Jump to content

Traveller Character Generator Game


Crowley
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

Remember that this is the basic chargen. If you do the High Guard (etc.) chargen system, things get a bit more complex. High Guard has ranks from E1 to E9 and O1 to O10, and getting a commission is a bit harder. Even with college, you only have 1 chance in three at OCS. The characters are quite a bit more interesting (in general) in the complex system, FWIW.

 

A few other things: if you get drafted, you can't become an officer in your first term, and you might not get a second term. Also, there are no officers in the Scout Service or Other.

Char Gen was as far as I ever got in Traveller.  For whatever reason we never actually started the game.  That was about 25 years or so ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

Lived, mustered out with a Scout Ship, quite a bit of cash, and good skills. Interesting stats, though.

 

With a Dex and Int of 3 each and education and social standing of 10 each, I think she might have had a bit of ... influence ... helping her out in her career.

Ahh, so the numbers are stats.  I haven't played Traveller since the 80's so I couldn't remember.

 

I also rolled up a Navy Lieutenant that had a Halberd skill of 4.  What's the story behind that I wonder?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Ahh, so the numbers are stats.  I haven't played Traveller since the 80's so I couldn't remember.

 

I also rolled up a Navy Lieutenant that had a Halberd skill of 4.  What's the story behind that I wonder?

 

Don't piss off the Quartermaster?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Reaperbryan said:

I don't understand. 

 

How can your character start the game dead?

 

You can't.

 

And there you have the joy of the Traveller character generation system. <_<

 

I guess they wanted to make the game realistic. But the result was that character generation was immensely frustrating.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Pingo said:

 

You can't.

 

And there you have the joy of the Traveller character generation system. <_<

 

I guess they wanted to make the game realistic. But the result was that character generation was immensely frustrating.

I can understand some games where you died (Vampire, Wraith). But while it is absolutely realistic to generate people who have died before the game starts, why even have that as an option for the character the player is supposed to use? I mean, am I supposed to play a buried or cremated corpse for the entire game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your character could also die if they failed a survival check when traveling Low Passage - cryogenic suspension....

 

Way, way back when... GDW had a survey in their magazine - The Journal for the Traveller's Aid Society.

 

Basically asking questions about the characters that people were playing.

 

A bit later, GDW came out with a wargame set in the same universe - The Fifth Frontier War.

 

Those folks that had filled out and submitted the survey received notice that their characters had been drafted....

 

One of the things about Traveller was the feeling that it was a big universe - and the PCs were not the most important thing going on.

 

Later editions had it so that instead of dying, the PCs that failed their Survival roll in character generation were mustered out, not killed.

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To understand some of the original concepts for Traveller you should read the Dumerest of Terra series of books by E.C. Tubb. A 33 book series started in 1968 and I believe the last one was published in 2012 or so, just before he passed. You should be able to find most of the series available as pdfs for free on the web. They are typically only 150 pages or so, quick and easy reads and you will find out why you might have Halberd-4 or why you can die on low passage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

I can understand some games where you died (Vampire, Wraith). But while it is absolutely realistic to generate people who have died before the game starts, why even have that as an option for the character the player is supposed to use? I mean, am I supposed to play a buried or cremated corpse for the entire game?

I always figured character generation was sort of a solo play mode. Rainy afternoon, the rest of the group isn't there, no game... ...but two players can take turns generating characters..??..survivors go into a Rogue's Gallery folder, waiting to be used. 

 

Or they end up as NPCs. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

I don't understand. 

 

How can your character start the game dead?

 

Probability of dying during chargen rises with the number of terms you serve. And the more terms you serve, the better your skill set at the start of play. The intent, as far as I can tell, was to make the choice to continue to re-up have the occasional consequence (there are also aging rolls that can cause problems). So, if you have a great character already, do you push your luck for that one more term or take the safe choice and muster out after (say) three terms?

 

Remember that at this point, characters for basically every game were randomly generated, so making a minigame of generation was actually pretty innovative.

 

It's not the design choice that I would have made (or at least that I would make now), but it's not completely bonkers.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Heisler said:

To understand some of the original concepts for Traveller you should read the Dumerest of Terra series of books by E.C. Tubb. A 33 book series started in 1968 and I believe the last one was published in 2012 or so, just before he passed. You should be able to find most of the series available as pdfs for free on the web. They are typically only 150 pages or so, quick and easy reads and you will find out why you might have Halberd-4 or why you can die on low passage.

 

Are these Traveller's equivalent of GW's Black Library offerings? Sort of In/House novellas?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

I mean, am I supposed to play a buried or cremated corpse for the entire game?

As I recall generating one character took 3-5 minutes. And I bet anyone else was faster at it. 

 

So, rollup another until a satisfactory survivor happens. 

 

"Kills" the first hour of the first game session. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TGP said:

 

Are these Traveller's equivalent of GW's Black Library offerings? Sort of In/House novellas?

 

Sounds more like the game was ripped off them instead of vice versa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TGP said:

 

Are these Traveller's equivalent of GW's Black Library offerings? Sort of In/House novellas?

 

Not at all, these were all independently published and available at any bookstore. I always check used bookstores just to see if I can eventually acquire the entire series in paperback. EC Tubb was a prolific writer and wrote under a variety of pseudonyms as well, fascinating individual.

 

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

 

Sounds more like the game was ripped off them instead of vice versa.

 

I wouldn't say that at all, they served as inspiration for the game but I would hardly say they were ripped off.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...