.  All I've done so far is to cover all the pieces with Americana "Parchment" acrylic (a sort of yellowish-beige-white), then to apply a wash with a big jug of brown paint that has gone "soupy."  (This happens to a lot of my acrylic paints: it turns watery, and my attempts to stir it up just result in a bubbly mess.  It's not like there's a bunch of thicker sedative at the bottom; I have no idea how that transformation happens, but it's the peril of having too many cheap acrylic paints, I guess, and letting them sit around for too long.  Fortunately, with the darker paints, they still work just fine as messy washes for "grunging up" terrain and such.  Or, in this case, giant skeletal dragons.)  There's a little bit of lime green in there, in the area between the ribs, but that was an early mess when I was still trying to sort out my "battle plan."  That whole area will have to be repainted, especially after I applied the brown wash to muddle things up.

Now, in a perfect world, I'd be able to pose the dragon a little more like this:

Why?  Because I'm running an Iron Kingdoms campaign on the high seas, and I thought I might find use for this model -- at last! -- as a great Cryx monstrosity.  In Iron Kingdoms, the Cryx are one of the overt "bad guy" factions, consisting of a bunch of undead-steampunk lich lords lurking on the Scharde Islands just off the coast, with lots of pirate minions who raid the mainland for "fresh recruits."  Their forces are characterized by lots of undead thingies with bolted-on armor and parts randomly replaced with mechanisms, plus mysterious "engines" that involve a lot of glowing green undead energy.  So, painting schemes tend toward bone white, gunmetal/gray, burnished bronze, and glowing green.

I would like to pose Kaladrax in a more "rearing-up" position, so as to maybe fit within a base with a somewhat smaller footprint ... but then, the more it is rearing up and vertical, the greater the danger that it's going to wibble-wobble all the time and the wings will simply fall off or worse.  (If I can manage, I plan to NOT glue in the wings, because I'd like to be able to remove them for easier transportation and storage.  If they make a habit of popping off on a regular basis, however, I might have little choice other than to wire them in, and just plan on keeping this critter in a bigger foam-lined box.)

In the picture above, none of the pieces are glued in.  Just getting Kaladrax into position was very troublesome, as parts kept falling off.  The tail is particularly frustrating, with its ridiculous length, combined with its tendency to pop apart easily.

My first order of business will be to find a suitable base that I can start bolting things down to.  If I keep Kaladrax on its original decorative base, at the very least I'll need a base with a diameter of 8" just to accommodate the decorative base at its widest point.  The dragon extends for quite some distance beyond that, however, so if I'm going to use this for miniatures gaming, I think 12" is a more likely minimum.  If Kaladrax is posed as normal, and if the tail is to be included, I might end up with a base as wide as 16" in diameter.  I hope that perhaps with a bit of pinning and some forced bending, I can get the tail to curl in more tightly.  Another consideration I've had is that I might shorten the tail.  Or, if I go with a "Kaladrax emerges from the sea" setup, I might do without the tail entirely.  I also considered removing the rear legs (rather easy to do, with a bit of putty gap-filling, since the hip bones are separate parts), but I'm reluctant to short-change Kaladrax too much.  ;)

I've got a number of coffee can lids and such, but nothing approaching the right size.  I do have a dead fan tower that I could borrow the base from, but I think that would over-shoot the intended diameter.  (I suppose I should measure it.  If it's within the ballpark, it would have the added benefit of having some WEIGHT to it, if I try for a more "dynamic" pose with Kaladrax rearing up.)

My Reaper Kraken (77291) is missing the critical top ridged part of its body, so I've been borrowing its tentacles for "tentacles rising from the murk" pieces for RPG encounters.  I might borrow its decorative "shipwreck" base as well, to add to Kaladrax's own decorative base, to give the scene a more nautical appearance.

Once I settle on a way to bolt down Kaladrax without the thing wobbling all over the place (whether I attempt a more "dynamic" pose or just have it lounging on a rocky precipice), then there will be the matter of cleaning up the ribcage area and touching up my bone-and-wash look, then bolting on various Cryxian "evil-steampunk" elements to turn this into a giant magical-steampunk monstrosity -- the sort of encounter one does not go up against without an army or two.

Here and my Colossal-class Cryx "Kraken" (different model -- basically a big steampunk robot with a couple of robo-tentacles) was going to be the big-shot opponent originally ... until I discovered in my first Iron Kingdoms RPG campaign that even Colossal/Gargantuan stats from the miniatures war game aren't all that impressive when faced by a properly combat-focused PC party.

But THIS guy ... he might be worth a little more respect.

"Kaladrax LAUGHS at your puny so-called 'Colossal' on its mere 120mm base!"
    • By Jordan Peacock
      Reaper Bones #80027 "Nightslip," converted with two "flintlock" pistols and some "brown stuff" epoxy putty:

I saw this figure from Privateer Press, and at some point thought, "I could probably paint "Nightslip" up to look like that!"  Having a gun in each hand helped -- but they weren't QUITE the right sort of guns.

(Reference image from Privateer Press site.)

Basically, it just boiled down to painting a lot of what (I suppose) would be skin on the Bones mini as cloth instead, swapping out the pistols, and then -- for bonus points -- adding a little extra putty to bulk out the shoulder/cowl area to make the hooded cloak look a little more rugged and all-weather vs. just being "superheroic."

The arms of the Bones model are far too delicate for normal pinning.  I was able to use some fabric pins to stab lengthwise into the arms through the wrist area, but I wasn't able to get a good enough anchor point to use some sturdy wire for the pinning job.  Therefore, the pistols are actually pinned to the body/cloak, rather than to the wrists.  The guns are a couple of flintlock-looking pistols I got as part of a "bits" grab bag from an old "game bazaar," so I have no idea as to their origins.  I suspect that they were intended to represent holstered weapons, as the big bulky area around the middle looks something like a strap or sling, but I decided to paint them up as if that was just part of the gun.  Alas, they're actually a bit TOO large compared to Taryn Di La Rovissi's magelocks, but it's the best I had on hand.  I used some more putty to build up the wrist areas and to make it look -- at least at a glance -- like she's wearing heavy gauntlets or thick gloves.

For basing, I was able to just put the figure's integral base down on a 30mm round lipped Chronoscope plastic base.  The legs are fine enough that although it would have been quite simple to cut the boot bottoms free from the base, it would have been quite the challenge to pin them down to a new base.  Hence, I just stuck with the existing base, but used some putty in an attempt to extend the "cobblestone" texture outward to fill the exposed interior area of the base.  The white marks on the base are to help determine forward arc and direct facing for the RPG.

For the end result, I'm putting this in my box of assorted Iron Kingdoms NPCs.  (The GM has hinted that our business might eventually bring us into contact with the Llaelese Resistance, so I figured adding a few Llael-inspired figures couldn't hurt.)
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)