Five Bones A Day for 30 days! (Completed!)

Argentee

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok! Time for an update!

Day Eight:

IMG_3371.thumb.JPG.966968dbf905b44ea8cc7107133a7ca1.JPG

The overburdened henchman and sorceress have fallen in with bad company! I've been painting bits of the henchman since Day 1 whenever I had leftover paint. Just had to do the face and clothes when I reached day 8. 

Day 9:IMG_3374.thumb.JPG.32a5a9a3fa1a528377f69c094c35e65c.JPG

After a hard day at work, Skeletons were all I was up for. I kept layering leftover paint on the shields, and ended up with a weird corrosion effect on the one in the middle. 

Day 10: 

IMG_3369.thumb.JPG.1dc204f44ed333dbe31b9290390705c3.JPG

Zombies! The one on the left was done with quickshade. I don't like it, won't be using it again. But glad I figured that out before painting my Zombicide game up. 

• Like 17

I really should do something like this. I have so many unpainted, but have a hard time not trying to push myself to grow and paint well. I'm nervous about getting into bad habits from painting so fast such that when I give more attention I will be less patient or careful. I also wonder how speed painted figures look next to ones that had lots more time put in. Maybe I can find a balance that is not this fast but still gets things finished.

Edited by Blue Prophet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue Prophet said:

I really should do something like this. I have so many unpainted, but have a hard time not trying to push myself to grow and paint well. I'm nervous about getting into bad habits from painting so fast such that when I give more attention I will be less patient or careful. I also wonder how speed painted figures look next to ones that had lots more time put in. Maybe I can find a balance that is not this fast but still gets things finished.

The balance I've found is to have 5 o 6 on the desk that all require similar colors, and go at it like an assembly line. Do the flesh on everyone, base colors etc, and when they get to about 60% complete start concentrating on them individually. Really as long as you're putting paint to mini as often as possible, the pile will go down (until the next order comes in at least). It's the constant (or near to it as you can) practice that will bring speed just as in anything else.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

The balance I've found is to have 5 o 6 on the desk that all require similar colors, and go at it like an assembly line. Do the flesh on everyone, base colors etc, and when they get to about 60% complete start concentrating on them individually. Really as long as you're putting paint to mini as often as possible, the pile will go down (until the next order comes in at least). It's the constant (or near to it as you can) practice that will bring speed just as in anything else.

Exactly. Though I'm working with 30-50 on my desk which is a little crazy, I just choose 5 to paint each day assembly line style. But when I finish painting for the day, I look at what paint is left on my palette and grab minis I can use those colors on.

So I've got Swordsmen with just silver on the blades, or their boots and gloves painted. Bookshelves with four or five books painted blue, zombies in red-brown pants... The bookshelves I'll get all the books done while working on other minis, then finish up the dry brushing and metal bits on a day when I need an easy day. And it lets me get a bunch of different colors on the books without just squirting random colors down.

• Like 5

These look really good. You've figured out the trick to painting quantity without sacrificing too much in quality.  I do it more like Argentee, have 20-30 figures prepped but work on 3-5 at a time.  I slap paint on other random figures from time to time, but I use a wet palette so I don't have 'left over' paint to use up at the end of the day.   I also stick with limited colors, I pull out 10-12 bottles that look good together, put them on the palette and go. 

PS: if you thin down the quickshade it might look better. Do you use the can or the dropper bottle? 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 2

Day 11:

IMG_3378.thumb.JPG.a14a2f49a97a4d08e687fcf2225442fa.JPG

Pink is harder to work with than I thought. But the second mini from the right is just posed in such a way that I really wanted those ribbons pink. 

Day 12:

IMG_3381.thumb.JPG.be0542a1cf303be86f0de9afecd3c54a.JPG

And back to the color green. This day would have gone much faster without my cat deciding to "help" and my starting over. 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Zink said:

I'm impressed at your pace and that you're managing to keep it going. If you ever start getting low on minis I have a few hundreds you could paint. ::D:

Yeah, I'm just powering through the Bones minis... I still have a lot of metal and resin ones. But the practice on these on things like not flooding a mini with paint and getting a wash the right consistency will help when I start tackling metal again. 

After the 30 days, however, I'm going to take a break. Maybe paint some of the larger terrain pieces. 

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Ah, yes, the ever helpful cats. 

I now have to keep an bowl of water for her on my desk to keep her from drinking the paint water!

• Like 5

On 7/21/2017 at 5:24 PM, Argentee said:

Unfortunately my wet-palette snaps close rather than fully seals, so it doesn't do a very good job of keeping paint from day to day.

I have a can of quickshade. Will try it on some sacrificial minis another time.

I am having a similar problem with mine. Its a 99 cent store tupperware knock off you'd use for like a sandwich, and either I am not doing the palette right or its actually sealing too well because my palette 1) seems to dry out too quickly and 2) it seems to mold up:( maybe it sits on my kitchen table too much in sun:(