Traveller Character Generator Game

Crowley

Pregame character deaths were a joke in EVERY group. Ideally, my group wanted at least one Scout, with good Pilot skill, and preferably a ship.

OBTAINING this, without fudging dice rolls, invariably took a while. 

• Like 2

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until recently, I never appreciated that most Traveller campaigns have the feel of a group of people thrown together because they are all having their mid-life crisis about the same moment in time (albeit at different ages).

So, they quit their "jobs" and then are trying to figure out what to do next, making some really bad decisions along the way.  Meanwhile, their loved ones and friends are shaking their heads sadly and wondering what went wrong.  

Rarely do I feel that the characters are just relatively unskilled noobs at the start of their careers and are going through difficult times.

Ron

• Like 2

Merchant 3rd Officer Bo Ivanov 4725B4 Age 34 4 terms Cr45,000 Skills: Electronics-1, Medical-2, Pilot-1, Shotgun-2, Streetwise-1, Vacc Suit-2 Benefits: Low Passage Service History: Attempted to enlist in Navy. Enlistment denied. Drafted into merchants. Commissioned during first term of service. Voluntarily reenlisted for second term. Voluntarily reenlisted for third term. Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term. Promoted to 3rd Officer. Chose not to reenlist after fourth term.

At least I dodged the scouts bullet!

Damon.

• Like 3

Okay, admittedly, it wasn't the first time I opened the website, but I did close the tab, then reread what we were going for. So went back to the website and got:

Army General Cai Ma 7479A9 Age 46 7 terms Cr55,000 Skills: ATV-3, Air/Raft-1, Brawling-1, Foil-1, Fwd Obsvr-1, Rifle-1, SMG-2

Benefits: 8,000/yr Retirement Pay, High Passage, High Passage, High Passage, High Passage

Service History: Attempted to enlist in Army.

Enlistment accepted.

Commissioned during first term of service.

Promoted to Captain.

Voluntarily reenlisted for second term.

Promoted to Major.

Manditory reenlistment for third term.

Promoted to Lt Colonel.

Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term.

Promoted to Colonel.

Voluntarily reenlisted for fifth term.

Voluntarily reenlisted for sixth term.

Promoted to General.

Voluntarily reenlisted for seventh term.

Mandatory retirement after seventh term.

I have no idea if that's good or not. Going to see what Traveller is now.

• Like 2

Navy Starman Trisha Hall

Age 30

3 terms

Cr17,000

Skills: Body Pistol-1, Fwd Obsvr-1, Mechanical-1, Ship's Boat-1 Service History:

Attempted to enlist in Navy. Enlistment accepted.

Voluntarily reenlisted for third term.

Chose not to reenlist after third term.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lars Porsenna said:

That's a pretty early mandatory retirement!

Damon.

If I had stayed in as long as possible and not gotten another promotion I would have been forced to retire at 26 years.  I would have been 44.  Retired at age 38 with 20 year instead.  Though U.S. generals don't have a mandatory retirement age. Traveller has an odd rank system compared to RL, it seems like everyone is an officer...heavens forbid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Okay, admittedly, it wasn't the first time I opened the website, but I did close the tab, then reread what we were going for. So went back to the website and got:

Army General Cai Ma 7479A9 Age 46 7 terms Cr55,000 Skills: ATV-3, Air/Raft-1, Brawling-1, Foil-1, Fwd Obsvr-1, Rifle-1, SMG-2

Benefits: 8,000/yr Retirement Pay, High Passage, High Passage, High Passage, High Passage

Service History: Attempted to enlist in Army.

Enlistment accepted.

Commissioned during first term of service.

Promoted to Captain.

Promoted to Major.

Manditory reenlistment for third term.

Promoted to Lt Colonel.

Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term.

Promoted to Colonel.

Voluntarily reenlisted for fifth term.

Voluntarily reenlisted for sixth term.

Promoted to General.

Voluntarily reenlisted for seventh term.

Mandatory retirement after seventh term.

I have no idea if that's good or not. Going to see what Traveller is now.

That's fantastic actually!

2 hours ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

Traveller has an odd rank system compared to RL, it seems like everyone is an officer...heavens forbid.

Remember that this is the basic chargen. If you do the High Guard (etc.) chargen system, things get a bit more complex. High Guard has ranks from E1 to E9 and O1 to O10, and getting a commission is a bit harder. Even with college, you only have 1 chance in three at OCS. The characters are quite a bit more interesting (in general) in the complex system, FWIW.

A few other things: if you get drafted, you can't become an officer in your first term, and you might not get a second term. Also, there are no officers in the Scout Service or Other.

• Like 2

And I got a Scout that lived!

Scout Zoe Hon 8393AA Age 38

5 terms Cr150,000

Skills: Air/Raft-1, Electronics-2, Gunnery-1, Jack-o-T-2, Mechanical-1, Medical-1, Navigation-2, Pilot-1, Vacc Suit-1

Benefits: 4,000/yr Retirement Pay, Scout Ship

Service History: Attempted to enlist in Scouts.

Enlistment accepted.

Voluntarily reenlisted for third term.

Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term. Voluntarily reenlisted for fifth term.

Retired after fifth term.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

And I got a Scout that lived!

Lived, mustered out with a Scout Ship, quite a bit of cash, and good skills. Interesting stats, though.

With a Dex and Int of 3 each and education and social standing of 10 each, I think she might have had a bit of ... influence ... helping her out in her career.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Remember that this is the basic chargen. If you do the High Guard (etc.) chargen system, things get a bit more complex. High Guard has ranks from E1 to E9 and O1 to O10, and getting a commission is a bit harder. Even with college, you only have 1 chance in three at OCS. The characters are quite a bit more interesting (in general) in the complex system, FWIW.

A few other things: if you get drafted, you can't become an officer in your first term, and you might not get a second term. Also, there are no officers in the Scout Service or Other.

I thought the Scouts had something vaguely equivalent to ranks, based on number of planets charted, service stripes, Senior Scout 1st Grade...

...somebody assigns ships, assigns exploration targets etc.

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

I thought the Scouts had something vaguely equivalent to ranks, based on number of planets charted, service stripes, Senior Scout 1st Grade...

...somebody assigns ships, assigns exploration targets etc.

If you're playing with the chargen in Book 6 (not the basic chargen), scouts get rank as well, though it's a bit wonky, IMO. But in the basic chargen, scouts don't get commissions or rank. And often don't live.